Boarding etiquette question

elycelynne

If the gate agent has called the next boarding group and that group is in the middle of the boarding process, does someone who was in the previous boarding group but didn't get there in time to board with that group get to cut in front of everyone else in the group that's now boarding, or are they supposed to go to the back of the line of the current group?

This happened recently on a United flight to New York. Group #2 (which I was in) was in the process of boarding, and a woman out of the line and making her way up to the front of the gate. Not being able to keep my mouth shut I mentioned that there's a line for boarding and she replied "I'm in Group 1, thank you".

So what's the proper etiquette?

Thanks -- That totally answers my question! :)

You're welcome. Group one is made up of UA's most elite flyers, and usually, if they are boarding after their group, they'll go around the current boarding group, and board on the carpet on the elite boarding side; not cut directly in front of other passengers. The GAs often will have to open the gate thing to let them through.

My vote (even if I were the latecomer)....you snooze, you lose, wait in line.

Reminds me when I was boarding an Alaska Airlines flight in SEA. I was 4th or 5th in line to get my boarding pass scanned when an older woman barged in front of a guy about to hand his BP to the gate agent. The GA gave her a puzzled look and she said "I'm ready to board- here's my boarding pass!" The GA politely pointed out the back of the line. She replied, "Well, you obviously didn't see I'm in first class". The GA said there were at least 3 boarding announcements for first class, that was 5 minutes ago, and to wait in line. The woman stood there in a narcissistic rage. After 15 seconds the GA took her BP and said, "Ma'am, you have two choices. If you wish to fly with us today, I will return your boarding pass and you can wait in line behind all the other customers. Your other choice is I will void this boarding pass, you can take it to the Customer Service desk, and they will book you on a flight tomorrow".

The woman grabbed her BP back and stormed to the back of the line while we applauded the GA. I sent a compliment letter to Alaska :)

US/AA have a separate lane for what amounts to Zone 1 and those passengers can board at any time. They simply need to step up to the front of their lane and the gate agent will stop boarding the rest to scan them through.

In kenish's example it's possible she was on a delayed connecting flight and the reason she wasn't at the gate to board with FC boarding was due to a problem under the control of the carrier. It's happened to me many times, and I'm thankful for the separate lane for exactly that situation.

Different airlines have different policies. Delta has two lines, Sky Priority and general boarding. After the "needing extra time to board" group, first/business class and diamond medallions (with PREM on their boarding pass) are called to board through the sky priority lane. Then others with SKY on the boarding pass. Subsequently, other zones board through the general boarding lane.

If a first class passenger or medallion arrives at the gate after general boarding begins, they are entitled by policy to step to the front of the sky priority lane. This is not rude or "cutting", it is boarding according to the published policy of the airline.

ducklight- Didn't recount every detail of the incident and don't recall them anyway. In this case her rude and condescending attitude to the GA and passengers set things off, and it was clear she had been in the gate area a long time and it wasn't a late inbound connection or a flat tire. :)

Of course there are situations where "head of the line" is fine...but attitude is everything....

I was boarding a DL fight in FLL a few years ago. It was obviously heavy with elites, because when they called for Sky Priority pax about 40 or 50 people ended up in line. A woman came barging through, elbowing everyone to get past them, saying "I'm Sky Priority." I just looked at her and said "we all are." At which point she got a big grin on her face and excitedly said, "Then you can board now too!" Um, yes, that's what I'm trying to do. Here. In a LINE. Full of OTHER Sky Priority passengers who are all waiting their turn. Obviously she didn't get it. :rolleyes:

US/AA have a separate lane for what amounts to Zone 1 and those passengers can board at any time. They simply need to step up to the front of their lane and the gate agent will stop boarding the rest to scan them through.

What I find annoying sometimes is when the main boarding line then migrate to using the priority lane after the F/J/elite groups have been called. I, having enjoyed drinks in the lounge as opposed to waiting at the gate area, then have to stand in the enormous line because, being British, I'm too sheepish to just barge to the front.

It's happened on several occasions and is rather annoying. When it looks particularly long I do sometimes ask the person in front "is this the priority/first class line" or something along those lines, hoping they'll so no giving me some reason to go to the front.

In practice most of the time the red carpet/Sky Priority/Priority Access lanes work very well though.

And, in a very opposite way, the custom in many parts of the world is for first class to board last. That way, they spend the most time in the lounge and don't have to sit around and wait for the flight to depart.

Noticed this on an AF flight some years back. I was in the lounge asking about boarding time and they said "have a seat...we'll have the first class people board in 20 minutes. After everyone else." Big culture shock.

But, since more and more bin space is being hogged (including coach pax who think that the empty bin over row 2 looks good for them, even though they are in row 32), I now don't wait and just board to make sure my "stuff" isn't gate checked.

I will say that some Asian/Australian carriers make sure that there is bin space for their premium pax by keeping a vigilant eye. But, as Greatam has mentioned, sometimes the DF bags become overwhelming.

And, in a very opposite way, the custom in many parts of the world is for first class to board last. That way, they spend the most time in the lounge and don't have to sit around and wait for the flight to depart.

Does anyone know why airlines stopped boarding by row numbers, with the back of the plane going first (for coach, anyway)? The "groups" they use now seem to bear no relation to row numbers, and it just seems to slow things down when people in the lower-numbered rows go ahead of those in the higher-numbered rows.

Does anyone know why airlines stopped boarding by row numbers, with the back of the plane going first (for coach, anyway)? The "groups" they use now seem to bear no relation to row numbers, and it just seems to slow things down when people in the lower-numbered rows go ahead of those in the higher-numbered rows.

Various studies for the most efficient way to board show different results. So some airlines try to do window seats, then middles then aisles. Then you have various levels of elite status in the mix too.

My guess is "bin space"...and I appreciate the FA's taking note of this...getting harder & harder..and wish the GA's would moniter the excess and "large" carryons being hauled onto the plane.

Noticed this on an AF flight some years back. I was in the lounge asking about boarding time and they said "have a seat...we'll have the first class people board in 20 minutes. After everyone else." Big culture shock.

But, since more and more bin space is being hogged (including coach pax who think that the empty bin over row 2 looks good for them, even though they are in row 32), I now don't wait and just board to make sure my "stuff" isn't gate checked.

I will say that some Asian/Australian carriers make sure that there is bin space for their premium pax by keeping a vigilant eye. But, as Greatam has mentioned, sometimes the DF bags become overwhelming.

The airlines I worked for decided who to board first based on the layout of the aircraft and the position of the aviobridge. If the aviobridge was on the first door, business and first were told to board last, since all the other passengers would barge past their seats, bumping into them, etc. If the aviobridge was on the second door (generally larger planes such as MD11, Boeing 747, etc), first and business could go first, since they would turn left or head upstairs, and would not be inconvenienced by the great unwashed turning right.

For a couple of years I've seen US FA's proactively close the overhead bins in F just before general boarding begins. That way they have room for late arriving F passengers and select items for coach passengers seated in bulkhead rows. (I've seen a number of medical devices and camera bags go up there after the bins in the rest of the plane were full.)

My vote (even if I were the latecomer)....you snooze, you lose, wait in line.

Reminds me when I was boarding an Alaska Airlines flight in SEA. I was 4th or 5th in line to get my boarding pass scanned when an older woman barged in front of a guy about to hand his BP to the gate agent. The GA gave her a puzzled look and she said "I'm ready to board- here's my boarding pass!" The GA politely pointed out the back of the line. She replied, "Well, you obviously didn't see I'm in first class". The GA said there were at least 3 boarding announcements for first class, that was 5 minutes ago, and to wait in line. The woman stood there in a narcissistic rage. After 15 seconds the GA took her BP and said, "Ma'am, you have two choices. If you wish to fly with us today, I will return your boarding pass and you can wait in line behind all the other customers. Your other choice is I will void this boarding pass, you can take it to the Customer Service desk, and they will book you on a flight tomorrow".

The woman grabbed her BP back and stormed to the back of the line while we applauded the GA. I sent a compliment letter to Alaska :)

As already posted, on United, if you're in Group 1, you can go to the front of the line at any time. Don't you think the most elite frequent flyers deserve this?

As for the Alaska Airlines gate agent, she was in the wrong. She should have let that first class passenger board in front of the later boarding group even if she was pushy. The gate agent needs some retraining. I hope that passenger sent a complaint to Alaska Airlines.

As already posted, on United, if you're in Group 1, you can go to the front of the line at any time. Don't you think the most elite frequent flyers deserve this?

As for the Alaska Airlines gate agent, she was in the wrong. She should have let that first class passenger board in front of the later boarding group even if she was pushy. The gate agent needs some retraining. I hope that passenger sent a complaint to Alaska Airlines.

I disagree and in this case, Grandma does not know best. What happened to common courtesy? Is it going to kill someone to wait in line for an extra 10 minutes? (Of course, this comment does not apply to disabled passengers who find it hard to stand or walk.) Everyone will eventually get on the plane. I don't understand this entitlement attitude that some people have.

As to boarding back of the plane first, this is the way it was done when I flew last week. Seems to me it would be more efficient since you are not waiting for the passengers at the front of the plane to stow their baggage.

I disagree and in this case, Grandma does not know best. What happened to common courtesy? Is it going to kill someone to wait in line for an extra 10 minutes? (Of course, this comment does not apply to disabled passengers who find it hard to stand or walk.) Everyone will eventually get on the plane. I don't understand this entitlement attitude that some people have.

This is what happens when people don't understand an airline's policies.

In this case, grandma does know best. The AS agent was wrong and should have let the F passenger board when they arrived at the gate. This agent was out-of-line and rude. Unfortunately, there are some GA's that seem to make up rules as they go along, which is confusing for everyone.

I don't understand your post. No poster here makes airline boarding rules. OP asked a question and it was answered. I can't think of a single airline that will not allow a passenger traveling in first class to board when they like, and they will let them board through the elite line, or if regular economy has begun boarding, they will let them go to the front of this line.

I also am puzzled by this attitude. The F passenger would have been in front of you anyway, so what does it matter when they go to the front of the economy line? Using your line of reasoning, would it "kill" the economy passengers to let the passenger in F board when they arrive at the gate? What about those in line showing courtesy and allowing the F passenger to receive services this passenger paid for? "Entitlement attitude" can go both ways.

Edited by 6rugrats

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Throwing a tantrum just because you are a first class passenger is not exhibiting good manners. I have no problem letting some ahead of me in line as long as they ask politely. Elbowing and being demanding is not part of good manners in my book.

As to the airline boarding rules, they are what they are, and each passenger should endeavour to follow them. That being said, if I missed my boarding turn, my conscience would insist that I line up at the end and wait my turn. It doesn't matter that I paid more or less. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

As to the airline boarding rules, they are what they are, and each passenger should endeavour to follow them. That being said, if I missed my boarding turn, my conscience would insist that I line up at the end and wait my turn.
On many airlines, being in first class or business class or being a higher tier frequent flyer, means that there is no concept of your "turn". You can board without joining the economy queue, at any time from the start of boarding until the end. I don't know UA's rules, but it sounds like it might be along those lines. Like others here, I usually prefer to board close to last, but sometimes I get the timing wrong and boarding is still in full swing when I arrive at the gate.

Several airlines started selling priority boarding slots, while others reward their "gold" or "platinum" or whatever by priority assignment - in both cases, if works out to revenue -- and if surely does slow the boarding process so much that often everyone would be better off if they followed Jet Blue's model and board in sets of rows from the rear - making the whole process so much smoother,

On many airlines, being in first class or business class or being a higher tier frequent flyer, means that there is no concept of your "turn". You can board without joining the economy queue, at any time from the start of boarding until the end. I don't know UA's rules, but it sounds like it might be along those lines. Like others here, I usually prefer to board close to last, but sometimes I get the timing wrong and boarding is still in full swing when I arrive at the gate.

UA's rules are almost exactly what you state.

As to the airline boarding rules, they are what they are, and each passenger should endeavour to follow them. That being said, if I missed my boarding turn, my conscience would insist that I line up at the end and wait my turn. It doesn't matter that I paid more or less. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

Exactly. On many airlines it's a stated procedure that first class and/or elite level pax' "turn" is whenever they feel like boarding, via either the "special" line or going to the front of the line. I know that on DL, after they initially board the Premium and Sky Zone the GA's will often say something like "Zone 1 (or 2 or 3) passengers are now welcome to board through the regular boarding lane, and our first class and medallion passengers can continue to board through the Sky Priority lane." I agree that there is no reason to elbow anyone out of the way, but I think most places have a physically separate line (like DL's Sky Priority lane) that make that unnecessary.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Throwing a tantrum just because you are a first class passenger is not exhibiting good manners. I have no problem letting some ahead of me in line as long as they ask politely. Elbowing and being demanding is not part of good manners in my book.

It is reasonable for you to believe this if you think that Priority boarding means one has a special time to board and must board at that time to have priority. But it might not be reasonable if in fact Priority boarding means you can us the Priority line and this have Priority whenever you wish to board. The later is really what Priority boarding means on AA and many airlines.