SHARE: Are you ready for a $49 cover charge?

rbt001

Nope: that's not for a couple. $49 is the cover charge per person. For a couple that would be $98.

Want an additional entrée? There's a charge for that too!

I disembarked from Emerald on 11/21 and had visited Adagio nightly and Sabatini's twice for dinner.

My information came from several staff members -- who despite my dumbfounded stare-- assured me they weren't joking.

When I reminded myself that I saw online the GastroPub lunch menu with a $19 cover, I reasoned that maybe the staff was sincere.

For those who dine in Princess Specialty Restaurants, what are your thoughts? Will you visit Share with a $49/pp cover? Just once to try it? Eat there regularly if you like it? Not even once?

In your reply, please include your past frequency of use (i.e. "I always eat in Crown Grill/Sabatini's/Sterling/Bayou each at least once, only for a special occasion, multiple times, etc.")

If you NEVER eat in Specialty Restaurants, please start your own thread explaining your reasoning, rather than cluttering this one up. Thank you.

$49 PP does not bode well. And that's probably with drinks extra.

That's the same price, or at least it was, of a UBD, which is a FAR more intimate, romantic meal with fantastic service. And you get one drink with it...

We tried the $19 Gastropub, and were disappointed. Unfortunately it sounds like Princess is paying a lot for the name and charging appropriately.

Also, unfortunately, this is way too much for a specialty restaurant - no matter who's name is on it. Sorry Curtis.

But I can't see them keeping Crown Grill at $25PP with a $49PP restaurant on the same ship.

Nope: that's not for a couple. $49 is the cover charge per person. For a couple that would be $98.

Want an additional entrée? There's a charge for that too!

I disembarked from Emerald on 11/21 and had visited Adagio nightly and Sabatini's twice for dinner.

My information came from several staff members -- who despite my dumbfounded stare-- assured me they weren't joking.

When I reminded myself that I saw online the GastroPub lunch menu with a $19 cover, I reasoned that maybe the staff was sincere.

For those who dine in Princess Specialty Restaurants, what are your thoughts? Will you visit Share with a $49/pp cover? Just once to try it? Eat there regularly if you like it? Not even once?

In your reply, please include your past frequency of use (i.e. "I always eat in Crown Grill/Sabatini's/Sterling/Bayou each at least once, only for a special occasion, multiple times, etc.")

If you NEVER eat in Specialty Restaurants, please start your own thread explaining your reasoning, rather than cluttering this one up. Thank you.

Perhaps they are following Celebrity's foot steps when it comes to raising the "cover charge".

Going back to your original question, I will probably will not visit the specialty restaurants at $49 per person unless travelling with someone new who wants to experience this. The wife and I have done it plenty of times and could do without. We are planning on taking our little ones to the specialty restaurants next year if the prices stay at what they are now. If they go up, then we will take them back to Morton's or something of that caliber.

Perhaps they are following Celebrity's foot steps when it comes to raising the "cover charge".

But Celebrity has to offer "half off" specials very often to fill their restaurants.

We've enjoyed Sabatinis in the past but at $49/pp those days are probably over. I'd rather spend that $100 on a good bottle of wine with dinner in the MDR.

Wow that's steep, I didn't realize it would be that much. That's got to be one phenomenal menu to justify such a high price. If not I'd just do the Crown Grill a couple times like we always do. I will miss my Sabatini's, as much as I love to see something new, I'd rather it be in addition to the two existing restaurants for more options, rather than replace one that I thought was very good.

We typically dine in Specialty Restaurants 3 times per 7 days. Never has it been fewer than 2. And we are a party of 3, not 2, so the charge to me (the one footing the bill) would be $147. Nope. Not going to do it. I already have a "sunk cost" in my dining, and $147 is actually on top of what I have already spent. So the meal would have to be very, very special for me to pony up another $147. And flame me if you wish, but I consider cruise ship dining to be "just OK" with an occasional detour into good-to-very good. And that includes the Specialty Dining options. I don't pay $75 for us to dine in Sabatini's because we think the food is so outstanding. I have access to far better Italian food 5 minutes from home. I spend the money for a change of venue, a smaller, more intimate dining room, and yes, some good-to-very-good food. $75 is a price I am willing to pay to escape an MDR menu that doesn't excite me. But $147? Nope.***

***If I were sailing on a cruise that had a great OBC offer and I had credit to spare, I would consider trying Share at this price, provided that I didn't have a better use for that credit.

But Celebrity has to offer "half off" specials very often to fill their restaurants.

We've enjoyed Sabatinis in the past but at $49/pp those days are probably over. I'd rather spend that $100 on a good bottle of wine with dinner in the MDR.

We would if we had a lot of OBC to burn.

We tried to get into Celebrity's restaurants (mainly Tuscan Grille ~ $45 or Murano's ~ $50) and they were booked for the whole week. I've never seen half off Celebrity's restaurants (I've read it here, but not seen it). Sometimes they will offer 20% off, though.

As a solo cruiser I eat in one of the speciality dives at least once on a 7-nite cruise, a couple times at least, on longer cruises. I hadn't planned on eating in the new SHARES restaurant; my mind made up when it first became advertised. I certainly won't be eating there with a $50 cover charge! I think this will sway those folks who were undecided before

Edited by Treven

We usually dine at Crown Grill or Sabatini's once or twice a cruise. We plan to try out Share on our Christmas cruise on the Emerald. We'll decide if it's worth it to us or not.

I hope you will write a detailed review for us curious minds!

We always go to both the Crown Grill and Sabatinis at least once per cruise - and more if we are on a cruise that has more than 2 formal nights. In the same price range as Share we did the Winemakers Dinner ($40 per person) on the Royal Princess last month. All 10 people at the dinner said they would sign up for that every night if they varied the menu. We felt that the food, unlimited wine, wonderful service, and ambiance was well worth that cost. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to visit Share and at $49 per person (not including wine I presume) the reviews would have to be awesome.

Our on last three cruises, our TA has gifted us dinner in Sabatini's or Crown Grill (our choice). We've paid to eat in the Bayou Cafe a few times, but I don't see us paying an extra $49.00 per person to eat in Share.

I would rather spend the money going out to dinner at a local restaurant.

We always dine at the Crown Grill once during a cruise. If the price doubled, think we would skip it.

Yes indeed....worth it at $25 but will not go again unless included as a free perk. Love their food, atmosphere and service but won't pay $100 for dinner for two on a cruise when $50 is a fair price for both sides. :(

We've been to Sabatini's a few times & Crown grill once or twice. There nice but for us it's hardly worth the extra cost. I'm sort of glad that Share is going to be $49 because at that price I would even think twice about going. It appears that they have a good number of people who will pay the money. Lots of new cruisers sailing lately I suppose who are willing to try it all.

We have always dined at Crown Grill and Sabatini's once per cruise. However, after our recent experience on the Grand we decided we might not eat at Sabatini's in the future as the meal was very mediocre. Crown Grill was still well worth the $25 upcharge.

In a word, no, we would not try SHARE at a $49 per person charge. In view of the quality of meals on the Grand recently I wonder if Princess is intentionally lowering the quality of the free dining venues to make the specialty restaurants seem more attractive. If that is the case we might be inclined to have an early dinner on shore before returning to the ship.