Fake eyelashes: Everyday now?

shipgeeks

On the women on Dancing With the Stars, I expect fake eyelashes.

On female newscasters, I accept them.

Now, in real life, I see high school girls and working women wearing them every day. Is this the new Must Do?

If I'm only using my super-extravagant mascara on my cruise, especially on gala night, will I be a Plain Jane?

I don't think you will look like a Plain Jane. I am normally a no makeup type, but will wear it on gala/formal nights especially if we are having pictures taken. Even then, I just use eye shadow and mascara. I have nothing against them, but no fake lashes for me.

Lisa

I love the look of false lashes (the more natural looking ones, not the crazy over the top ones), but find them SO DIFFICULT to put on, that I just don't mess with it. I can't remember seeing a lot of ladies wearing them on the cruises I've been on.

Personally I think the whole fake eyelash thing has gotten out of control, and they look ridiculous on "everyday" women. Most of them are way too long and so obviously fake. I'm sure many think people are staring in jealousy, the reality is that they are staring thinking "did she actually look in the mirror after she had them applied?"

Now, in real life, I see high school girls and working women wearing them every day. Is this the new Must Do?

If I'm only using my super-extravagant mascara on my cruise, especially on gala night, will I be a Plain Jane?

Are you sure? My daughters have lashes so long, dark and lush that they could be mistaken for fake. My own lashes are pretty nice, but my girls got those from my husband -- not from CVS.

I have really long lashes, so I tint them and when the occasion arises I just use a clear mascara on them to make them look more made up. If I put regular mascara on them I look like the guy from Clockwork Orange they are so long!

I have also applied eyelash extensions on clients and it is not cheap, a professional treatment will cost $$$ with infills around the 7 week mark, but this is individual lashes painstaking applied not huge clusters of spiders legs! I agree those are not attractive at all. I had a girl come in for a facial with a pair on, I don't know what she was thinking about!

If I have a special occasion of a party nature I will put a few in a cluster at the end of my own lashes in a colour to match my attire/makeup. I also occasionally use Givenchy lash pearls, extremely fiddly product and over the top but everyone notices as it is like tiny tiny rain drops on your eye lashes but I think I am getting too old for those, although working in the industry you get away with things!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

I have really long lashes, so I tint them and when the occasion arises I just use a clear mascara on them to make them look more made up. If I put regular mascara on them I look like the guy from Clockwork Orange they are so long!

I have also applied eyelash extensions on clients and it is not cheap, a professional treatment will cost $$$ with infills around the 7 week mark, but this is individual lashes painstaking applied not huge clusters of spiders legs! I agree those are not attractive at all. I had a girl come in for a facial with a pair on, I don't know what she was thinking about!

If I have a special occasion of a party nature I will put a few in a cluster at the end of my own lashes in a colour to match my attire/makeup. I also occasionally use Givenchy lash pearls, extremely fiddly product and over the top but everyone notices as it is like tiny tiny rain drops on your eye lashes but I think I am getting too old for those, although working in the industry you get away with things!

Clockwork Orange - now THAT is an image that is hard to get rid of :eek:

I think some women are spending too much time watching the ladies on Reality TV and trying to emulate them. The Real Housewives, the K family... nothing like fake makeup 24/7...

I've noticed this trend too. I don't mind fake lashes that at least look somewhat natural, but the huge obviously fake ones are too much for me.

In fact, I don't like the whole make-up trend that makes people look like mannequins or china masks with the over-the-top contouring and air-brushed ? (not sure how they get that look) perfection.

I think a lot of it does come from reality tv/magazines where celebrities and others take make up to the extreme.

I also think it can be very bad for the self esteem of many young girls--my own granddaughters have issues with 'not looking good enough'--and they are comparing themselves to pictures with professional and extreme make up that are most likely also photo shopped and/or air brushed and enhanced beyond reality.

No, you won't be a plain Jane at all! I think a lot of people on cruises prefer a hassel-free look, so you definitely won't be alone.

I personally get eyelash extensions, and I love them. They're definitely not for everyone, though. I love how they look, and I love that I don't have to bother putting mascara on my top lashes. The only time I've ever worn false eyelashes was when I was going through chemo and all my natural lashes had fallen out. They're such a pain to put on! And I hated that I could feel them sitting there all the time.

No, you won't be a plain Jane at all! I think a lot of people on cruises prefer a hassel-free look, so you definitely won't be alone.

I personally get eyelash extensions, and I love them. They're definitely not for everyone, though. I love how they look, and I love that I don't have to bother putting mascara on my top lashes. The only time I've ever worn false eyelashes was when I was going through chemo and all my natural lashes had fallen out. They're such a pain to put on! And I hated that I could feel them sitting there all the time.

I did eyelash extensions once and they were a nightmare. Besides having to have them filled in continually, and having to be careful how you sleep so you don't wake up with lashes that go every direction, I prefer fake ones. I only wear them when I am dressed up, and prefer ones that are natural looking.

It's a result of Instagram/selfies more than anything. And yeah, if women of "our" generation (I'll say 40 and up?) were ravaged with ego problems over how we looked, I would NOT want to be a teenage girl right now.

That said, I'd wear them if I could, but my hands aren't steady enough, and in any case I have yet to find an eye makeup style that doesn't add a couple of years to my face, so I kind of gave up on the whole Sephora lifestyle. :)

I don't think it's a 'must do'...it's just a trend right now.

I don't wear a ton of makeup personally, but sometimes I like to have fun with makeup - esp for going out at night.

I think fake lashes can be very pretty if done right...sometimes I'll wear them, if I have the time/patience to put them on! I use the accent lashes that just go on the outer corners (Arden 301 Lashes, for example). They're subtle, but fun.

As with everything...to each his own. ;)

Remember a lot of mascara out there is now designed to lengthen. I use Benefits They're Real and have been asked if they were real. Then you've got the fiber based ones by IT Cosmetics, Younique and other brands.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

Everyone has their own preferences on how they would like themselves to look (I'm pretty sure this has always been the case and isn't anything new). Some people really enjoy spending time in front of the mirror doing their hair and makeup for THEMSELVES. Don't take it personal; wear as much or as little makeup as you would like to wear. Most likely, no one else will pay you any mind.

I'm concerned that there are so many posts in Cruise Fashions and Beauty that are so focused on how OP doesn't think they measure up to how others look. This isn't just directed at you, shipgeeks, I've seen it a lot here (people think they're too fat, not fashionable enough, not rich enough, etc), but I hope you're ok :( Everyone deserves to feel their best, and I hope how others look doesn't put a damper on your holiday.

I have very thin lashes that have gotten even thinner with age. But I cannot wear fake lashes or even mascara.I get conjunctivitis EVERY time I use mascara, no matter what the brand. I just don't risk it anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by simplelife

I have very thin lashes that have gotten even thinner with age. But I cannot wear fake lashes or even mascara.I get conjunctivitis EVERY time I use mascara, no matter what the brand. I just don't risk it anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you tried having them tinted? Might be a good workaround for you. :)

The fake lashes are very "on-trend" right now even for everyday wear. There are also more folks going for lash extensions. Most do look like falsies but some are more "natural" as for deciding to wear on a cruise or vacation. Not necessary really, if you like them sure go ahead but you won't stand out without them so no worries. Honestly, most people tend to tone down the makeup on vacation so just wear what is comfortable for you and makes you feel beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

You definitely will not look like a plain Jane! I think fake eyelashes can look beyond ridiculous. Some ladies can go overboard on the length. Eyelash extensions can look very pretty and natural if applied by the right professional. But fake eyelashes are the latest trend.

Another trend that annoys me is contouring. Don't get me a wrong - a subtle contour can be very pretty. But as with anything, some go crazy with the wrong colors, harsh lines, and drastic contour. Both eyelashes and strong contouring can easily make a woman like she is a drag queen. :rolleyes::cool:

You definitely will not look like a plain Jane! I think fake eyelashes can look beyond ridiculous. Some ladies can go overboard on the length. Eyelash extensions can look very pretty and natural if applied by the right professional. But fake eyelashes are the latest trend.

Another trend that annoys me is contouring. Don't get me a wrong - a subtle contour can be very pretty. But as with anything, some go crazy with the wrong colors, harsh lines, and drastic contour. Both eyelashes and strong contouring can easily make a woman like she is a drag queen. :rolleyes::cool:

Agree, and add to the eyelash and contouring trend, the full eyebrow trend as well.

Edited by brunello22