Air Fares

mcrcruiser

if the right hand doesn't get you the left one will. Whenever hotel rates or cruise rates are low air fares are high. If air fares are high the others are normally low, one seems to drive the other.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

After having booked air this year for flights from JFK to San Juan, & comparing fares from our last trip one year ago, we intend to look closer at what ports we cruise out of in the future. Our flights increased 25% over one year ago. It will be a bigger factor in choosing our future cruises. We'd love to cruise out of NYC & eliminate the flights altogether, but a winter departure see 3-4 days of colder weather & kind of defeats the purpose of fleeing the cold!

Prices for air fare should be coming down some with the price of oil falling but don't expect any great deals, the airlines are making good money these day's. We always try Choice Air prices and then see if we can match or do better on our own.

J.

Edited by jsf

Living in the midwest leave little options as to a 1200-1300 auto trip vs 1/2 hour to get to an airport. The real issue for us is how long is the flight and whether we want to upgrade to business class.

Prices for air fare should be coming down some with the price of oil falling but don't expect any great deals, the airlines are making good money these day's. We always try Choice Air prices and then see if we can match or do better on our own.

J.

If you believe that I have some great swampland in Florida for sale................

If you believe that I have some great swampland in Florida for sale................

I booked my 4 hours on-stop flight from cleveland to san juan for my upcoming cruise with only 3 weeks notice, for $310 on united. Last year it was $700.

Some up, some down. In cleveland we;'re actually kind of lucky united pulled out so competition has returned and we have several of the low-cost carriers now.

with only 3 weeks notice, for $310 on united. Last year it was $700.

That three weeks is the clue. Pretty educated bet the flight was either not selling well or there were just a very few seats left and United wanted to dump them so they could close out the plane. And please don't tell me the airline seat map was wide open. VERY, VERY bad indicator of how full a plane is.

Often, you can get some pretty good bargains 3-4 weeks pre flight. BUT you also run the risk of a VERY high price, particularly during peak periods-holidays/Spring Break/Presidents Week, etc. etc.

That three weeks is the clue. Pretty educated bet the flight was either not selling well or there were just a very few seats left and United wanted to dump them so they could close out the plane. And please don't tell me the airline seat map was wide open. VERY, VERY bad indicator of how full a plane is.

Often, you can get some pretty good bargains 3-4 weeks pre flight. BUT you also run the risk of a VERY high price, particularly during peak periods-holidays/Spring Break/Presidents Week, etc. etc.

The seat map was pretty full actually.

There were 2 1st class seats open down and about 12 in economy. Economy plus were full, (there was 1 non reclining exit row) I'm elite and had no access to those seats so they were sold. Coming home, there were 3 1st and about 18 economy left to choose from.

I booked my 4 hours on-stop flight from cleveland to san juan for my upcoming cruise with only 3 weeks notice, for $310 on united. Last year it was $700.

Some up, some down. In cleveland we;'re actually kind of lucky united pulled out so competition has returned and we have several of the low-cost carriers now.

We live in Toronto but we drove to CLE twice last year for flights to MCO and FLL - once on Frontier and once on United, both at very good price. We like CLE.

I am thinking about purchasing tickets for our October European cruise using Choice Air. The Choice Air flights I am interested in are listed as "Delta" flights on Choice Air. Will I be credited with Delta sky miles for the flight?

If there some way to check before purchasing a flight to see if miles will be awarded?

Thank you.

@pushkin-- not sure about the miles, but before you buy tickets check the flights booking 1 way instead of roundtrip. I am watching for tickets to Venice in Oct and decided to just check out of curiosity and they are actually cheaper that way than roundtrip!

If there some way to check before purchasing a flight to see if miles will be awarded?

Yes....buy from DL directly.

Some bulk tickets earn miles, some don't - and the problem is that you often won't know until after you've made your purchase.

Unfortunately, there is no simple answer to your question. Roll them bones!