The Global Entry CARD myth

Tennessee Titan

When you sign up (and are approved) for Global Entry, all of the appropriate information is encoded in your PASSPORT file. In order to use Global Entry, your passport MUST be scanned. The card does nothing for you except serve as a means of preliminary ID. The card is only officially used/recognized when entering the US from Canada or Mexico. It is NOT recognized by other foreign countries.

We do not even carry our cards when going overseas....

I just entered the country from Korea by way of SeaTac airport. The regular line was 100's of people. I showed my card and was able to bypass the line and went to the special global entry terminals that had no line. If I did not have the card, I would not have been able to go to the global entry terminals. I then filled out an only Q&A, scanned my passport and walked to get my luggage. From de-plane to gate for next flight was 35 minutes including passport, re-check luggage, re-security, and train from S to A gates. The line by itself looked far more than 30 minutes.

I put the card in my passport case (with foreign money) and it is there all the time. No sweat.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It should expedite your return TO the USA from most foreign countries. That, along with reciprocity in the trusted traveler program (TSA Pre-check) which gives you expedited clearance for airline queues, is about the extent of the benefits.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/benefits

When you sign up (and are approved) for Global Entry, all of the appropriate information is encoded in your PASSPORT file. In order to use Global Entry, your passport MUST be scanned. The card does nothing for you except serve as a means of preliminary ID. The card is only officially used/recognized when entering the US from Canada or Mexico. It is NOT recognized by other foreign countries.

Port Everglades now has a GE line when returning from cruises to pass thru Customs and avoid the longer lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mllewis48

The GOES card was never intended to be a substitute for a passport.

However, the Passport ID card that one can order for an extra fee along with their regular passport renewal does work at the ports of entry indicated .I just used mine when re-entering the US from Canada on the Veendam cruise.

And we recently learned if you get the dreaded SSS4 (or something like that) printed on your boarding pass you will be subject to extra security (delays and attitude) for the entire duration of your outgoing flight.

Whether you are GOES/PreCheck or not. As someone else recommended, if you see that on your boarding pass, cancel your flight and rebook. :eek:

Edited by OlsSalt

The GOES card was never intended to be a substitute for a passport.

However, the Passport ID card that one can order for an extra fee along with their regular passport renewal does work at the ports of entry indicated .I just used mine when re-entering the US from Canada on the Veendam cruise.

And we recently learned if you get the dreaded SSS4 (or something like that) printed on your boarding pass you will be subject to extra security (delays and attitude) for the entire duration of your outgoing flight.

Whether you are GOES/PreCheck or not. As someone else recommended, if you see that on your boarding pass, cancel your flight and rebook. :eek:

I have never heard of SSS4. I googled it and came up with a shoe company. Could you tell us why that might be printed on your boarding pass?

W

It is actually SSSS which stands for secondary security screening selection.

In which country was it of no use for you? that is the sort of informaation thatis helpful. Without kmowing that, what are you 'teaching us? :)

I am afraid the OPs post is a myth :(. The Global Entry card is just a basic ID card and useless for entering the USA from Canada, Mexico, or anywhere else. Global Entry membership is tied to your Passport through the Immigration systems own computer system. We have been in Global Entry for several years (used it many times) and the only time anyone ever asked to see our card was at Port Everglades (the only cruise port that has Global Entry lines) ....and this was just a rent-a-cop who wanted proof that we had Global Entry before letting us in the shorter Global Entry line. And even at Port Everglades they do not use the Global Entry system other then as a way to get you into a shorter line. Your Passport is still eyeballed by a CBP agent who does not even scan it into their system (they get an advance passenger manifest from the cruise line which they can run against their system prior to a ship's arrival).

When you use Global Entry at airports you simply scan your Passport (at a kisok) and also have your fingerprints scanned. The card is not even used. Coming in from Canada you still need a Passport or Passport Card....and if you are in Nexus (different from Global Entry) it saves you some hassle.

Hank

They even say the card is not for travel, although it should be able to be used domestically for airline security like a driver's license. I'm unclear why the OP thinks he has been scammed by the program.

I did show the card in Canada to gain entrance into the shorter line for GOES participants, but other than that, it hasn't been needed.

While having the GE card in your possession when you travel abroad is NOT a requirement, it does have some features that are enough for me to always have it in my wallet:

1) It is a valid form of ID. It is better than a DL because it contains NO visible PII that some unscrupulous TSA agent or other person could take and use (vacation theft - they have your address).

2) IF the GE kiosks are down, you can many times hit the crew exit line instead of having to hunker down with the regular masses for passport control.

The big thing about GE is that Trusted Traveler number. In the beginning of the GE program, there wasn't a card; you got a little sticker to put on your passport. No where does it advertise that the GE card will get you entry another country. If you are entering the US from Canada/Mexico via car, it does help by letting you go into a different lane.

From the CBP website:

"Using Your Global Entry Card

We accept Global Entry cards for lawful U.S. entry at land and sea ports of entry.

Global Entry cards have radio frequency identification chips, which enable their use at Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) and NEXUS travel lanes when entering the United States at the land borders. You must follow all program rules for SENTRI when using this card at the Southern land border ports of entry.

You may use this card for expedited entry into the United States via the SENTRI and NEXUS lanes. The card is not valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes.

Only your passport or lawful permanent resident card are accepted at Global Entry kiosks. The Global Entry card cannot be used at Global Entry kiosks. NEXUS cards are accepted at Global Entry kiosks located on Canadian Preclearance Airports."

Since NEXUS and SENRI were mentioned (these are special programs for Canada and Mexico ) we thought it might be good to post some info. While a Global Entry card might sometimes get you into a faster lane (this has nothing to do with cruising) it is not always the case. Here is some info right from the feds which you might notice is a bit different from other info (also from CBP) on the subject:

Using Global Entry card in the SENTRI or NEXUS lanes

Is there anything I must do prior to using my Global Entry card in the SENTRI lane?

Global Entry members, who wish to drive their vehicle in the SENTRI lanes, must register their vehicle with CBP. For more information on SENTRI and the location of SENTRI enrollment centers, please go to here.

If you register your vehicle in SENTRI as part of your initial Global Entry application, there is no fee. If you wish to register your vehicle after your initial application, you must pay a $42 registration fee.

There are no vehicle registration requirements for a member to use the NEXUS lanes coming into the U.S. from Canada ; however, Global Entry cards will not be valid for entry into Canada via the NEXUS lanes and kiosks.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

When we drive into the USA (from Canada) they still ask for our Passports (as of October).

Hank

As POA1 said above, Global Entry is a program by U.S. Customs. It is designed to make reentry into the US by US Citizens easier. US Customs has no authority in other countries. However it is of some value in Canada and Mexico because of certain agreements the US has with those countries.

We've not done any land border crossings since we enrolled in Global Entry but always carry our cards. Twice now we've had to show our cards to airport employees, not CBP officers/agents, who were working as what I call "line sorters" as we entered Immigration and Customs. Now I was wondering how that might work for GE participants who signed up before they issued GE cards but didn't ask. Maybe they could have talked their way into the GE line maybe not. We just flashed our cards and the sorter pointed us into the correct line. Yes, technically you don't need the card because GE itself is connected to your passport but for us it's no big deal to carry it.

Edited by Randyk47

I have never heard of SSS4. I googled it and came up with a shoe company. Could you tell us why that might be printed on your boarding pass?

I was told it was just random and under the control of the airlines. I first saw it on a boarding pass on our SAS flight from Copenhagen to LAX, and the extra screening was handled professionally and courteously.

Then on the second leg of that flight at SFO to LAX, it was a nightmare - rude, long delay, left to stand at the desk while dozens of other passengers were moved on ahead of me, total attitude from the agents, and I worried I would miss my connecting flight while DH had to stand by helplessly at the other side not knowing what was going on, as any contact during that "detention period" with anyone was forbidden.

And being told, so sorry that the female inspection agent was now on a break, and I would simply have to wait for another agent to show up. You get the full body pat down, multiple other scans, a dump out and inspection of everything in your carryon and wipe downs of your hands for explosives etc.

Okay, I have no problem with secondary, and random, inspections. But the difference between the Danish and US version of this more intense inspection procedure was stunning.

Edited by OlsSalt

We've not done any land border crossings since we enrolled in Global Entry but always carry our cards. Twice now we've had to show our cards to airport employees, not CBP officers/agents, who were working as what I call "line sorters" as we entered Immigration and Customs. Now I was wondering how that might work for GE participants who signed up before they issued GE cards but didn't ask. Maybe they could have talked their way into the GE line maybe not. We just flashed our cards and the sorter pointed us into the correct line. Yes, technically you don't need the card because GE itself is connected to your passport but for us it's no big deal to carry it.

Before cards, there were the stickers to put on your passport. But, those are not issued anymore, you get the card instead.

If you don't have your card with you, I would just say I have GE and ignore the sorter - there would be no reason to not go there if I knew how to operate the kiosk...

Here is an unexpected problem we are now having with the GOES card and the very wonderful kiosks.

As one gets older they allegedly lose fat in their fingertips making fingerprint scans harder to register - according to a state fingerprint expert who had to take my fingerprints for a professional license recently.

And this same issue is now happening to me as I keep getting "bad quality" messages from the GOES scanner, while my time to complete the GOES task is quickly running out. I now have to have 3-4 tries to get a minimum number of "good" fingerprints.

Eating more and gaining extra pounds while on board has not helped this situation of fat-free finger tips, alas. Or else I need to go to finger-printing school and learn how to do this right the first time.

It's "SSSS" not "SSS4" and it's printed on your boarding pass. It's connected with TSA not CBP and subjects you to additional screening at the security checkpoint. It's random for the most part but there is some suspicion and good indications that passengers on a "watchlist" will get it regularly. Having PreCheck, Global Entry, NEXUS, et al will not stop you from getting randomly selected and once it's on your boarding pass you're pretty much stuck with the full screening at the security checkpoint.

Here is an unexpected problem we are now having with the GOES card and the very wonderful kiosks.

As one gets older they allegedly lose fat in their fingertips making fingerprint scans harder to register - according to a state fingerprint expert who had to take my fingerprints for a professional license recently.

And this same issue is now happening to me as I keep getting "bad quality" messages from the GOES scanner, while my time to complete the GOES task is quickly running out. I now have to have 3-4 tries to get a minimum number of "good" fingerprints.

Eating more and gaining extra pounds while on board has not helped this situation of fat-free finger tips, alas. Or else I need to go to finger-printing school and learn how to do this right the first time.

Be sure to moisturize your fingers every day if you have this problem. The moisturizer will "plump up" the skin, making the finger ridges more defined. Using all that sanitizer dries out the finger ridges, so you have to counterbalance that activity. I have a scanner at work - until I started doing the moisturizer before I clock in/out, I had issues getting the print to register.

We are nexus but I was the lucky SSSS! There was another grandmother aged lady and myself. I think it was because we were on a Disney painted plane direct to Orlando but travelling without grandchildren!

US customs said it wasn't them but security screening!

I have never heard of the MYTH.

We have GE cards, all linked to our passports. We know we do not need to have the cards to enter the US thru the GE kiosk line.

Apparently we MYTHed out on something.

Edited by thinfool

I have never heard of the MYTH.

We have GE cards, all linked to our passports. We know we do not need to have the cards to enter the US thru the GE kiosk line.

Apparently we MYTHed out on something.

I was thinking it is more of a sometimes misunderstanding of the uses of and need for the GE card than a myth. The agent that interviewed my wife and I was pretty clear about the GE card with his instructions/information about what it was and wasn't. The one misunderstanding I think I've seen the most is a GE card, or for that matter any other Trusted Traveler program card, by itself is going to get you in the PreCheck line at an airport security point. PreCheck is a benefit of GE but you have to have your PassID entered in your passenger profile and your boarding pass must have PreCheck printed on it. Barring random selection no card is going to work.

I was thinking it is more of a sometimes misunderstanding of the uses of and need for the GE card than a myth. The agent that interviewed my wife and I was pretty clear about the GE card with his instructions/information about what it was and wasn't. The one misunderstanding I think I've seen the most is a GE card, or for that matter any other Trusted Traveler program card, by itself is going to get you in the PreCheck line at an airport security point. PreCheck is a benefit of GE but you have to have your PassID entered in your passenger profile and your boarding pass must have PreCheck printed on it. Barring random selection no card is going to work.

Agree. I think much of the OP's first post is a serious misunderstanding of how the system works, not some generally propagated falsehood or myth.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Agree. I think much of the OP's first post is a serious misunderstanding of how the system works, not some generally propagated falsehood or myth.

Exactly what did I misunderstand (seriously)? All my post did was to clarify what the card is (and isn't)......

Edited by Tennessee Titan