Why isn't Princess doing a better job with ship upkeep.

MISTER 67

I think if you look for wear and tear you'll find it. The only time I really noticed this was in Alaska on the Oosterdam (HAL) just before her dry dock. And while it may have been better had the dry dock been scheduled sooner, it also possible I only noticed it because of comments made on CC about the ship. However, it didn't detract from the cruise and I even booked a sling on her 5 months later. Of course, she was spotless after the dry dock, but the experience was just as good as before dry dock.

I have found that for every good review there are six bad ones. Many bad ones I've seen written by the same people on different lines. The bad comments are the individuals impressions. Food is especially subjective. People see rust and think that they aren't painting. All ships at sea develop rust .

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had a Vista suite on the Caribbean Princess in December of 2015. While we thought most of the public areas were nicely updated and well maintained, our suite was a huge disappointment. The soft furnishings were ratty and mismatched, and that's the nicest thing I can say about them. My cabin steward insisted on putting the (disgusting) bedspread on each day, even though I said we didn't want it. There were a bunch of problems with the cabin, and although we had a good time and met some wonderful people I didn't think we got good value for our money AT ALL! We had a cabin crawl and saw some mini suites and balconies that had been nicely updated, so hopefully they've done the aft suites by now![emoji57]

We have over 30 cruises with Princess and have seen ships that badly needed upgrading. However, being on the Island Princess to Panama for the first time last fall I have to say that ship is in great shape. In fact, I loved the size, the flow etc of the ship. The way the buffet areas are laid out is much better than the ships like Ruby. I'm now looking for more Island cruises!

We were on the Caribbean Princess last week. Until then we only Cruise Disney. We saw many post about the ship being worn and in need of repair. I thought the ship was in great shape. I saw very little signs of wear, and had a great week.

The reason non-critical areas may not seem as kept up as they used to: just like hotels, resorts, etc. (and even seaside residences) it is the cost and availability of capital and prioritizing the use of it as a limited resource across all the needs. In other words...business.

Generally speaking, with the ever-present harsh environmental conditions ships face we feel they do a pretty darn good job. You could look at any ship, hotel, seaside home, etc. and find some weather-worn areas. To us, we view it as part of being on a ship and it's a bit of a novelty and reinforcement of a sea-going vacation!

We were on the Caribbean Princess last week. Until then we only Cruise Disney. We saw many post about the ship being worn and in need of repair. I thought the ship was in great shape. I saw very little signs of wear, and had a great week.

Thanks that's good to hear. I will be on Caribbean Princess in January.

Tony

• 2 months later...

PCL no longer gets it. We cancelled 2 cruises (one with pre-cruise tour) on the Crown because the ship was simply unsanitary.

I have 40 cruises with Princess, and 50 overall. I have the majority of my cruises with Princess for a reason. That being said, DW and I did a cruise to get out of the cold on the CB last December and noticed that there was a significant lack of upkeep.

We observed significant neglect in the cabin and it's bathroom, the Spa Treatment Room, the Spa Locker Rooms & Bathrooms (all truly deplorable and should have been taken out of service), as well as some of the public areas.

I know that the CB is/was scheduled for a Refurb (or hopefully 2) in 2017, but this was far worse than other ships that we have experienced awaiting refurbs / drydock.

I even, as a first, went to Passenger Services on Embarkation Day to request a change of cabin. There were none available. Had this been a hotel, we honestly would have walked out.

In a similar comparison to yours, we did a cruise on X in May, 2016. That was on the Constellation, which is about, and if not, the same age as the CB. That ship sparkled, as it was impeccably maintained for it's age. Also, the Azamara ships (R-Class) are even older and much better maintained.

So, I, for one, agree. In the Routine Maintenance Department, Princess does need to step up their game.

Thanks that's good to hear. I will be on Caribbean Princess in January.

Tony

Good Luck Paisan!

We found the CB in tip-top shape on our 20 April cruise. Had a great cruise. Was there issues, yes but subjective and minor. They were still working on it while we cruised. I've never seen any unsanitary conditions on any Princess ship.

framer

Oops. I meant the CB was unsanitary prior to drydock. After reading reviews of the CP, we opted to cancel. If we had not seen it all on the CB, we would not have feared it on the CP.

Unsanitary? I suspect there could be a slip up here or there, but with all the inspections and such, I personally doubt that it is widespread. To each their own though.:confused:

A lot of reviews are personal opions of what is good . I see them painting and chipping all the time even on Sunday. On port days they launch a small boat and paint one side. On the pier side their is another crew painting . They are painting areas they can't paint at sea.