a little nervous

third time cruiser

My husband and family members are scheduled to cruise Anthem in May 2016, after everything that happened recently we are concerned...what are your thoughts?

I would not hesitate to sail on that ship or with that captain/crew.

Anthem's itineraries for May are east coast USA to Caribbean, so I'm guessing "everything that's happened recently" is the storm.

There was no risk of a serious incident (like a sinking ;)), but the captain may well have been hauled over the coals for keeping to the itinerary through weather that was almost-certain to make it uncomfortable for a couple of days and possibly result in minor damage & possible minor injuries - which is what did happen.

Weather forecasting of seas & winds is extremely good these days, and the captain knew about the storm. Because of the bad publicity given to that cruise, ships' captains will surely be more cautious in the near future. So the greater risk is a disruption to your itinerary in the extremely unlikely event that the weather in May is stormy.

The topic has been discussed at length on a few threads, here's a couple of them

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313074

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2313424

The prospects of a disrupted itinerary are very slim and the prospects of sailing through a big storm even more slim.

So, no worries, go enjoy. :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

My husband and family members are scheduled to cruise Anthem in May 2016, after everything that happened recently we are concerned...what are your thoughts?

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would not be concerned, looking forward to our next cruise.:)

I would say that the safest ship in the ocean for the next year or so will be the Anthem. There is NO WAY they are going to take any chances with that ship having another "issue." Consequently, the odds of them taking a chance with another storm is pretty small.

It's more likely that you will miss a port or something when they are too conservative with weather.

(No intention to say that cruise lines aren't ALWAYS somewhat conservative about the weather)

Edited by kbanowsky

I would be thrilled to death.

Join your roll call, start your research, check out the port of call boards, get familiar with the decks on the ship.

The ship will be fine. There may be some 'replacement pieces and parts' such as furnishings etc they will be awaiting delivery but the ship will be safe and you won't notice much of what you currently see in the videos. U.S. Coast Guard and others are carefully inspecting the ship right now and it will be back in order.

Welcome to CC. Happy you found us.

Edited by sail7seas

To get you started, here is a link to Bermuda:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=196

Best you do your own research as we don't know what you like.

Do you like to shop, drink, take a familiarity over-view taxi ride around the island..... ?

After what happened (unfortunate but rare) Anthem will probably now be the safest ship afloat. ;)

Look forward to having a wonderful cruise! :)

"After what happened" to Anthem, what you should probably be worried most about is spending you first two days in port because of reports of possible winds at sea.

"After what happened" to Anthem, what you should probably be worried most about is spending you first two days in port because of reports of possible winds at sea.

Dear navybankerteacher;

Thank you for your suggestion. A couple of extra days in port x our fleet x 52 weeks a years might really add up in fuel cost savings. I'll get our numbers guys and gals working on that right away.

Sincerely,

R. Fain

b.c.c. Purchasing Dept., Who much would it cost to get and install wind machines at each of the ports?

;)

Edited by DirtyDawg