Pickpockets in Barcelona

captbuzz

I'd just take whatever normal anti-pickpocket measures you'd take in any city and double them. I make it a point to wear Travelsmith pants with zippers and Velcro flaps. Don't carry a full wallet if you don't need to. Avoid purses, bags, or backpacks that can't be secured. Be very cognizant of your surroundings.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice here, but you might want to check the Barcelona port forum, too.

Be aware, but don't be overly paranoid.

Treat Barcelona like any large city anywhere in the world. Do they have pickpockets? Undoubtedly. So does NY, Paris, Rome, etc.

We've been to Barcelona several times and will be there again next April on Explorer. Going ashore off a cruise ship makes prudence simpler. Take only your cabin key, a modest amount of cash, single credit card and ID, ideally not in a hip-pocket wallet or over the shoulder purse. Pay attention to your surroundings. Pickpockets are opportunistic, seldom confrontational.

Enjoy Barcelona...it's a great city, especially in the old town. Check out the City Museum which, like much of the old town, is built on Roman ruins. At the City Museum you can see this subterranean history.

Edited by Portolan

It helps if you stay a little bit outside of the intense tourist zone. We stayed up towards Sagrada Familia, and got more of a sense of the real lives going on in the city. When we walked into the heavily-touristed areas, I just kept a grip on my Pac Safe bag, with its steel inserts, and kept my eyes open. A few times when there were lines of tourists waiting to get in somewhere, I could see people being checked out. If you're alert, they won't bother you, they'll look for easier prey.

I'd listen to UUNetBill and double your normal precautions. Sure all cities have pickpockets, but Barcelona is about the worst. Leave your jewelry, most of your cards and money, and your passport in the hotel or ship safe.

Strongly agree with flukey and Bill - Barcelona really cannot be put into the same category as other large cities in the world. Barcelona is the #1 city for pickpocketing in the world on TripAdvisor (followed by Rome). This isn't a typical big city. On the positive side, it is generally simple pickpocketing - nothing dangerous like what exists in Rio.

In addition to Bill's tips, I also leave my watch on the ship (or put it in an enclosed pocket along with money or a credit card). Cameras need to be watched 100% of the time (difficult to do with some of the fascinating street performers). If you can put it around your neck and also hold it with your hand, it is probably safer than just carrying it (don't worry if you look like a dork).:)

We do not avoid the tourist areas as we feel that they are wonderful to visit so we take precautions. When all else fails, I am not above putting a safety pin to close the pocket of my slacks (although zippers and Velcro are obviously better options).

If someone "accidentally" spills something on you - move away - don't allow them to "help you" clean it up. This is a known scam. In fact, keep away from crowds whenever possible. I've suggested already visiting Las Rambla between 9 and 11 a.m. when there are fewer crowds.

Barcelona is a great city and there is nothing to fear if you take precautions. I do take a small handbag with the strap around my neck (another weird look) and hug the handbag against me - even though it only has tissues, lipstick and reading glasses, I still don't want it stolen.

We will be in Barcelona three times in the next 14 months and are looking forward to every visit.

Edited by Travelcat2

Treat Barcelona like any large city anywhere in the world. Do they have pickpockets? Undoubtedly. So does NY, Paris, Rome, etc.

We've been to Barcelona several times and will be there again next April on Explorer. Going ashore off a cruise ship makes prudence simpler. Take only your cabin key, a modest amount of cash, single credit card and ID, ideally not in a hip-pocket wallet or over the shoulder purse. Pay attention to your surroundings. Pickpockets are opportunistic, seldom confrontational.

Enjoy Barcelona...it's a great city, especially in the old town. Check out the City Museum which, like much of the old town, is built on Roman ruins. At the City Museum you can see this subterranean history.

This is sensible advice.

We were in Barcelona for five days at the end of July. Our hotel was in Placa Reial which is basically on Las Ramblas so we walked around there frequently. I had a normal bag with a flap I carried over my shoulder which I wore turned into my body. I also used my DSLR camera which I had out most of the time with the strap around my neck. There are so many wonderful photo opportunities.

We ate lunch inside little cafes rather then outside. When eating always remember to never leave phone, camera, bag on a table or hanging over the chair. I would put my camera back in my bag and have the straps tucked around my feet under the chair. But I do this anywhere even in my home city which isn't known for pickpockets.

We loved Barcelona and plan to return. We still have so much more to see there including the City Museum. We did enjoy a great Old City Historical Sights Runner Bean Tour, we tipped our guide well as she was wonderful.

Julie

I was worried about pickpockets on a recent cruise. I looked online for pickpocket proof pants. I bought two pair of the convertible pants. I was amazed by how comfortable they were as well as feeling safe about carrying items in my pocket. I liked being able to use them as shorts on warm days, and as long pants in the evening

I had my real wallet in the "third (hidden) pocket and a cheap wallet with just a few one dollar bills in the "second" pocket, with the zipper and button for protection. I will use these pants anytime I am in an area that I feel that pickpockets are active. I also carried all the valuables for my wife and son. ENJOY YOUR TRIP.

Best advice was given to us from a guide in Palermo. Pick pockets don't want confirtation - they just want your money, jewelry, etc. Being aware is key and start kicking if surrounded by little kids - don't use your hands. The kids will take off very quickly. Folks on organized trips are very prone to being a Victim because they think they Safe because they are in a big group - this is not true at all. My husband has the "right" pants and if I carry a purse it has the stuff a

I need a bottle of water, guide book, etc. The money and a credit card is someplace else on me - sometimes my bra! We have never had an issue, so let's hope our upcoming trip to South Africa goes smoothly also!! We also love Barcelona, but I don't hang my bag on a back of chair like I do in the states!!

Best advice was given to us from a guide in Palermo. Pick pockets don't want confirtation - they just want your money, jewelry, etc. Being aware is key and start kicking if surrounded by little kids - don't use your hands. The kids will take off very quickly. Folks on organized trips are very prone to being a Victim because they think they Safe because they are in a big group - this is not true at all. My husband has the "right" pants and if I carry a purse it has the stuff a

I need a bottle of water, guide book, etc. The money and a credit card is someplace else on me - sometimes my bra! We have never had an issue, so let's hope our upcoming trip to South Africa goes smoothly also!! We also love Barcelona, but I don't hang my bag on a back of chair like I do in the states!!

We have been to Barcelona 3 times on cruises. We purchased a neck safe that you wear around your neck under your clothes. It's not visisible and we felt very safe with that on. You can fit your passport, credit cards, money and maybe a couple of very small items in it.

Many years ago in Rome my wife was targeted by a pickpocket, actually a team of gypsies. He was not prepared for the ties she had on her bag and was not successful. Our son and daughter were with us and my son developed a pickpocket defense when we got home. He took an old wallet put some newspaper in the bill section and a nice picture in the ID place with a drawing of a hand with a raised middle digit. He told me to put this in my regular back pocket for diversion. I carry it still. He grew up to be a Navy Seal.

Greetings from South Beach, Iamheisenberg. We know Barcelona very well after multiple trips. Be especially alert on Las Ramblas. One tip: If you ever see a sign warning about pickpockets, do not tap the locations of your valuables, you know, to check. The person standing nearby may be a prep, and you have just advertised the best places to rob. If someone drops keys or a wallet near you, don't be helpful. Leave the stuff where it fell.

La Boqueria is a major destination right on Las Ramblas for hordes of people, and appears to be pickpocket free. It wouldn't do for shoppers to be robbed on site. The people who make their very good livings in there certainly protect their reputations.

Unfortunately, we are returning directly to the Beach at the conclusion of the cruise. Our plane departs at 12:15pm, so no market stop. After 14 days of great good, that's a good thing, I suppose.

Mary

Edited by warburg

Here's a great site to check out of info:

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/avoid-pickpockets-barcelona-spain-100602.html

DH was targeted by a pickpocketing duo on the subway. As we were getting on, one woman stopped in front of him and acted like she was looking for someone. Another woman stopped behind him. They were not successful (don't know why not) and he was a little disappointed because he had an empty wallet in his back pocket as a decoy.:rolleyes:

Dress like a local -- no clunky sports shoes, no belly bag, no USA team/whatever logo'd clothes. The more nondescript you appear the less likely you are to be targeted. Move with confidence, pay attention to what's around you. And have a good time!

The size of your camera would dictate how you want to secure it. If you are in a high pickpocket area, you will most likely be in a tourist area and wanting to take pictures. The camera will be visible, so use a secure strap that can not be easily cut with a small knife. A short piece of high grade wire should do the trick. Please don't become overly concerned, that you miss the enjoyment of the area.

Years ago hubby and I were in Lisbon for a few days prior to a cruise. We were getting on a tram and I was swept up by a group of young people and pinned against a window. Hubby had stepped on just before me and made his way to the ticket machine and he did not see what happened to me. I tried to get to him but the people barred the way by putting their arms up and practically in my face. I yelled and they all fled. This scared the heck out of me.

Luckily they did not get anything. I had just a small purse - basically a wallet on a strap, and it was across my chest. They had time to unsnap it, but not to take anything. They would not have got much since I had just one credit card, a picture ID and a few Euros.

A few years later we were starting a cruise in Barcelona and I read about the pick pockets there and I was a bit worried. I bought a small Pacsafe purse. They are great, slash resistant and you can clip the zippers closed so you need 2 hands to open. I feel a bit better with it, though I try to be super aware of what is going on around me.

Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered the pants and the wife will not carry her purse. Any thoughts on protecting a camera?

Not sure about the size of your camera, but, I am a professional photographer and travel with some very nice camera equipment.

I use a pretty well worn canvas grocery bag to carry my camera stuff when I am out on excursion. Never a camera bag or backpack. No one is going to want to take that.

And I also use a binocular harness. It fits over the shoulders and back just like a pair of suspenders. If you wear it under a jacket with the camera in the front you would not have a visible camera strap around your neck. The jacket/sweater hides the camera - which slides up and down. It comes in an elastic version but the webbed straping is better.

For money and passports, I wear the waist pack type of security belt. It goes inside my most inner most layer under my dainties and next to my skin. My husband has one that he wears inside his socks.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/170290-REG/OP_TECH_USA_5301412_Bino_Cam_Harness_Binocular_or.html

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

The military taught me to carry a throw away wallet that will mitigate your losses. It contains an extra drivers' license, my travel only credit card, and some cash. I usually use Regent's ID wallets since they are small and thin and fit easily into my front pocket. However, even with all this rambling about my security awareness, I still got robbed in a Roman subway by a lady supposedly carrying a baby. :eek: Took my wallet right out of my right front pocket. Así es la vida.

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered the pants and the wife will not carry her purse. Any thoughts on protecting a camera?

I have only read some of the posts on this thread, but Barcelona is one of those cities to be careful in.

For camera, I do not take my good DSLR in places like Barcelona. I would take a point and shoot camera with me and I just hold it securely in my hand or if I want my hands free I put it inside a trousers, jacket etc that has a zipper on it.

I have actually seen first hand someone ripping out of the hand of someone else a DSLR camera.

I just want to make some additional comments. Some might have been said already.

Don't wear and jewelry other than an inexpensive watch. That makes you less of a target.

I wear a secure travel wallet under my shirt. I taken only one credit card with me. If I needed to withdraw cash at an ATM I would take one ATM card with me too. And I take cash.

We try to be street smart. I do the same in many cities. I just keep an eye on my surrounding areas. If someone is walking closely behind my wife and myself I let them pass.

Also do not carry a passport around with you.

Barcelona is a wonderful city. We've been there many times. My perception is that it is a little better with respect to crime now than say five years ago. But it is still an issue there. Unemployment is high in Spain.

As a tourist it is easy to be a target.

Have a great time.

Keith

We were there about 5 years ago and I had a mesh tote that you could see through. It had a water bottle in it and that is all. My husband is 6'6" tall and he was carrying the bag. He was surrounded by 5 gypsies who were all shorter than he is. I yelled at him to give them the bag as he swung to hit one or two of them. They ran away. I was appalled as I always felt that because of his size he would not be picked on. We only had 35 Euros in his belt. I have a pocket sewn in my underpants where I keep the ship cards. Maybe a little cash. They will have to take me down literally to get that. We do not wear any jewelry and he wears a $19 watch. Jeans and flip flops. Looking bad is better than looking good! We do this in any questionable city.

In May of 1995 while on a Paris trip we ventured out to the large flea market via the metro. On our return while on an escalator in the metro we were surrounded by a group of young gypsy (assumed) men who jostled me and a couple pinned me against the rail while the other two patted me down to the ankles looking for a wallet or travel wallet. I started screaming "police" at the top of my lungs and they disappeared. The station was virtually empty so no response from anyone. I was wearing a money belt and had enough layers of clothing that they didn't get anything but it was unsettling. I try to be a little more careful since then on where I go and the means of transportation we use.