Quantum Class Dress Code changes

When booking the Chef's Table a few months ago, it was evident the Quantum Dress Codes had been adapted as part of the Dynamic Dining concept.

Here are the Dress Codes and Policies as stated in the Cruise Planner for each venue:

Formal Dress Code

(The Grande, Chef’s Table)

•Cocktail dresses, gowns or dressy pantsuits are appropriate for women.

•A jacket is required for men, along with pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater.

Smart Casual Dress Code

(American Icon, Chic, and Silk complimentary dining rooms)

(Coastal Kitchen, suite complimentary dining)

(Divinly Decadence complimentary breakfast and specialty lunch)

(Chops Grill, Divinly Decadence, Izumi, Jamie’s Italian and Wonderland, specialty dining)

•Skirts or pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sweater or blouse are appropriate for women.

•Pants (with no holes, rips or tears) and a sports shirt (must have sleeves) or sweater are appropriate for men.

Casual Dress Code

(Café Promenade(24 hour), Café@270, Seaplex Dog House, Sorrento’s Pizza, The Windjammer Marketplace(24 hour)) complimentary casual dining

(Johnny Rockets and Michael’s Pub specialty casual dining)

No new information provided on Casual Dress Code, except as a policy statement.

Dress Policy (standards)

•Swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurants or specialty restaurants at any time.

•T-shirts, shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours but are acceptable for lunch.

This is in contrast to the Dress Code information that is still included for other ships on the RCI websites.

From Current Royal Caribbean FAQ on dress codes.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

From UK website on ‘what to wear’

You’ll also need a selection of casual, smart casual and formal clothes for evening meals in the main dining room or specialty restaurants. Casual dining clothes for men may include polo shirts and trousers, for example, and for women sundresses, trousers and casual skirts and blouses are all fine.

A smart casual wardrobe for men would include a blazers/jacket and ties or just an open neck shirt and dresses or trouser suits for women. Formal attire comprises suit, shirt and tie or dinner jacket/tuxedo for men and cocktail dresses for women. Tuxedo rentals are available for formal dinners and special occasions.

Formal nights are not mandatory so if you prefer a casual evening there are several other restaurants and eateries you can dine at where the formal dress code is not in place. Formal evenings are designed for fun and to give everyone the chance to dress up, if they wish to.

Whether you choose to wear a tuxedo or ball gown, or opt for something less formal like a suit, shirt and tie for men and a dress for women, its all acceptable… after all its your holiday!

Good. If you want to eat in a fancy restaurant, you should look the part.

It seems a good compromise, by requiring a 'jacket' in the only 2 formal venues, while relaxing what is meant by smart casual in the other venues.

• 3 weeks later...

We are booked on the Quantum next March. If I understand correctly then "Formal" in The Grande is not really formal but kind of smart casual. We are old timers and enjoy dressing up so we booked The Grande assuming it would be "Formal"; Tux or Suit. Were not able to get a definitive answer from RCCL customer support except that the dress was formal.

Guess the days of Classic cruising are coming to an end.

We are booked on the Quantum next March. If I understand correctly then "Formal" in The Grande is not really formal but kind of smart casual. We are old timers and enjoy dressing up so we booked The Grande assuming it would be "Formal"; Tux or Suit. Were not able to get a definitive answer from RCCL customer support except that the dress was formal.

True formal eliminates too many passengers from partaking in the "formal" venues. In the mass markets, the cruise lines are forced to compromise or risk alienating too many customers.

Personally I like having an excuse to dress nice for formal dinner. It's more like a date night then. That's fine for me. I have never cared what the other patrons were wearing though. I have never understood how my enjoyment of a meal can be tied to what somebody else is wearing.

Personally I like having an excuse to dress nice for formal dinner. It's more like a date night then. That's fine for me. I have never cared what the other patrons were wearing though. I have never understood how my enjoyment of a meal can be tied to what somebody else is wearing.

Very well said.

we booked The Grande twice and will enjoy dressing up. My 11 YO boy will be the only hold out but he knows that's part of cruising.

My husband always wears a jacket for formal but my son only does the dress pants and shirt with tie. Do you think this will be acceptable? I hate the thought of having to buy a jacket for a growing teenage boy.

I think it might depend on where you wish to dine. In most venue's not an issue, but it could be in the Grande. OTOH, if it were me, I think I would skip the Grande with a teenage boy. I don't think our son ever cared for playing dress up.

My husband always wears a jacket for formal but my son only does the dress pants and shirt with tie. Do you think this will be acceptable? I hate the thought of having to buy a jacket for a growing teenage boy.

You might check goodwill. Sometimes you can get a nice sport coat or suit jacket for $15.-$25.

• 1 month later...

After a request for clarification, had a response from RCCL Executive Offices who stated unequivocally that dress in The Grande is truly Formal, Suits or Black Tie for Gentlemen. The "What to Wear" on the website is to be corrected. We will see!!

If you think they are turning away paying customers because they are only wearing khakis and nice shirt instead of a suit/tie or tux, I say you are wrong. I know there is a certain percentage of cruisers who want things this way, but those days are not coming to a close, they are already closed. I agree jeans, especially ripped jeans, baseball hats are not appropriate but khakis and nice shirt is in my book. If you want to wear a tux every night I say God bless.

Edited by JAMESCC

If you think they are turning away paying customers because they are only wearing khakis and nice shirt instead of a suit/tie or tux, I say you are wrong. I know there is a certain percentage of cruisers who want things this way, but those days are not coming to a close, they are already closed. I agree jeans, especially ripped jeans, baseball hats are not appropriate but khakis and nice shirt is in my book. If you want to wear a tux every night I say God bless.

On the ships now there is only 1 free sit down dining experience so I am not surprised that they have not been enforcing the dress code on formal nights.

On the ships with DD there will be at least 3 other options and 4 if you are in a suite where you can dine if you o not want to dress formally. I think that RCI has made it pretty clear that a jacket will be required and possibly more if the post mandtpa is correct.

I would be extremely surprised to see the dress code relaxed in this one venue.

It is entirely up to the person running the dining room. On the Grandeur we saw people on formal night wearing tuxedo t-shirts and shorts with cheesy hats on. Clearly not just choosing to ignore the rules but flaunt breaking them yet they were allowed in.

On the Independence of the Seas I saw many people turned away. The one that I that I especially enjoyed though was a very well dressed couple waiting outside of the MDR on formal night. A few minutes later a pair of boys, probably 14 and 16 arrived that were dressed in jeans and polos. Nothing that IMO looked bad, but certainly not anywhere near the standard that is set for formal night. When they tried to enter the MDR the boys were stopped and told that they must go change. The parents gave them a look and sent them off to the Windjammer. They could have all left, but it seemed rather obvious that the parents had told them to be back to get dressed by a certain time and they didn't. The parents were dressed though so they enjoyed their dinner as they should.

As Ourusualbeach said, on most ships formal night is forced on you, on Quantum you have to go out of your way to "be forced" to dress formal. If they have enforced the rule in the past (depending on the ship) I see no reason they can't enforce it again.

Edited by DEIx15x8

It seems like part of this whole Dynamic Dining is to give us choices where to dine,..... complimentary or additional fee,.... dress code - from formal to T-shirt,.... dine at set times or eat whenever ! Personally, my wife and I are more traditional, we like a set time, we like formal dress on a couple nights. Hopefully RCI will enforce the dress code for each venue. If I feel like casual eating, I will go to a venue that has that dress requirement and the same for a formal dining experience. But I won't hold my breath expecting it to happen!

Yeah I guess Quantum will be different.I for one LOVE this new thing they are doing. As was said, it gives you all the choice. Type of food, dining times and dress code. Love it, I'm not a tux guy but I will put on khakis and nice shirt no matter what venue we eat at except the windjammer or something like Johnny Rockets.

After a request for clarification, had a response from RCCL Executive Offices who stated unequivocally that dress in The Grande is truly Formal, Suits or Black Tie for Gentlemen. The "What to Wear" on the website is to be corrected. We will see!!

I have booked three legs of the China repo on Quantum next year. I did so after checking DD and it's dress codes. I will comply as I always have with the suggested dress codes. I have already booked around 12 nights in the Grande because the menu appeals to us. I will be packing a sports coat and a tie along with my regular clothes. If they change the rules after I have booked and I am not allowed in because I do not have a suit of tux I will be very disappointed.

I don't expect this will be the case though. There have been too many people who have booked with the existing codes written on the website. Most will be travelling extensively so they will be trying to pack as lightly as possible.

I have booked three legs of the China repo on Quantum next year. I did so after checking DD and it's dress codes. I will comply as I always have with the suggested dress codes. I have already booked around 12 nights in the Grande because the menu appeals to us. I will be packing a sports coat and a tie along with my regular clothes. If they change the rules after I have booked and I am not allowed in because I do not have a suit of tux I will be very disappointed.

I don't expect this will be the case though. There have been too many people who have booked with the existing codes written on the website. Most will be travelling extensively so they will be trying to pack as lightly as possible.

We are also on the first leg of this sailing May 2nd. We are continuing on from Barcelona to France, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Korea. The trip will be over 30 days with a lot of flights and ground transfers. The 11 night cruise will be the easy part. Obviously we want to travel light and will have to dress for hot climates. My husband often wears a Tux but may not even take a sports coat this time. We will totally miss out on the Grande because of this. Too bad a few guys could not organize a coat swap for one night in the Grande LOL. I am sure that many people on the Trans Atlantic will be traveling light if they have a land portion, a lot of luggage is just too big a challenge.