Would You Ever Knock On A Cabin Door

ducklite

Because you wanted to see that cabin type or for any other reason?

I've read more than a few posts on these boards where someone knocked on a cabin door and asked the occupants if they could look around, change cabins, or who knows why else. Would you ever do this?

Unless it was a matter of safety (I noticed their young child trying to climb over the railing for example) or an item had fallen from their balcony into mine and I wanted to return it, I would never do this.

Would you, and under what circumstances?

I've read more than a few posts on these boards where someone knocked on a cabin door and asked the occupants if they could look around, change cabins, or who knows why else. Would you ever do this?

Unless it was a matter of safety (I noticed their young child trying to climb over the railing for example) or an item had fallen from their balcony into mine and I wanted to return it, I would never do this.

I would never knock on a cabin door of a complete stranger. I would speak to someone in reservations and if there was an empty cabin they could potentially show it to me for a future booking.

If you are interested in seeing the other cabins take part in or start a Cabin Crawl on your next voyage. Here people interested volunteer their cabins for viewing by the other passengers on the roll call.

But, just knocking on someones door who may be sleeping, getting dressed or who knows what just opens a can of worms that seems foolish when you're on holiday, why go there.

Jonathan

I wouldn't want to invite a stranger into my cabin unless it was part of an organized pre-arranged event like a cabin crawl. There are just too many things that could go wrong.

cold? oh hell no.

Seems some people do like to sightsee in other cabins.

Years ago, DH and I were sailing Zenith in the Royal Suite.

I came back to the cabin mid morning which was out of my usual routine. I found the door open and assumed the steward was cleaning. What I found was a young couple on the couch and steward was taking their photo.

I was furious.

After he fumbled and mumbled and got rid of them, I saw cash in his hand. It was clear he was 'selling' the opportunity for people to have their photo taken in the suite, take a tour and go home to tell their friends and relatives about the gorgeous cabin they had been in. :rolleyes:

Of course, my instinct was to report him but I chose not to. I did not want to be the person responsible for him either losing his job or having a bad black mark against his name. (Yes, I get it........ he would be the responsible one but I wanted no part of it.)

Instead, I stared right at his face which was sweating and going very white and told him he had just earned himself the unenviable job of having to meet my every tiny wish for the remainder of the cruise and should I get a hint he had not changed his habits, all bets were off.

We likely would have gotten the same outstanding service given the cabin we paid for but this guy knocked himself out for the rest of our cruise. :)

I don't regret the choice I made.

This is where tablemates come in handy! We love tablemates, get to know them during dinner, and usually, sometime before the cruise is done, we check out each other's cabins, if we are in different catagories. Easy!

And sure...if the door is open, while I won't go in, I will peek!!!

Along the lines of my above post, there's been something I've read here lately that bothers me a bit.

I've read a number of times how a cruiser ran to front office or found a random officer to report all sorts of things they had observed.

Did someone really have to report a woman who left the ladies room without washing? The deed was done... what was the point. If one is to be observing such things, speak up to the person who can do something at the moment. Speak up to the offender.

I've read of 'going directly to the front office' to what amounts to 'tattle' IMO

What is this about?

Unless you something truly dangerous, really threatening, you really want to be telling teacher on each little thing you see?

I only once (that I recall) reported a crew member for what I thought a dangerous action.

I was on a ship recovering from a recent heart attack and open heart surgery. I was going my slow pace on the treadmill as instructed by my physician. A member of the Steiner crew came by my machine, said nothing to me and switched the speed and angle setting saying I was not working hard enough. I was astounded.

After getting myself safely off the treadmill, I waited until I could get him privately. I told him he had endangered my very life by doing that and told him why. I said to keep his hands in his pockets if he cannot resist resetting guest's speeds/angle on a treadmill. Had he responded appropriately, I would have figured he learned a lesson and wouldn't do it again. His answer to me was "We aren't supposed to keep our hands in our pockets'. The blood pressure I zoomed to likely was not very healthy for my healing heart.

I made a point of reporting that young man as he truly endangered by well-being and likely would to it to someone else in the (near) future.

Sail7Seas -- While I can appreciate the untenable situation you found yourself in, I think that I would have reported the room steward. My immediate reaction would have been -- how many others' trust has he betrayed by parading people through that suite, when he thought nobody would catch him? :eek: And, I definitely would have reported the Steiner!

Bottom line: Celebrity (or any other cruiseline) doesn't need employees like that!

Edited by wwcruisers

Even if I knew the person from Roll Call or from Meet n Greet I would never knock on their door to see the cabin or exchange. That is rude imo.

Sail7Seas -- While I can appreciate the untenable situation you found yourself in, I think that I would have reported the room steward. My immediate reaction would have been -- how many others' trust has he betrayed by parading people through that suite, when he thought nobody would catch him? :eek: And, I definitely would have reported the Steiner!

Bottom line: Celebrity (or any other cruiseline) doesn't need employees like that!

When I have paid seven or eight or more thousands of dollars for a cruise, unless a seriously dangerous condition, I do not intend to be the cruise line's security department. I have no intention of spending my vacation time writing statements, being interviewed, speaking with various crew in order for them to handle their unsuitable stewards. I checked none of our property was missing and it is for the cruise line to deal with their crew.

BUT that was the point of my question.

Do you run to 'teacher' to tell all the mis-steps you might observe during your cruise? Clearly, I do not.

We were enjoying dinner with the Captain and other nice amenities. A report such as you suggest suddenly turns us into the 'enemy'. That is not who I want to be during my cruise. I much rather cocktails and dinner and a very fun evening.

Edited by sail7seas

In case of emergency, or if my neighbors are too loud, but then I'd probably call them, not knock on the door.

I would not allow anyone into the cabin if they ask out of curiosity.

Seems some people do like to sightsee in other cabins.

Years ago, DH and I were sailing Zenith in the Royal Suite.

I came back to the cabin mid morning which was out of my usual routine. I found the door open and assumed the steward was cleaning. What I found was a young couple on the couch and steward was taking their photo.

I was furious.

After he fumbled and mumbled and got rid of them, I saw cash in his hand. It was clear he was 'selling' the opportunity for people to have their photo taken in the suite, take a tour and go home to tell their friends and relatives about the gorgeous cabin they had been in. :rolleyes:

Of course, my instinct was to report him but I chose not to. I did not want to be the person responsible for him either losing his job or having a bad black mark against his name. (Yes, I get it........ he would be the responsible one but I wanted no part of it.)

Instead, I stared right at his face which was sweating and going very white and told him he had just earned himself the unenviable job of having to meet my every tiny wish for the remainder of the cruise and should I get a hint he had not changed his habits, all bets were off.

We likely would have gotten the same outstanding service given the cabin we paid for but this guy knocked himself out for the rest of our cruise. :)

I don't regret the choice I made.

I would call security immediately. Who knows what else he's been doing. It was his choice to take photos, to risk his job.

I would call security immediately. Who knows what else he's been doing. It was his choice to take photos, to risk his job.

He was lucky he did it to me (us) and not someone else who would have turned him in.

I didn't want or need the aggravation on my vacation..

I checked to be sure we were not missing anything and he knew there

would be no second chance with us. He was faultless (to us) the rest of the cruise. :)

It was a serious offense but not the worst crime of the century.

I did not feel threatened or at risk and hopefully getting caught taught

him the lesson he badly needed to learn.

I would do the same again.