Embassy Suites reviews; please be sure to read if..

Esmerelda

you are planning on staying there. We had very poor experiences and two of the more recent reviews on TA pretty much mirror what we experienced.

I felt like we had wasted a lot of money there a few years back and there are so many other wonderful hotels in that area. I'm so glad that we stayed at other hotels after our visits there. (and I'm a Hilton Silver Honors member). Always read reviews anywhere you are planning on staying.

Just some food for thought...

:o

If you're talking about the ES on 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale I would be surprised..We have stayed there a few times with wonderful experiences and am looking forward to being there again this coming September.

Both of our last 2 stays there in Fort Lauderdale, the room was dirty upon entering. The carpet was dirty (and sticky in the last room!!). Anyone that knows me, knows cleanliness is my number one priority. The furniture was worn badly. None of us felt the happy hour and breakfast were anything to write home about. I remember the breakfast being especially bad (cold food, ran out of food?). The staff as well never seemed too happy either. Our last stay was 2011.

Read the reviews on TA titled: "Never Again", "Don't Do It", "Bad Experience". I didn't go any further past those 3 yesterday due to time but they pretty much sum up what we experienced. People rave about this hotel on here and it was just not that type of experience for us, not even close and we are not picky people. Since that time, we have stayed at the Hilton Marina (totally enjoyed our stay, room was spotless and the ships are right in your backdoor!). The Gallery One, absolutely wonderful just last year for $109 bucks. The Lago Mar, and the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort also. Yes, those last 2 are more expensive but they were very much worth it for us. Totally pristine hotels in every way. We also want to try the Hyatt Pier 66, and the II Laguna Hotel. I just think folks need to try different places then they might have a different viewpoint.

Since 2011 was your last stay at Embassy Suites are you aware they have updated the rooms, lobby and breakfast area since then?

I got a price for November of $119 through MVP which is cheaper than most other hotels at that time.

Hotel stays are really subjective and reviews are sometimes correct, sometimes not and sometimes fake. I didn't mind the ES and it's been a couple years since I was there...but I did NOT like the Hilton Marina, due to cleanliness, condition of the room and lousy staff attitude.....I will not return there..... The Hyatt Pier 66 had some issues (for instance a broken glass OUTSIDE the door of the room upon check in and the housekeeper's cart was next to it....)

When I mentioned it to the manager, he was so apologetic and made it right (there were a NUMBER of other problems too, mostly with cleanliness or the lack thereof) instantly....

Not arguing, just saying that everyone has an opinion to which they're entitled, and to read many reviews on Trip Advisor and sort of average them out...(there are a large number of them that are in fact, fake...not saying this is the case here, but we all know that it happens...)

Have been there twice since your stay (2011 isn't really that recent) and can't agree with your review. Yes, it has gotten expensive...demand is very high. But the nightly reception is ES standard, as is the morning breakfast. I will agree the breakfast could be a bit smoother in it's presentation.

Both of our last 2 stays there in Fort Lauderdale, the room was dirty upon entering. The carpet was dirty (and sticky in the last room!!)....

Thanks. I know you and trust your judgement. Will be looking into your recommendations for our next family cruise next year out of Fort Lauderdale.

My post was meant to be helpful to cruisers. The reviews I posted titles to are recent reviews, not from me 2 or 3 years back.

Keep in mind, this is my opinion (and my families) only based on our experiences. It would look like renovations haven't made a huge difference to the recent hotel guests based on some reviews.

:o

As with most sites that review products, services etc..there are always a few either raving about the product or finding it the lowest of the low. One needs to look at the majority/general comments and decide from there. (agreeing with Megr)

Experiences more than a few months out of a hotel or restaurant can be very misleading when places come under new ownership, renovations, menu changes etc. Unless I see ALL great or ALL "the pits" reviews, I read with an open mind. Some things complained about wouldn't be a concern in my mind for our stays ie ( shuttle service, pool area, restaurants) Those can be impt to others and they will lower a rating because of them. CLEANLINESS is an issue for us. However that can be addressed at the time and if NOT corrected immediately,then for sure I would down grade the review.

A handful of really bad reviews among a large group of average to above average doesn't scare me away from anything.;)

I haven't styayed at the FTL Embassy Suites. We prefer to not stay in chains when traveling. So my thoughts presented above are for ANY hotel reviews. And not intended to rebuke or confirm any comments re ES on 17th St.

Edited by eandj

I stayed in the Holiday Inn Express the same street four years ago, and had a terrible experience, hated it, and wrote a review on Tripadvisor about it too, but I have moved on....I see that they get great reviews now on Tripadvisor, so my experience was probably..just a one of.

Will I go back there? NO....especially at the prices they charge, but I also dont try to tell anyone today, that the place is dirty or bad. I have not been there in four years, so my experience in 2010 has no bearing on today.

I know people who have stayed at Embassy Suites very recently and they are clean freaks and they loved it. So they are the people I would prefer to listen to. Still the Embassy suites charges very high prices compared to places nearby, so I dont know how they get away with this if the place is dirty and staff are rude.

Sorry but I would place more credence in your review of the hotel if your stay was more recent. But I would still rather believe my neat freak friends who were there just a couple of weeks ago.

Edited by SMSACE6

You brought up some good points SMSACE6. However, the basis of my post was regarding the newer reviews from this past week on T/A, not just my previous experience.

I encourage people to try new places, don't get stuck in the same hotel as Fort Lauderdale has some really great places to stay, many in fact.

Just like a cruise line, had we never tried a different one, we would have nothing to compare too. Take a risk, try new things..you might be surprised!

:p

I'm enjoying reading all the comments about the more popular hotels along SE 17 St in FLL. I'm going to be there for 3 days before a cruise next February.

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice, clean, reasonable priced hotel/motel in amongst the big expensive ones.

I agree that I can't believe how much Holiday Inn is charging...they aren't that special..even La Quinta Inn is charging alot for their rooms in my estimation....they're not Hiltons or Hyatts, LOL

Maybe it's too early too start looking...all the prices are pretty high...high $200-$300 a night or more.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Joyce :D

I'm enjoying reading all the comments about the more popular hotels along SE 17 St in FLL. I'm going to be there for 3 days before a cruise next February.

Was wondering if anyone can recommend a nice, clean, reasonable priced hotel/motel in amongst the big expensive ones.

I agree that I can't believe how much Holiday Inn is charging...they aren't that special..even La Quinta Inn is charging alot for their rooms in my estimation....they're not Hiltons or Hyatts, LOL

Maybe it's too early too start looking...all the prices are pretty high...high $200-$300 a night or more.

Joyce - February is high season and if your visit should be over Presidents' Day Weekend prices will be even higher. What are your dates?

Your time frame is a peak week in peak season.

Too early to start looking? No, you keep waiting and you will not find a hotel room. Occupancy in South Florida is through the roof and hotels are charging what people are paying.

The closer you get to your dates, the more expensive the rooms will get.

You brought up some good points SMSACE6. However, the basis of my post was regarding the newer reviews from this past week on T/A, not just my previous experience.

I encourage people to try new places, don't get stuck in the same hotel as Fort Lauderdale has some really great places to stay, many in fact.

Just like a cruise line, had we never tried a different one, we would have nothing to compare too. Take a risk, try new things..you might be surprised!

:p

I completely agree! For years the ONLY place we stayed was the Embassy Suites. The location was so convenient and we always got a great rate. As with anything including cruise lines, you get comfortable with the familiar and find it hard to try something different. The price for ES has continued to be higher in the past couple of years. Our last two stays at ES were not good. Customer service was not good and when we arrived the last time at 8pm at night, we walked into a dirty room that hadn't been cleaned. :( Not good after a long day of travel.

This past April we stayed at both the Hilton Marina and Doubletree Galleria. We really enjoyed both of these hotels and won't be going back to the Embassy Suites. Just my two cents!

Looking at Trip Advisor reviews there are 1205 total reviews for Embassy Suites (ranked #31 of ft. lauderdale hotels). Of those 1205:

74% are either excellent or very good

10% are poor or terrible

OP mentioned how much she enjoyed her stay at the Hilton Marina. Hilton Marina is ranked #70 (way down the list) of the Ft. Lauderdale hotels and came up with this ranking out of 2169 reviews:

58% are excellent & very good

21% are poor or terrible

Just thought that was interesting.

Edited by allie3490

There are always bad reviews on TA. Just so happens this week there may have been 3 in a row. Big deal. Next week it could be 8 fantastic reviews in a row. You just never know. I am staying there in November and I'll report back after our cruise in early December. A few years back DW and I had reservations at an AI in Riviera Maya. Very mixed reviews on it, probably more bad than good. We were on the brink of switching but decided to try it out. We loved it, didn't have one major complaint. Not every review is going to good.

We are also sailing in February.

We reserved a room at Roadway Inn. Far less then $200 with our CAA/AAA discount. Pay now rate was cheaper then that.

I'm sure there will be some negative posts to my reservation choice but I did my research..I have scoured through 100's of reviews on several different travel sites and 95% of the reviews are positive.

Plus a co-worker whom is a picky traveller just returned from there last night and while she said its more of a "motel" over a "hotel" they had a great experience and would stay again in a heartbeat.

Roadway in provided a free shuttle to/from airport and to the pier & light breakfast.

Edited by vacation_junkie

We are also sailing in February.

We reserved a room at Roadway Inn. Far less then $200 with our CAA/AAA discount. Pay now rate was cheaper then that.

I'm sure there will be some negative posts to my reservation choice but I did my research..I have scoured through 100's of reviews on several different travel sites and 95% of the reviews are positive.

Plus a co-worker whom is a picky traveller just returned from there last night and while she said its more of a "motel" over a "hotel" they had a great experience and would stay again in a heartbeat.

Roadway in provided a free shuttle to/from airport and to the pier & light breakfast.

That motel is a nightmare. No way the reviews are real that 95% are positive. I go by that hotel often.

Edited by BlueHerons