Excursions: Take food off ship to bring?

steveknj

We are taking the Dream late June and we were looking at excursions and some of them last 6 hours or more. There are options to take the excursions with or without a meal. I'd consider without the meals and save a few bucks if I can take food off the ship and eat it on the bus or at the destination. Is that acceptable or are there rules about taking food off the sip at ports of call?

at Cozumel in feb., they had dogs sniffing out fruit!!:) they had bags full of fruit that they got from the cruisers!!:)

You do not want the cute Golden or Lab siting next to you.

You can also bring cereal's.

I do this, haha, love my dry cereal - just one box is a lovely snack - but I usually only do it now whenever we disembark - I never usually have time to stop anywhere from ship to airport

Edited by aubreyc1988

WE always bring snack bags of trail mix, peanuts, etc from home to get us through port days...then eat a late lunch when we get back on the ship. Our dinner seating is always late, so it works for us.

at Cozumel in feb., they had dogs sniffing out fruit!!:) they had bags full of fruit that they got from the cruisers!!:)

We were also in Cozumel in February. We were on the Freedom, Panorama (1055) and the gangway was directly below. We saw the dogs waiting for debark to begin. There were a few surprised people.

We spoke to the officials managing the dogs when we debarked and they said they had the right to fine people taking food off but for now at least they were just confiscating items.

The rule is no food, but they never check. I' be thought about taking a sandwich off in a zip lock bag which we always carry. Never have but do carry snack bars.

The ships doesn't check but port officers may be waiting with dogs to sniff items out. It is becoming more common.

We also take a small box of Cheerios from the buffet if we are going snorkeling. The fish loves them. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've heard that feeding cereal to the fish is bad for them. Something to do with their digestive systems not being designed to process grains.

Edited by SeaScout

I've heard that feeding cereal to the fish is bad for them. Something to do with their digestive systems not being designed to process grains.

This is kind of a no brainier. Wild fish were not meant to eat our highly processed sugary cereals. Lots of snorkel tours will throw out chips, crackers, etc and it is not good for the fish, though they do go crazy for it.

I have never understood not eating in the port, rather than bringing food off, or rushing back to eat. No confrontation here, its just one of those things that we look forward to at each port, is someplace to try the local foods.

I have never been disappointed. :)

That's good to know, we did not think of that... Thanks. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Had no problem taking sandwiches off the ship in Cabo and PV last month. They were only looking for fruit and veggies.

You were lucky. It is the port officials choice but bringing off contraband can result in arrest. Ignorance of the laws will not be considered for leniency. If they choose you to make an example of, it will more than ruin your cruise.

There is no need to sneak food off the ship. Just stuff yourself at breakfast buffet and you won't need lunch.

This is usually what I do.

I have never understood not eating in the port, rather than bringing food off, or rushing back to eat. No confrontation here, its just one of those things that we look forward to at each port, is someplace to try the local foods.

I have never been disappointed. :)

I think for some people the thought process goes like this:

Food on board = free

Food in port = not free (with a few exceptions)

Food on board = safe

Food in port = take your chances with safety

I wouldn't hesitate to eat in most ports if I were hungry enough, but I'm usually not that hungry and can wait until I get back to the ship.