British Isles Royal Princess - taking food off ship

cavcmy

Does anyone who has been on this cruise remember if you were allowed to take food/snacks off the ship for excursions? I know it is not allowed in some countries but reading customs/entry regulations for the various ports on the British Isles cruise, it sounds like you may be able to do it. Thanks for your help.

This is a common topic raised by newbies and the answer is no. Many countries are worried that food can contain molds, larve, spores, etc. and devastate the local agriculture. (In 1989 the Mediterranean Fruit Fly, a native of Africa, caused severe damage to California citrus crops. Although a cruise ship was not responsible it's an example of what can happen when an invasive species is introduced.) If you are caught leaving the ship with food you will be required to throw it in the garbage can.

Edited by BlueRiband

You may take pre-packaged stuff...cereal, granola bars, crackers, etc....stuff in sealed packages. You may not take off sandwiches, fruit, veggies, meats or cheeses.

In most countries, they can fine you..or even, arrest you.

On LONG excursions, a meal is usually provided. If it's only a couple hours, eat hearty before you leave the ship! You won't starve...I swear!

Edited by cb at sea

They do have restaurants in the British Isles so no need to go without

Pack snack bars or protein bars

I take snack bars incase we need something on a tour before the lunch stop or if we do not find food before my blood sugar drops

Edited by LHT28

Normally the rule is no food may be taken off the ship, but that is the visited country's rule not Princess's. However, I think we are on the same cruise in August and as the ship, the Royal, will be spending the summer in the BIs it will be provisioned in the UK. So if you are comfortable that the British laws permit you leaving the ship with food...why not. La Havre, I would spend some more time looking into it.

You may take pre-packaged stuff...cereal, granola bars, crackers, etc....stuff in sealed packages. You may not take off sandwiches, fruit, veggies, meats or cheeses.

In most countries, they can fine you..or even, arrest you.

On LONG excursions, a meal is usually provided. If it's only a couple hours, eat hearty before you leave the ship! You won't starve...I swear!

I am sorry to disagree but we have found that taking sandwiches off the ship has been fine in several European Countries we have sailed, while it is clearly not permitted in other countries ranging from the Caribbean to Australia/New Zealand.

It really is country specific.

I also want to note that not only do some rules vary by cruise line but our experience is that it can change from time to time by the country we are visiting.

I do think that CruiserBruce gave good advice which is to ask on the specific cruise line board and I would list the countries being visited. But even with that the original poster needs to confirm all of this once on the ship.

Keith

People who are posting that it is a blanket no are just incorrect. The cruise lines often have policies that prohibit taking food off of the ships but the rules of the countries where you are docking are often different. The OP needs to investigate the rules in the UK and make a decision. As for the Americans who are chiming in that it is not allowed, unless you have actually taken a cruise inteh UK you have no idea what is allowed and what isn't and your advice is not helpful.

As someone who was in the food import/export business, can I just say that the UK has no restrictions on bringing into the country any of the type of food items that you would find on any cruise ship - I assume that the OP is not planning on acquiring some raw meat from the galley and smuggling that out in his pocket.

The individual cruise line may of course have their own rules about this practise.

As has been stated, other countries are much more strict. Australia for example will not let you even bring in a single apple.

''You may take pre-packaged stuff...cereal, granola bars, crackers, etc....stuff in sealed packages. You may not take off sandwiches, fruit, veggies, meats or cheeses.''

Sorry - as far as the UK is concerned that is totally untrue.

I am the OP. Thank you all so much for your replies. The UK pamphlet affirms what I was thinking for the ports on the British Isles cruise, but will double-check when we are on the ship. Appreciate your help.