Post your air credit here

Sopwith

Having read and participated in this forum for 18 months or so, it is apparent that there is a lot of dissatisfaction over O's air arrangements. As others have stated, we have three options: (a) take what they give you, when they give it to you, which is usually (always?) after final payment; (b) pay the deviation charge and choose your own routing and schedule; this may also involve an upcharge which is applied at O's discretion; and © take the credit they offer and book your own air. It's a tough decision when you don't have much hard information at hand.

I won't editorialize any further for the time being. But I thought it would be helpful if we work together to gather some factual data which might help to inform future decision making. To this end, I suggest that if you are quoted a credit by O to do your own air, please post the amount of the credit and the routing here so others will be informed. Hopefully once we accumulate a bit of factual data it will help to fuel a more informed debate.

I will further suggest that if this idea takes off, it would make the thread more usable if we stick to the facts here and carry on the debate and discussion in other threads.

Hoping everyone participates...

I'll go first:

January 2014, YVR --> MIA on AA and MCO --> YVR on AC

Credit offered = US$199 each, declined.

Deviation fee = US$150 each.

Upcharge = US$300 each on AA plus US$100 each on AC.

I appreciate your wanting to be proactive about figuring out the particulars of Oceania Air, but simply listing fares and fees is quite simply an exercise in futility.

It won't work for the same reason that the similarly well intentioned Thread about Port Shuttles never took off; there are too many variables and absolutely no guarantee that past performance is any promise of future results.

If we go into this right off the bat thinking of reasons why it won't work, of course it's going to fail. It will only work if the people here want it to work.

If we think about reasons why it will work, possibly something useful might emerge, who knows? Personally, I would find the information interesting, and maybe, just maybe, useful. We'll see.

I'll go first:

January 2014, YVR --> MIA on AA and MCO --> YVR on AC

Credit offered = US$199 each, declined.

Deviation fee = US$150 each.

Upcharge = US$300 each on AA plus US$100 each on AC.

Deviation fee on Oceania is $175 each..so am I correct you have made an error?

Jancruz1

If we think about reasons why it will work, possibly something useful might emerge, who knows? Personally, I would find the information interesting, and maybe, just maybe, useful. We'll see.

I'm not trying to be a Nay Sayer, believe me, I would be very happy if you were asking for information that would spread knowledge....but this won't do it, and as you can see by your own response, even the most well intentioned people can make mistakes.

Frankly, where people SHOULD put their research efforts is into looking at the commercial flights which are being offered at the time when they are flying to and from their cruises.

Using the Internet as a tool, anyone can easily do this in ten or fifteen minutes.

Seeing which flights are out there gives one the best idea as to whether Oceania Air is a financial "Deal" or not, and will also give an overview of what flights (and schedules) Oceania is likely to choose (i.e. if you had to buy a ticket for cousin Fred to get there, which flight would you pay for?).

Knowing the Fares will also give you an insight into which flights (i.e. the more expensive ones) are likely to come with an up-charge, and which will not.

Otherwise, prospective Oceania Air users need to be cognizant that, if a non refundable $175 pp Deviation Fee has been paid, then specialized reservations may be made as early as 270 days out, but that Air Tickets are not actually purchased until final payment has been made, and that without the purchase of a Deviation the Oceania Air details are not released until 75 days before sailing, which is typically too late to cancel and make other arrangements.

Knowledge is power, but what you research must be germane, not simply "interesting". ;)

And there is nothing to the ensure that the air credit will be the same from cruise to cruise or year to year -- or even 3 months from now.

There is only one procedure that works:

find out what the air credit is

factor in deviation fee if you want to choose better flights or arrive/depart on different dates

research the cost of flights if you do on your own

do the math

There is no way to put this in a spreadsheet

AND if you have status on a particular airline that is another variable -- can u get free upgrade, upgrade for miles, economy plus seats for no uncharge?

Edited by bitob

My solution is simple - always do my own air. I'm fussy about routing, airlines, seating, transfer time and airports. I nail down arrangements at earliest possible date and put it all to bed - except for subsequent flight changes by airlines. This has never been a signifcant problem.

I'm not trying to be a Nay Sayer, believe me, I would be very happy if you were asking for information that would spread knowledge....but this won't do it, and as you can see by your own response, even the most well intentioned people can make mistakes.

Frankly, where people SHOULD put their research efforts is into looking at the commercial flights which are being offered at the time when they are flying to and from their cruises.

Using the Internet as a tool, anyone can easily do this in ten or fifteen minutes.

Seeing which flights are out there gives one the best idea as to whether Oceania Air is a financial "Deal" or not, and will also give an overview of what flights (and schedules) Oceania is likely to choose (i.e. if you had to buy a ticket for cousin Fred to get there, which flight would you pay for?).

Knowing the Fares will also give you an insight into which flights (i.e. the more expensive ones) are likely to come with an up-charge, and which will not.

Otherwise, prospective Oceania Air users need to be cognizant that, if a non refundable $175 pp Deviation Fee has been paid, then specialized reservations may be made as early as 270 days out, but that Air Tickets are not actually purchased until final payment has been made, and that without the purchase of a Deviation the Oceania Air details are not released until 75 days before sailing, which is typically too late to cancel and make other arrangements.

Knowledge is power, but what you research must be germane, not simply "interesting". ;)

Totally agree, it's a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string".

This "Free Air" is a marketing thing plus a service if you want to use it. IMO it is really simple especially in today's world of Internet. Check out the flights you want and what it would cost to book them on your owne. Ask Oceania what the air credit is. Use simple math to see what is best for you. If you need

to, figure in the devation fee. To answer the question one year ago the credit for NY to Miami RT was 400$, this year 300$ pp.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

If we go into this right off the bat thinking of reasons why it won't work, of course it's going to fail. It will only work if the people here want it to work.

I agree. Also, nothing ventured nothing gained!

We took the air credit for our Istanbul to Venice cruise in August.

We live close to Manchester in the UK so flights from there are very much more convenient than the standard London flights. The extra charge for Manchester flights at that time was £149 each. We wanted to fly in a day early and fly out 3 days later so we would have had to pay the air deviation fee too. Both cities are popular destinations from Manchester so we had no problem finding direct flights for a little less than the air credit we gained.

I'm also very fussy about flights and choose my timings with care, so for me it was a no brainier to take the air credit and I'm delighted Oceania gives us the opportunity to do it.

We're doing Singapore to Shanghai next year and again I've booked flights from Manchester going in 2 days early and coming home 2 days later. There were several routes to choose from and because we chose BA we could use points to pay for part of the flights! We also avoided the deviation fee and the extra charge for a regional airport. For us this is a big deal as it adds up to so much extra.

I'm very happy booking cruise only, but if I was going to Tahiti it might be different. It's not quite so easy to get to.

Here's what I have learned. My experience is limited to six cruises with Oceania. Only in one case, where our options were severely restricted (flights to Tahiti) did we choose to take the included air. Given that we are not able to fly from one of their hubs, it's an additional $199 per person plus the deviation fee of $175 which pretty much insures that I can match "the free air" and be assured of flights that accommodate my schedule and seat selection. If you do choose to take Oceania Air, my advice is to make your decision sooner than later, as the allowance to Europe decreased from $1100 to $800 as final payment approached on one of our 2013 cruises. It might also be advisable to check with the airlines involved before accepting a deviation to see if seat selection is available. I have found that Air Canada and Qantas will not allow seat section in economy until 24 hours prior to departure. Additionally, I was not allowed to upgrade to premium economy with Air Canada until 24 hours before departure. When possible, we fly with a European rather than domestic carrier to Europe as the designated compensation for flight delays or cancellations applies in both directions. We were to fly at the time when the Icelandic volcano erupted; British Airways was more than fair regarding compensation. For a true premium economy experience, not just additional leg room, fly Virgin Atlantic. Pre-approved status with TSA really cuts the time in lines. And finally, when considering your own air, take a look at the second port on the cruise and assess the difficulty in reaching that destination from your original scheduled departure. Hope this is helpful to someone!

Edited by GJH123

For me, it's simple. If I have to pay money for a flight, I've NEVER found a flight that was the same or less than the credit from Oceania. I ALWAYS take the Oceania flight, ALWAYS the deviation, and in every case, the total of the credit plus the deviation fee would not have covered the cost of the flight if I booked it myself. I stand in awe of the folks who do find flights for less than the credit; they apparently have access to airline fare websites I've never seen.

All of the flights provided by Oceania have been as good as any I could book on my own.

I'm not fussy about flight details. I have booked economy plus when I could; it's not a deal breaker if I can't. I have flown Business Class when someone else is paying for it, or when I'm using Miles, but I would never put out actual cash for the difference. Why? We're talking about 9 or 10 hours in most cases; I can put up with anything that long to save a buck. There is absolutely no way I'm going to pay the equivalent of the cruise fare for several hours of extra comfort.

When I have enough Miles, however, it's a different story. I flew Business Class to Copenhagen last year and am booked for Business Class to Venice next year, all on miles. When I have only enough miles for coach, I fly coach. I consider it flying for free, or almost free as my taxes were $10 last year and $19 next year.

One thing I am "fussy" about, I'll never fly the amount of time it would take to go to Australia, Asia or the South Pacific. That's one of the biggest reasons we booked the World Cruise; no flying (except short hops for some tours).

Im sorry, are you quoting air from over a year ago?? That is when the deviation was $150..

Jancruz1

Nothing wrong with that, I think, as long as the information contains a date. In fact, over time it would be valuable seeing how these things change. Especially since there have been implications that the air credits have been getting lower.

My own experience, from November 2014:

- one-way non-use air credit $350 (drove home), TPA-MIA

- one-way upgrade to Premium Economy, MIA-Heathrow-BCN, $600 upcharge plus (at that time) $150 deviation fee

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Nothing wrong with that, I think, as long as the information contains a date. In fact, over time it would be valuable seeing how these things change. Especially since there have been implications that the air credits have been getting lower.

- one-way upgrade to Premium Economy, MIA-Heathrow-BCN, $600 upcharge plus (at that time) $150 deviation fee

You are right Wendy..my bad I did not go back to see there was a date on it..

Sorry,

Jancruz1

Last month, the air credit for Chicago-Miami, San Juan-Chicago was $300.

I was able to book non-stop flights in both direction for $350, so took the air credit to avoid the flights O put us on, which we didn't like because they involved changing planes.

We were on the same cruise with Andee and we also took the air credit of $300. Indianapolis is not usually a gateway city, although it was for this particular cruise. We took the credit so we could fly non-stop on Southwest, a carrier never utilized by Oceania, and not have to pay for baggage. There are lots of reasons to take the air credit, all of which have to be researched individually for each cruise as the facts may differ dramatically from cruise to cruise.

For me, it's simple. If I have to pay money for a flight, I've NEVER found a flight that was the same or less than the credit from Oceania. I ALWAYS take the Oceania flight, ALWAYS the deviation, and in every case, the total of the credit plus the deviation fee would not have covered the cost of the flight if I booked it myself. I stand in awe of the folks who do find flights for less than the credit; they apparently have access to airline fare websites I've never seen.

All of the flights provided by Oceania have been as good as any I could book on my own.

I'm not fussy about flight details. I have booked economy plus when I could; it's not a deal breaker if I can't. I have flown Business Class when someone else is paying for it, or when I'm using Miles, but I would never put out actual cash for the difference. Why? We're talking about 9 or 10 hours in most cases; I can put up with anything that long to save a buck. There is absolutely no way I'm going to pay the equivalent of the cruise fare for several hours of extra comfort.

When I have enough Miles, however, it's a different story. I flew Business Class to Copenhagen last year and am booked for Business Class to Venice next year, all on miles. When I have only enough miles for coach, I fly coach. I consider it flying for free, or almost free as my taxes were $10 last year and $19 next year.

One thing I am "fussy" about, I'll never fly the amount of time it would take to go to Australia, Asia or the South Pacific. That's one of the biggest reasons we booked the World Cruise; no flying (except short hops for some tours).

Took a cruise Tahiti to NY... the air credit would have been $850 pp RT Hawaii-Tahiti and NY to Hawaii. I took the Oceana one way for $425 credit for there NY Hawaii and used miles for first. Oceania provided me a coach ticket Honolulu to LAX with an overnight ( great) and Air Tahiti coach to PPT.

The best fare I could get for that routing was $2800 !!! And 4 weeks before I got offered Business class for $700pp No air Deviation... saved $2100pp over the best lowest coach flight !!! So yes took the flight for 1/2 not the credit... Are you kidding

I also agree on Australia fares..that are the equal of the cruise fares and why I hoard my miles and thing out of the box like flying to Cairns in 3 legs rather than Sydney for 60%

Took a cruise Tahiti to NY... the air credit would have been $850 pp RT Hawaii-Tahiti and NY to Hawaii. I took the Oceana one way for $425 credit for there NY Hawaii and used miles for first. Oceania provided me a coach ticket Honolulu to LAX with an overnight ( great) and Air Tahiti coach to PPT.

The best fare I could get for that routing was $2800 !!! And 4 weeks before I got offered Business class for $700pp No air Deviation... saved $2100pp over the best lowest coach flight !!! So yes took the flight for 1/2 not the credit... Are you kidding

I also agree on Australia fares..that are the equal of the cruise fares and why I hoard my miles and thing out of the box like flying to Cairns in 3 legs rather than Sydney for 60%

Oh yes, another issue with posting experiences in order to understand the Air Deviation process is that some of what is written will be so self aggrandizing that it will be impossible to decipher any usable information at all....:rolleyes:

You are right Wendy..my bad I did not go back to see there was a date on it..

Sorry,

Jancruz1

2013 perhaps?

Oh yes, another issue with posting experiences in order to understand the Air Deviation process is that some of what is written will be so self aggrandizing that it will be impossible to decipher any usable information at all....:rolleyes:

Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black!!!

And don't forget many many inaccurate response we have seen lately that tend to confuse the ones we are trying to help!!!!