Why to avoid AA for your cruise

Gig103

I've been reading up on the new "Basic Economy" tickets from American Airlines. What they do tell you is that you can't have a carry-on, choose your seat, and you will board last.

What they don't tell you (but is reported on Flyertalk and Twitter) is that you will not be re-accommodated on another airline if there is a flight delay, and you are at the bottom of the queue for automatic re-accommodation.

The worst part is that they won't even put you on another flight unless Basic Economy is available on it. You have to wait for an available seat or take a refund (and then buy a replacement fare with whomever you want, same-day as opposed to your carefully budgeted flights from 6+ weeks earlier). If you cancel an outbound flight they haven't clarified if that cancels the whole ticket or not.

So imagine that you're on your way to FLL for a nice winter getaway. You have added an extra day because it's the smart thing CC'ers do. Snow in Chicago forces your flight to be cancelled. "Oh sorry we can't get you there for three days, but here's your $90 back."

the new "Basic Economy" tickets from American Airlines

What they don't tell you (but is reported on Flyertalk and Twitter) is that you will not be re-accommodated on another airline if there is a flight delay, and you are at the bottom of the queue for automatic re-accommodation.

The worst part is that they won't even put you on another flight unless Basic Economy is available on it.

It's rare to be re-accommodated on another airline these days, even with a regular ticket. Very few domestic airlines have agreements with each other to do so anymore.

It makes sense to me that those paying the least amount of money are re-accommodated last. If I paid more, I'd certainly be expecting to be helped before someone who paid a rock bottom price.

There are pros and cons to everything. The big pro for a basic economy ticket is the low price. But you can't have your cake and eat it too, so you give up some things in exchange for that low price.

I've been reading up on the new "Basic Economy" tickets from American Airlines. What they do tell you is that you can't have a carry-on, choose your seat, and you will board last.

The worst part is that they won't even put you on another flight unless Basic Economy is available on it. You have to wait for an available seat or take a refund (and then buy a replacement fare with whomever you want, same-day as opposed to your carefully budgeted flights from 6+ weeks earlier). If you cancel an outbound flight they haven't clarified if that cancels the whole ticket or not.

So imagine that you're on your way to FLL for a nice winter getaway. You have added an extra day because it's the smart thing CC'ers do. Snow in Chicago forces your flight to be cancelled. "Oh sorry we can't get you there for three days, but here's your $90 back."

Perhaps you could comment on why you singled out AA when DL and UA offer the same class of service with the same restrictions.

Basic Economy is one of at least 3 classes of service offered in the Coach section of an aircraft.

The legacy air carriers are trying to compete with the same level of service offered on low cost carriers like Spirit, Allegiant, etc.

And, of course, those low cost airlines suffer from the same maladies as the basic economy service on Delta, American, and United.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I purchased our AA tickets for our upcoming trip (two weeks) quite a while ago under a fare class that included one checked bag each plus Group A Boarding. They don't offer this fare class anymore. (Choice Essential). We paid $250 each for these RT tickets (PHL to FLL).

Looking at the 'basic economy' fares now, I feel like we really got a bargain when you consider we're saving the checked bag fee which would be $50 each for the RT and have a seat selected.

My only concern is making sure that when we get to the airport, this fare class is still noted on our reservation. I took a screen shot of the benefits and have the email confirmation that says "Choice Essential". I hope its enough...because I don't want to be told I have to pay for my checked bags and get to the back of the line for anything.

The fare class should be noted on your ticket. You can always check your reservation online and print out a copy. AA, DL and now UA are all offering Basic Economy and it has been noted here and in other places that it is not a real bargain for someone going on a cruise or pretty much any other vacation. The only time I would ever consider using a BE fare would be a last minute, emergency trip for a day or two. Beyond that it is really not a bargain but too many people do not look at the bottom line and see Spirit and Frontier offering $79 fares to popular destinations only to find out that the add ons push those fares way up. Just be a savvy shopper.

I purchased our AA tickets for our upcoming trip (two weeks) quite a while ago under a fare class that included one checked bag each plus Group A Boarding.

AA never did boarding by letters. Until March 1st you've either been Priority or nothing.

As of March 1st there are now nine subgroups for boarding, 1-4 being able to use the Priority lane with 5-9 in the Main line. Each group should be called in order starting with First Class as the only people in Group 1.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/boarding-process.jsp

As someone who purchased a Choice Essential fare you would be in Group 4 and can use the Priority lane but only when your boarding is called.

If your flight is cancelled due to weather, odds are all airlines are going to be affected, so there'd be no seats on other airlines anyway.

Solution is simple, just don't purchase these fares if they don't work for you.

If your flight is cancelled due to weather, odds are all airlines are going to be affected, so there'd be no seats on other airlines anyway.
Generally, interline agreements helped passengers affected by mechanical problems, and when delays resulted in a missed connection. Not everyone connecting through an airport originated from the same part of the country.

Solution is simple, just don't purchase these fares if they don't work for you.
Of course, but I thought part of the matter here is that cruise air is now utilizing these fare classes, so what you're saying would be advice to stop going through the cruise line for airline arrangements.

I have no idea if cruise air offers these fares. At least on UA, they are offered only on very limited routings so far. Did a post in this thread say cruise air was booking these fares?

Don't believe my post offered any recommendation where people should book their air.

By George, I think I've got it. The message isn't "avoid AA for cruises." The underlying message is "be a smart educated consumer, understand the terms and conditions of what you are purchasing, and be willing to accept the consequences of those terms and conditions." And even better - that same message applies not only to air, but also to your cruise ticket, your travel insurance policy, your hotel, your excursions, and so much more.

By George, I think I've got it. The message isn't "avoid AA for cruises." The underlying message is "be a smart educated consumer, understand the terms and conditions of what you are purchasing, and be willing to accept the consequences of those terms and conditions." And even better - that same message applies not only to air, but also to your cruise ticket, your travel insurance policy, your hotel, your excursions, and so much more.

I agree.

As they say the devil is in the details. :)

Keith

I will certainly not be avoiding AA, but I will never purchase any of the Basic Economy fares on any airlines including AA's version. AA's Basic Economy is only current available on a very limited number of flights.

It would like flying on Spirit which I will never do again.

AA makes it very clear if you are purchasing a Basic Economy fare.

I will certainly not be avoiding AA, but I will never purchase any of the Basic Economy fares on any airlines including AA's version. AA's Basic Economy is only current available on a very limited number of flights.

It would like flying on Spirit which I will never do again.

AA makes it very clear if you are purchasing a Basic Economy fare.

I agree...a basic economy may cost less in terms of $$ but when you consider that the airfare is but one piece of the vacation puzzle, I'd rather spend a little more to get at least a bit of flexibility.

I remember many years ago when Eastern Airlines was still flying, they ran a special red-eye flight from EWR to LA and back for $49 each way. The restriction was no checked luggage at all (it was a cargo flight) and one carry-on per person. No beverage or meal service at all; the flight attendants on board were minimal and only for safety reasons. I took that flight as a cheap way to vacation for a week in LA. It was great as a 22-year old, but I'd never do that again.

I agree...a basic economy may cost less in terms of $$ but when you consider that the airfare is but one piece of the vacation puzzle, I'd rather spend a little more to get at least a bit of flexibility.

I remember many years ago when Eastern Airlines was still flying, they ran a special red-eye flight from EWR to LA and back for $49 each way. The restriction was no checked luggage at all (it was a cargo flight) and one carry-on per person. No beverage or meal service at all; the flight attendants on board were minimal and only for safety reasons. I took that flight as a cheap way to vacation for a week in LA. It was great as a 22-year old, but I'd never do that again.

And that logic applies generally. "Drink of the Day" versus top shelf. Inside cabins versus balconies; balconies versus suites; mainstream premiums cruise lines versus super-premium cruise lines.

Moonlight Special on EA. Using A300 night flights where the belly was filled with cargo, so no room for checked bags. At first was routed through Houston, then through Chicago. Secondary routes through Kansas City. Eventually killed because of nightime noise restriction complaints and excessive flying time for pilots and FAs.

Bingo! I just used AA for a cruise (in December). No issues whatsoever. Took a carry on and a personal item as well as a checked bag for free due to having the AA credit card. No need to avoid AA or any other airline. Just be a wise consumer of air travel :)

Moonlight Special on EA. Using A300 night flights where the belly was filled with cargo, so no room for checked bags. At first was routed through Houston, then through Chicago. Secondary routes through Kansas City. Eventually killed because of nightime noise restriction complaints and excessive flying time for pilots and FAs.

That's it! I knew there was a name for the flight!

I remember them telling us that anyone showing up with a bag too big for the 'carry on', they would TRY to get it to you on a flight the next day. They were serious about nothing but the cargo in the belly of the plane.

Just a note about interlining. Delta and AA have agreed to no longer work together to ease delays, cancellations, etc. I don't recall when this goes into effect but it's a done deal.
Sep 15, 2015