Embassy Suites, Really!

luvscruising2007

I have been researching hotels for our next cruise, April 2016. I love Embassy Suites hotels, but the pricing in Fort Lauderdale is out of sight. We'll be driving from Maryland and staying in hotels along the way, making an extra stop in St.Augustine. So, our hotel in Fort Lauderdale needs to be reasonable. How can you justify their high costs? Not really criticizing but curious. We are planning to stay away from the port and make a reasonable drive on cruise day. Just waiting now until our date is released.

I have been researching hotels for our next cruise, April 2016. I love Embassy Suites hotels, but the pricing in Fort Lauderdale is out of sight. We'll be driving from Maryland and staying in hotels along the way, making an extra stop in St.Augustine. So, our hotel in Fort Lauderdale needs to be reasonable. How can you justify their high costs? Not really criticizing but curious. We are planning to stay away from the port and make a reasonable drive on cruise day. Just waiting now until our date is released.

April is peak season and around Easter so a lot of people on Spring Break.

Ignoring the oddity of starting a thread to question the price of a hotel that doesn't fit into your plans even if it did fit in your budget, you may have noted in your search that while the Embassy Suites on 17th St has availability, several other Hilton-family properties in the area are already sold out for April 7, 2016 barely a week after that day was released for reservation. This past year had the highest occupancy rates for South Florida hotels we have seen in many years and it looks like the seller's market will continue to next year even with your date being two weeks after an early Easter. So you may want to make your reservation for a highway-side motel somewhere near Vero Beach or Ft. Pierce now before demand prices even those locations out of your range. Really.

Ignoring the oddity of starting a thread to question the price of a hotel that doesn't fit into your plans even if it did fit in your budget, you may have noted in your search that while the Embassy Suites on 17th St has availability, several other Hilton-family properties in the area are already sold out for April 7, 2016 barely a week after that day was released for reservation. This past year had the highest occupancy rates for South Florida hotels we have seen in many years and it looks like the seller's market will continue to next year even with your date being two weeks after an early Easter. So you may want to make your reservation for a highway-side motel somewhere near Vero Beach or Ft. Pierce now before demand prices even those locations out of your range. Really.

I would be happy to stay at ES, buy the price is so out of line compared to other properties I have researched. The Hampton Inn near the port is about $250. ES is showing $319, plus the tax levied and we would pay a night's parking. I could see if they were running $50 or so different but I just don't see the early evening reception to be worth that difference.

Starting the thread, I was hoping someone might explain why they are willing to pay over $300 a night for this hotel. jmo

Starting the thread, I was hoping someone might explain why they are willing to pay over $300 a night for this hotel. jmo

Budgets and needs vary greatly. Questioning why 'they are willing to pay' is impertinent and certainly no one has to justify their decision on an internet chat board.

You are getting good advice from the locals to reserve something now with a price you find acceptable. This past February and March there were weekly pleas on this board for help finding lodging under $250.

Well, first off, location location location. Funny to compare an Embassy Suites to a Hampton Inn, but if you must, open up Google Earth and have a look at where each is. There really aren't a lot of hotels that offer what the ES does, from being a full service suite hotel to the multitude of local amenities within a mere football field distance. Many hotels, people rent cars so they can get around. Take the shuttle the ES and you are set. Compare the ES rates to the other hotels on that stretch of road, you will find they aren't cheap either.

And just because Easter is in March next year doesn't mean school breaks still aren't happening when you are looking. I'm not actually a "fan" of spending 300 or more for a hotel either, but it is what it is. As Bruce points out above, supply and demand. They get it because they can.

I do not understand what difference it makes to you if you do not plan to stay there anyway:eek:

People could probably ask why you live where you do when there are places that are cheaper :rolleyes:

They charge what the market will bear. If nobody was paying that rate, they would drop it.

Part of what is going on is Princess (and perhaps other cruise lines) are putting their pax there, thus reducing the available supply of rooms. So there are fewer rooms to meet the demand from those of us who don't book thru the cruise line. Princess gets to advertise a "suite" and free drinks and breakfast, and the rest of us pay higher rates.

I was having a bit of sticker shock myself in shopping for a hotel for Jan. 2016. After reading many reviews, I decided on a nice boutique hotel in Victoria Park, about $160 per night. Free parking, breakfast for a fee and conveniently located. As I've gotten older my tastes have changed and it's more about bang for my buck. I wouldn't mind spending the rate at Embassy Suites, but their reviews are terrible.

I was having a bit of sticker shock myself in shopping for a hotel for Jan. 2016. After reading many reviews, I decided on a nice boutique hotel in Victoria Park, about $160 per night. Free parking, breakfast for a fee and conveniently located. As I've gotten older my tastes have changed and it's more about bang for my buck. I wouldn't mind spending the rate at Embassy Suites, but their reviews are terrible.

Thank you for understanding.

We are two couples and we share a room, since it's a suite. It's only for one night, thankfully :-) and we like the convenience of being able to walk to amenities. The breakfast helps to justify the cost, too.

We wanted to stay away from the port this past January also and chose Holiday Inn Express Executive Airport up on Commercial Blvd.

This property was very wallet friendly compared to hotels near the port and is an easy drive to anywhere as it's a hop, skip and a jump from I-95 and also close to A1A, where you can find restaurants, stores, movie theatres, etc. It is across the street from the Executive Airport (duh) and almost part of a business park, which is acually very quiet.

Hotel is extremely well managed and you won't find nicer, more friendly front desk staff (thanks, George!). Wherever you choose to stay, enjoy your cruise!:)

Ellen

South Florida hotel occupancy was the highest that it has been in years and is on pace to be even higher next year.

Expect to pay a lot more next year than you did this year.

To some people $300 for a hotel room isn't a lot.

My girlfriends and I split a room at The W hotel the 28th of March and it was $700 for a STANDARD room. It included nothing, not parking, wifi, breakfast, or a cocktail.

The hotel was sold out.

Really.

Edited by BlueHerons

... How can you justify their high costs? ...
The question is vague. Do you mean:

1. How do you justify what the hotel is charging?
  2. How do you justify paying what the hotel is charging?

Naturally, you will get answers to both questions. As others replied to #1, market conditions. The answer to #2 depends on how different people value different things. As mentioned, some things include closeness to port, shops, the managers reception, free breakfast,want a Hilton family property, etc. We each need to justify the expense to ourselves or stay elsewhere.

The question is vague. Do you mean:
  1. How do you justify what the hotel is charging?
  2. How do you justify paying what the hotel is charging?

Naturally, you will get answers to both questions. As others replied to #1, market conditions. The answer to #2 depends on how different people value different things. As mentioned, some things include closeness to port, shops, the managers reception, free breakfast,want a Hilton family property, etc. We each need to justify the expense to ourselves or stay elsewhere.

Excellent post. Cut and paste this please, into every thread on Cruise Critic when some asks "is it worth it to do X or Y". Your thread count will set new records in an instant!!

Edited by CruiserBruce

I went ahead and booked the Embassy for next February. Price is 279 for 3 people. I chose this for the "suite", free breakfast, two queen beds, no smoking rooms, able to walk to restaurants and shopping, and close proximity to the port.

It is refundable if I find a different hotel for a better deal. Some of the room catagories are already sold out. (2 queens)

I have stayed twice at the ES in Fort Lauderdale. I wouldn't pay $200 or even $100 to stay at that hotel. I'm a silver Hilton Honors member and it isn't up to Hilton standards. There are many other nice hotels in the area. Try Gallery One Suite, I don't think they will be as expensive as ES and the hotel is very nice.

Be sure to do your homework and read at least 15-20 reviews on Trip Advisor for whichever hotel you are interested in.

Wishing you the best,

:)

I have stayed twice at the ES in Fort Lauderdale. I wouldn't pay $200 or even $100 to stay at that hotel. I'm a silver Hilton Honors member and it isn't up to Hilton standards. There are many other nice hotels in the area. Try Gallery One Suite, I don't think they will be as expensive as ES and the hotel is very nice.

Be sure to do your homework and read at least 15-20 reviews on Trip Advisor for whichever hotel you are interested in.

Wishing you the best,

:)

Wow! I am a Diamond, and have been for many years. It is an Embassy Suites, average quality, not a Hilton.

Try booking the ES through the Hilton MVP site. You will get a much better rate. The ES is a very popular hotel especially for people staying pre or post cruise.

Paul