Luggage tags being withdrawn fleetwide

LeeGrant

RCCL have been told me that luggage tags are being withdrawn from all sailings soon.

An email will be sent 4 weeks before the cruise and you will need to print your own.

Goodness knows what will happen if it is raining when you unload your suitcases as the ink will run on the printed paper.

Either that or the poor porters are going to be overrun with requests for them to add tags.

Lee

on our first couple sailings, we didn't even know we could order luggage tags. We just took the e-doc version and printed those. Laminated them and attached with cable ties. Worked great (mostly, first sailing one was ripped from the cable tie.:( )

Erika

No problem.

We booked a last minute cruise last month and left before luggage tags arrived so I printed the (cabin location) picture on the last page of the Set Sail Pass and taped it around the handle of my suitcase using wide clear plastic packing tape. It could have rained buckets and nothing would have smeared.

taped it around the handle of my suitcase using wide clear plastic packing tape. It could have rained buckets and nothing would have smeared.

Thats exactly what I did on my first cruise with Carnival. Worked great! In fact the duffle bag I took on that cruise still has those tags on there from almost 4 years ago! LOL

Yep, Carnival has been doing it for several years. Had no problem with the packing tape.

Just think of how much money can be saved from postage and handling not to mention the tags themselves. May have an affect on the fares. Wouldn't that be great?

I thought as much as I have been able to order my luggage labels before I have even paid my balance but now can't find this option anywhere! I liked the luggage tags....I have all the ones we have used since we started cruising in my shoebox of memories.

Do you think you will still get the ones that at the end of your cruise?

CK x

Even now that they don't send them out automatically, it is an obvious cost for printing and mailing them for those who manage to order them. If they actually did away with the tags it would strike me as a bit cheap, but I guess I would survive. However, it may make bag drop off even more hectic.

RCCL have been told me that luggage tags are being withdrawn from all sailings soon.

An email will be sent 4 weeks before the cruise and you will need to print your own.

Lee

Sounds good to me!

I like them because you can print as many as you'd like, put an extra tag or two on your suitcases and using a piece of clear packing tape on the tag itself they are virtually indestructible!

I thought as much as I have been able to order my luggage labels before I have even paid my balance but now can't find this option anywhere!

CK x

I didnt think they were available until about 49 days from sail date or when your documents are available

You may wanna check again in about 3 weeks for your very next sailing :)

Yep, Carnival has been doing it for several years. Had no problem with the packing tape.

Just think of how much money can be saved from postage and handling not to mention the tags themselves. May have an affect on the fares. Wouldn't that be great?

Highly unlikely.

Goodness knows what will happen if it is raining when you unload your suitcases as the ink will run on the printed paper.

Either that or the poor porters are going to be overrun with requests for them to add tags.

Lee

This has not been confirmed as yet..they are still doing trials on the Independence with using paper tags rather than the usual tags.

Ok , so it's no big deal to print them yourself ( apart from the fact I don't have a printer ) the fact that people then have to find a way to make them strong enough to stand all the handling once you hand them to the porters , suggests that these printed tags are sub standard , we ourselves are concerned that our bags will go missing because the tags are sub standard so we make the self print tag system work by adapting them , what if we just printed them and stuck them on ? Royal could end up with a problem on their hands with loads of bags going astray and the headache they find themselves with , trying to match passengers to their bags , I am sure they would then get their act together and realise that we do actualy like getting proper luggage tags , we pay enough to cruise to warrant a little bit of consideration , seems to me that penny pinching works well in some cases , like us printing off our own set sail passes etc but come on Royal give us decent luggage tags .

However, it may make bag drop off even more hectic.

I agree, one thing bag handlers like is consistency. Being able to know what they look like and where to find them makes for a speedier delivery. If having a hodge podge of tags on bags adds 2 seconds to each bag's delivery, that adds up to alot of man hours.

Lee

I laminated ours using clear packaging tape so they wouldn’t get destroyed. I also secured them to our luggage using the same tape. I had to cut them off of our luggage before flying home after the Cruise.

I haven´t seen a luggage tag from the cruise line in years (they don´t send them to you over here, not even on request) and to be honest I don´t need them.

I just printed them off and attached them to my bags. Not a single one was lost and luggage delivery was always quick.

As it´s been mentioned Princess does this for quite a while now as well and it works painless there as well.

Seems that other lines have been doing this for quite some time without major issues.

Once we all get past the learning curve/change it will become a normal process. Remember how many folks were having such a hard time when the printed documents stopped or when the tags were not automatic?

Can't say I like the idea, but I'm sure I will adapt. My biggest issue is that we don't like to put our tags on until after our flight. So now I will have to carry packing tape. Not a huge deal, but not great either.

Archived