"Dynamic dining is going fleetwide"

ryano

Thats what a CVP just told me when I called to book my Freedom cruise.

Of course we all know how sometimes they dont always have the correct information. I dont see how they can make it work on the older, smaller ships.

She said the next two ships to roll it out will be Oasis and Allure.

Most here may know that. Just relaying what I was told. Dont shoot the messenger :)

Edited by ryano

I have both booked, not a word yet. Did you get a time line for this?

IF it is going to be rolled out I would think that it would be something that would need to be done during Drydock. I guess we shall see shortly as Oasis is next up for

Personally I don't expect to see it happen until AFTER Quantum and Anthem have been sailing for a little while so that they can work out the bugs.

I can see them launching Oasis 3 and 4 with dynamic dining.

Of course we all know how sometimes they dont always have the correct information. I dont see how they can make it work on the older, smaller ships.

Most here may know that. Just relaying what I was told. Dont shoot the messenger :)

I can only say what I heard Adam Goldstein say on his webcast last spring where he indicated that the plans would be to thoroughly test it first on Quantum and Anthem - neither of which are launched yet - before any consideration would be given to roll it out on other ships.

And then it would likely be on new builds first (Oasis III. etc., perhaps) before other current ships would follow. And that it may never be fleet wide as the smaller ships don't have the layout or space for the additional venues included in the Dynamic Dining concept.

Rumors abound and only RCI knows for sure, but this is what he said in the webcast.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "dynamic dining?"

The attached PDF will explain it. It is a dining concept being launched on Quantum class ships. Early and late seating would be eliminated in favor of an expanded MTD concept. The single large dining room is being redesigned to be four smaller no charge themed restaurants with enhanced menus. There will be a total of 18 dining venues split 50/50 between no charge and fee based.

1396036808_v1Culinary-Press-Release-FINAL-32414 (1).pdf

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The goes against exactly what Adam Goldstein said in the original google hangout awhile back. He said that they want to prove it successful with Q and A first and then think of rolling it out fleet wide, and i heard starting with the newbuilds. It amazes me that there is so much conflicting info within RCI.

Ugh. I hate to hear that. The dynamic dining concept just does not appeal to me, which is one of the reasons I won't sail NCL, freestyle is kind of the same thing.

In truth, what I've set up for my Oasis cruise in November is far closer to Dynamic Dining than a traditional cruise ship dining experience. I have three nights in MTD -- all at different times, and four nights in specialty restaurants. I booked entertainment first, then fit dining in according to the shows I had reserved.

Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't! We thought it would be fun to try something different since there are so many options on the Oasis.

I don't think it would be as hard to convert existing ships as many of you imagine. Each level of the MDR could easily be themed, and in some cases could be subdivided to provide a new venue -- similar to the way they added BLU on the Celebrity M Class ships when they were Solsticized. RCI ships coming out of recent refurbishments have had specialty dining venues added. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine they're doing that with an eye to Dynamic Dining somewhere down the road.

In truth, what I've set up for my Oasis cruise in November is far closer to Dynamic Dining than a traditional cruise ship dining experience. I have three nights in MTD -- all at different times, and four nights in specialty restaurants. I booked entertainment first, then fit dining in according to the shows I had reserved.

Maybe I'll like it, maybe I won't! We thought it would be fun to try something different since there are so many options on the Oasis.

I don't think it would be as hard to convert existing ships as many of you imagine. Each level of the MDR could easily be themed, and in some cases could be subdivided to provide a new venue -- similar to the way they added BLU on the Celebrity M Class ships when they were Solsticized. RCI ships coming out of recent refurbishments have had specialty dining venues added. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine they're doing that with an eye to Dynamic Dining somewhere down the road.

I'm not saying it would be hard, but to me it kind of defeats the purpose to divide up the dining room into different sections. Eating beef wellington in a tux in The Grande while looking off the balcony at someone in shorts and a t-shirt eating fried chicken in the American Icon... I sure hope they would never think of closing the open balcony and actually dividing the MDR into 4 SEPARATE restaurants... That would be destroying such a beautiful feature of the ships.

Thanks for posting the link!

Not sure how I feel about that ... I have to play organizer when we go with DH's family and now I'll have to not only reserve shows, but dinners every night, as well. It's much easier to tell them "see you in the MDR at 8:30" than to give them an itinerary of where we're eating and when.

I'm not saying it would be hard, but to me it kind of defeats the purpose to divide up the dining room into different sections. Eating beef wellington in a tux in The Grande while looking off the balcony at someone in shorts and a t-shirt eating fried chicken in the American Icon... I sure hope they would never think of closing the open balcony and actually dividing the MDR into 4 SEPARATE restaurants... That would be destroying such a beautiful feature of the ships.

By no stretch of the imagination do I think that's what they WILL do, but it's certainly what they COULD do.

The attached PDF will explain it. It is a dining concept being launched on Quantum class ships. Early and late seating would be eliminated in favor of an expanded MTD concept. The single large dining room is being redesigned to be four smaller no charge themed restaurants with enhanced menus. There will be a total of 18 dining venues split 50/50 between no charge and fee based.

The menus look the same as the ones listed for RC now. These have been in effect for well over a year. What's different food wise?

I just googles it and found the whole list of restaurants, pictures and menus. WHAT A SELECTION! I'd never be able to decide. Looks very grand!!!!

Edited by fourkittys
added text

Would this concept aid the waiters, not having such a large area to work in. Although on a 2nd thought, it might make it harder and the poor chefs having to deal with menus from differant dining rooms. Oh well, will not worry about until we find it on one of our cruises

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Most here may know that. Just relaying what I was told. Dont shoot the messenger

:eek: :rolleyes: :p ;) :D :eek:

Disappointing to hear. We enjoy the social aspect of cruising and sitting down to dinner with 3-4 other couple for dinner is a big part of that. We keep in touch with many of the couples we have cruised with. While we enjoyed the speciality restaurants onboard Allure we missed some of the camaraderie that developed with our dinner mates from smaller ships.

It's stupid. I don't want to eat at 5 PM or 7PM or whatever time when on a cruise. I don't wear a watch and don't give a hoot what time I eat. I like to eat when I feel hungry. People ruin everything, cruising, vacation, even going up in the mountains to relax with watches and computers. This will be my 1st and only time on RCL.

Unlike previous Royal Caribbean ships, Quantum-class ships will not have a main dining room, nor will they have an option for traditional cruise dinners where passengers have the same table and servers each night.[25] Instead, these ships will use a Dynamic Dining concept similar to the Freestyle concept used on Norwegian Cruise Line, with guests being required to make reservations for their choice of restaurant for each night in advance.[26] Each venue will maintain the same menu and staff throughout the cruise.[27]

Unlike previous Royal Caribbean ships, Quantum-class ships will not have a main dining room, nor will they have an option for traditional cruise dinners where passengers have the same table and servers each night.[25] Instead, these ships will use a Dynamic Dining concept similar to the Freestyle concept used on Norwegian Cruise Line, with guests being required to make reservations for their choice of restaurant for each night in advance.[26] Each venue will maintain the same menu and staff throughout the cruise.[27]
Too similar to NCL for me. Hope RCI keeps some form of tradtiional on a good portion of its ships.

Disappointing to hear. We enjoy the social aspect of cruising and sitting down to dinner with 3-4 other couple for dinner is a big part of that. We keep in touch with many of the couples we have cruised with. While we enjoyed the speciality restaurants onboard Allure we missed some of the camaraderie that developed with our dinner mates from smaller ships.

Where's the "like" button? I was about to write a post that would have said exactly the same thing. I have no intention of sailing on a ship with dynamic dining.