question about anytime dining

tommy47

my wife and I were on the sillouette in January and we did the regular dining and had asked for a table for 2. we did get a table for 2 but it was like 2 inches from another couple. that meant the whole cruise we were basically dining with them and we really would prefer to be alone. were thinking of trying the anytime dining next time we go on the same ship. are there tables for 2 in the anytime dining room and if there is do you think were going to run into the same problem. we will be going later so do you think there will be tables alone> thank you

"Anytime dining" is held in the same dining room you were in previously... but is located on one side of the upper level. The table layouts will mostly be the same, and tables for two are typically quite close together (but 2" is QUITE close). You might check with the Maitre D to inquire about a more private location, but you may not necessarily find one. :(

Having not traveled on the Silhouette I can't comment on that ship however on both our Summit trips we have asked for a table for 2 along the railing looking over the main dining room. We explain on the first night that this is important to us and don't mind waiting as long as it takes to get one. Sometimes we were given a pager and then went to the bar, other nights we were seated immediately.

I enjoy the private time with my husband. We have on occasion met others on the ship with open dining and made dinner plans together for a night or two.

While many tables for two are very close together, there are some that are not. You can certainly ask to be seated at a more private table, especially if you are willing to wait.

If you find a table you like you 'may' be able to reserve it ahead of time, depending on several factors.

Better to just sit with others...it's certainly more fun! You have 22 hours in the day to be all alone...a chat over dinner is so nice!

Sharing a table isn't everyone's preference and those of us who prefer not to share should not have to defend our choice, but here is our reasons.

We have had more awkward dinners than pleasant when sharing a table. We are willing to share at breakfast and lunch but not at dinner. Many times we have conversations with others that are close to our table but when the conversation doesn't occur we are not stuck in an uncomfortable situation. We also can dine at our pace. Sometimes we want quick service to see entertainment, other times we want a more leisurely meal. Dining alone allows you to control the pace.

On the Eclipse in February, some two toppers were very close to the next table but there were others that had more privacy.

Better to just sit with others...it's certainly more fun! You have 22 hours in the day to be all alone...a chat over dinner is so nice!

Sharing a table isn't everyone's preference and those of us who prefer not to share should not have to defend our choice...

Agreed, but just so you know she always says that. Very strong views on certain things. ;):p

If you're asking if you can just go to the Select line if you're not signed up for it, then I think the answer is "no." We tried Select this last cruise and the hostess keyed in our room number every time. They do keep up with it.

can you change your mine while on the ship from regular dining to anytime dining? thank you

If you mean that you want to drop into my time dining when you wish - no. If you mean that you want to drop fixed time dining and totally switch to anytime - only if there is space available and ther often is no space available.

DON

We usually share a table, but sometimes, especially after a busy port day, we just like to unwind by ourselves and not "chat" with others.

When we requested and were seated at tables for 2 in the past, they indeed were extremely close to other tables of 2 which we didn't enjoy.

Next time we'll definitely request a more private location.

Thanks

On most ships 2 tops are very close to other tables, think only once have we had one that was actually private.

Last cruse we had a table for 8 to ourselves, it was very nice, but maybe a table for 4 would have been even better.

when you book your cruise and sign up for late dining in the regular dining room and later while on the cruise you decided to go to anytime dining could you do that. thank you

We've found it's possible to change on a particular night by speaking to the maitre'd if there was some event we wanted to go to that conflicted with our dining time.

I agree, the tables are very close! Where we sat on Reflection (select dining) - we were beside a service station. There was a 2-top beside a window, then another 2-top and then our 4-top.

I'm not sure of the exact measurement, but the tables were very close.

Because we dine with our children and as courtesy to those passengers who may not want to dine with our children, we always sat our kids beside the service station, so that DH and I were beside the two-top.

The couple beside the window seemed to have more privacy but we may as well have been a 6-top with the couple beside us. But it worked out well as we all got along.

They need "paths" for the waiters to move.

You may want to request a window seat, as this will ensure a "path" for the waiters to move right beside you.

On Eclipse there is an area at the back of the dining room which definitely had a few "private" tables.

I don't think they were very popular with many diners because they were out of the way but I preferred them because it meant that it was quiet.