La Reserve FYI

Jancruz

An evening in La Reserve by Wine Spectator is as special a dining experience as one can find anywhere at sea – or ashore for that matter. A gourmet dinner pairing fine wines with delectable courses is limited to a fortunate 24 guests per evening on both Riviera and Marina. And beginning next month, our new Odyssey menu makes its debut, joining the Discovery and Connoisseur menus that our guests continue to rave about long after they return home. If you have clients who will be celebrating a special occasion on their Oceania Cruises voyage, or clients who truly appreciate a seven-course, gourmet meal paired with fine wines, suggest a very special evening at this unique and intimate dining venue. Reservations may be made beginning 90 days prior to sailing date.

Jancruz1

The odyssey Menu

*Bay Scallop Teriyaki Seared on Riverstone

Laurent Perrier Rosé

Reims, France

This remarkable pink rosé Champagne is truly expressive, showing fine balance, with a vibrant tanginess to the flavors of black currant, strawberry, licorice and candied ginger. The finish reveals a lasting note of smoky minerals, creating a perfect pairing with the Bay Scallop Teriyaki.

*Escalope of Périgord Rougié Foie Gras Sautéed with Pineapple and Hibiscus Flowers

Chateau de la Roulerie Coteaux du Layon

Loire Valley, France

This 100% Chenin Blanc reveals ripened apricot, clementine and peach flavors layered with candied orange peel and date notes. The long finish emerges

sweet and tangy aromas, creating an elegant match that enhances the sophisticated flavors of the dish.

*Maine Lobster Cassolette with Tarragon and Sea Urchin Bisque

Mer Soleil Chardonnay

Santa Lucia Highlands, California

Citrus driven nose with hints of pineapple, banana, vanilla and coconut. Big and well balanced oak at the same time. The rich, sophisticated finish will assist in creating a classic, elegant pairing for the Lobster Cassolette.

Portobello Mushrooms Risotto

with Smoked Ricotta and Black Truffle

Il Bruciato Bolgheri Doc

Bolgheri, Italy

A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah, that develops savory spice and tobacco notes, followed by blackberry, dark cherry and caramel. The palate is fresh and clean, with a good heft in order to be associated with the flavors revealed by the Smoked Ricotta and Portobello Mushrooms.

*Wellington of Veal Tenderloin with Cabernet

Sauvignon Reduction and Harvest Vegetables

Eberle Cabernet Sauvignon

Paso Robles, California

A beautiful Cabernet Sauvignon, complex and rich in blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors, dry, with lingering acidity. Full-bodied and well balanced on the finish, will create a

perfect match for the Veal Tenderloin.

Napoleon of Poached Williams Pear

and Melted Brie de Meaux

Domaine de Vieux Lazaret Chateauneuf-du-Pape Rhône, France

This exceptional Chateauneuf-du-Pape develops black cherry and black currant fruit notes intermixed with cedar wood, licorice and a touch of Provencal herbs. This deep ruby wine is fresh, ripe, full-bodied, a classic that will accompany the Poached Williams Pears and Brie de Meaux with elegance.

Floating Island Accompanied by Pralines and Roasted Pistachio Cream

Prepared À la Minute

Marenco Brachetto D’Acqui Pinetto DOCG Piedmont, Italy

Intense ruby with pink shade. Very delicate with notes of crushed strawberry and roses on the nose. Mild, soft and delicate on the palate with an amazing power and elegance, balancing the delicate Floating Island.

Calisson de Provence

*Public Health Advisory: Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk for foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.

611132 0914

It sounds wonderful, unfortunately we will be disembarking Riviera on November 29, the cruise it is scheduled to begin on and then we will be on the World Cruise for 180 days starting in January. I guess it will be next Fall before we can indulge!

Cenia

Edited by CAG

An evening in La Reserve by Wine Spectator is as special a dining experience as one can find anywhere at sea – or ashore for that matter. A gourmet dinner pairing fine wines with delectable courses is limited to a fortunate 24 guests per evening on both Riviera and Marina. And beginning next month, our new Odyssey menu makes its debut, joining the Discovery and Connoisseur menus that our guests continue to rave about long after they return home. If you have clients who will be celebrating a special occasion on their Oceania Cruises voyage, or clients who truly appreciate a seven-course, gourmet meal paired with fine wines, suggest a very special evening at this unique and intimate dining venue. Reservations may be made beginning 90 days prior to sailing date.

Jancruz1

I love La Reserve. Please use any pull you have to get something similar on the R ships. We are going on Insignia on Nov 11 for 12 days.

They could call it a Chefs Special Evening and maybe limit it to 12 people so they could put it in the diningroom.

CJ

Edited by cruisingxpert

I love La Reserve. Please use any pull you have to get something similar on the R ships. We are going on Insignia on Nov 11 for 12 days.

They could call it a Chefs Special Evening and maybe limit it to 12 people so they could put it in the diningroom.

CJ

There is good news and there is bad news-

Good news: The R ships had "Chef's Patio Evenings" until about two years ago-

They were one of the many original perquisites for the passengers in the big Suites...

Bad news: attendance dropped off after the first few years, and they were eventually discontinued due to lack of participation.

Edited by StanandJim

It's really a very nice dinner (we do it every time on "O", but really a lot of the lines do the same thing--not just "O". Let's be honest about it.

Rick

To be honest, La Reserve beats any Chef's table on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, etc. The quality of the cuisine and the number and variety of wines paired easily outshines the others, and I've had some Chef's Tables done by Chaine de Rotisseur member chefs.

There is good news and there is bad news-

Good news: The R ships had "Chef's Patio Evenings" until about two years ago-

They were one of the many original perquisites for the passengers in the big Suites...

Bad news: attendance dropped off after the first few years, and they were eventually discontinued due to lack of participation.

I'm wondering if attendance didn't drop off because people weren't invited. We would have participated, and we're usually in a PH, BUT I don't remember ever receiving an invitation or even a notice about these evenings ...

Maybe we just missed it. Or maybe when you say "big suites" you mean VS and OS (the "big suites"), which would explain why we never saw notice.

But if they were restricted to the OS and VS on the "R" ships, that isn't many people.

Mura

Signed up today via our awesome TA for the Connoisseur (first time) and Odyssey (of course first time) for our upcoming AUS / NZ cruise on Marina in Feb and can't wait. We have done the other two before (Exploration once, Discovery twice) and it really is a great night of wine, food, intimate conversations, new friends, and some really out there pairings of all of the above. If you like wine and food and great conversation, this is a must do at least once. Just be ready to drink lots of wine... With seven paired courses, over around 3 to 4 hours you ARE going to make friends at your table of 8 and it is quite convivial by the end and they practically have to kick people out around 11:30...

We always love our nights there and feel it's worth every penny. One of the many reasons we keep sailing O! So much fun!

The odyssey Menu

*Bay Scallop Teriyaki Seared on Riverstone

Laurent Perrier Rosé

Reims, France

This remarkable pink rosé Champagne is truly expressive, showing fine balance, with a vibrant tanginess to the flavors of black currant, strawberry, licorice and candied ginger. The finish reveals a lasting note of smoky minerals, creating a perfect pairing with the Bay Scallop Teriyaki.

*Escalope of Périgord Rougié Foie Gras Sautéed with Pineapple and Hibiscus Flowers

Chateau de la Roulerie Coteaux du Layon

Loire Valley, France

This 100% Chenin Blanc reveals ripened apricot, clementine and peach flavors layered with candied orange peel and date notes. The long finish emerges

sweet and tangy aromas, creating an elegant match that enhances the sophisticated flavors of the dish.

*Maine Lobster Cassolette with Tarragon and Sea Urchin Bisque

Mer Soleil Chardonnay

Santa Lucia Highlands, California

Citrus driven nose with hints of pineapple, banana, vanilla and coconut. Big and well balanced oak at the same time. The rich, sophisticated finish will assist in creating a classic, elegant pairing for the Lobster Cassolette.

Portobello Mushrooms Risotto

with Smoked Ricotta and Black Truffle

Il Bruciato Bolgheri Doc

Bolgheri, Italy

A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah, that develops savory spice and tobacco notes, followed by blackberry, dark cherry and caramel. The palate is fresh and clean, with a good heft in order to be associated with the flavors revealed by the Smoked Ricotta and Portobello Mushrooms.

*Wellington of Veal Tenderloin with Cabernet

Sauvignon Reduction and Harvest Vegetables

Eberle Cabernet Sauvignon

Paso Robles, California

A beautiful Cabernet Sauvignon, complex and rich in blackberry, black currant and coffee flavors, dry, with lingering acidity. Full-bodied and well balanced on the finish, will create a

perfect match for the Veal Tenderloin.

Napoleon of Poached Williams Pear

and Melted Brie de Meaux

Domaine de Vieux Lazaret Chateauneuf-du-Pape Rhône, France

This exceptional Chateauneuf-du-Pape develops black cherry and black currant fruit notes intermixed with cedar wood, licorice and a touch of Provencal herbs. This deep ruby wine is fresh, ripe, full-bodied, a classic that will accompany the Poached Williams Pears and Brie de Meaux with elegance.

Floating Island Accompanied by Pralines and Roasted Pistachio Cream

Prepared À la Minute

Marenco Brachetto D’Acqui Pinetto DOCG Piedmont, Italy

Intense ruby with pink shade. Very delicate with notes of crushed strawberry and roses on the nose. Mild, soft and delicate on the palate with an amazing power and elegance, balancing the delicate Floating Island.

Calisson de Provence

*Public Health Advisory: Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, seafood, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk for foodborne illness, especially if you have certain medical conditions.

611132 0914

It sounds wonderful, unfortunately we will be disembarking Riviera on November 29, the cruise it is scheduled to begin on and then we will be on the World Cruise for 180 days starting in January. I guess it will be next Fall before we can indulge!

Cenia

Mer Soleil and Eberle representing Chardonnay and Cab (respectively) from California? These are decent low to mid-range wines but pretty unexciting and really nothing special (certainly not on Wine Spectator's or the SF Chronicle top 100 lists)

Not to get in a geography war, but why not look north for far more intriguing items. For the food you're offering (in fact, forget the food and just drink the wine) you could cover that whole menu with wines from a less than 20 mile stretch along 128 through Philo in Mendocino County.

OR, why not just focus you CA picks on State Fair or Sunset Mag stars, which include entries in the lower price range of Mer Soleil or Eberle.

It would be interesting to hear from some Euro wine folks about the non-CA choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not to get in a geography war, but why not look north for far more intriguing items?

LOL, no offense but I think that you may be missing the boat on this one,

La Reserve is, after all, a Dinner with wine pairings, not a wine tasting; affordability and availability are therefore a large part of the equation.

One of the marks of a really good Sommelier is knowing when to serve those really subtle wines. Any of us could do it with a cellar full of Smoking Loon :D

That said, the Onboard Wine Staff are very interested in bringing new and/or interesting wines to the attention of those passengers who show any kind of an interest and there are sure to be be multiple Wine Tasting Events (some open, some private) continuously throughout your voyage, and at every kind of price point.

If you aren't hearing about them, or reading about them in Currents, stop in at La Reserve, or talk to the Sommelier in any of the Restaurants.

La Reserve is, after all, a Dinner with wine pairings, not a wine tasting; affordability and availability are therefore a large part of the equation.

One of the marks of a really good Sommelier is knowing when to serve those really subtle wines. Any of us could do it with a cellar full of Smoking Loon :D

That said, the Onboard Wine Staff are very interested in bringing new and/or interesting wines to the attention of those passengers who show any kind of an interest and there are sure to be be multiple Wine Tasting Events (some open, some private) continuously throughout your voyage, and at every kind of price point.

If you aren't hearing about them, or reading about them in Currents, stop in at La Reserve, or talk to the Sommelier in any of the Restaurants.

I think it's a given that it's not a wine tasting. Nonetheless, the number of "pairings" during the dinner would overwhelm even the most sophisticated of taste buds. And, still, there are far better choices in that +/- $20 retail range to represent, at least, the CA varietals or the subtleties any of its particular winemaking approaches.

As for the sommeliers, I've chatted with a few in both MDR and specialty venues and we're not talking about members of the Court of Master Sommeliers. Even an oenology degree from Fresno State or UC Davis (where only recently has the law allowed students to tats their craft) doesn't translate to a discerning palate.

I do agree that this might be a worthwhile experience for folks who do not have regular access to exceptional dining. But, let's be honest: these "pairings" are just as much about recognizing greater profit by offering whatever acceptable wine may be available at the BevMo 5 cent sale.

Sorry, I just hate seeing CA wines so poorly represented.

To be honest, La Reserve beats any Chef's table on Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, etc. The quality of the cuisine and the number and variety of wines paired easily outshines the others, and I've had some Chef's Tables done by Chaine de Rotisseur member chefs.

Try the one on Silver Seas.....

Rick

Recently sailed on Riviera and thought the selection of California wines was sad. Have been blessed to live in CA for many years and have also had the chance to visit wineries in France, Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, etc., etc. I'm by no means a wine expert, simply a wine lover. IMO, California has some of the best wines in the world due to an enviable climate and the absence of archaic Old World restrictions. Oceania's wine list seems to have been selected by an accountant at HQ who has never ventured West. Can someone from Wine Spectator please step in to help?

Having said that, I wouldn't single out Mer Soleil Reserve Chardonnay for contempt. It's aged for 12-15 months in French oak barrels and hand-stirred sur lees. Please let me know when I can buy two bottles for $20.05 at Bev-Mo. I'll be first in line! My recent Riviera cruise would have been much enhanced had Mer Soleil been offered by the glass. Seriously, given the Wine Spectator affiliation and the emphasis on the best dining at sea, someone with a broader outlook needs to take a hard look at the wine list.

"affordability and availability" - exactly.

"Smoking Loon" - rotflol!!

If I remember correctly, the La Reserve premise is wines selected by Wine Spectator and rated 90 or above. O then creates menus to match.

imo you can have a wonderful time with wine & food on O without eating at La Reserve (we have). That said, some very knowledgeable foodie friends ate multiple times at La Reserve their last voyage and LOVED it. It is nice to see a new menu with new pairings. ymmv!!

Edited by babysteps

Yes, the new menu looks great! On our last Riviera cruise they had to cancel most of the La Reserve dinners because of lack of attendance. We didn't sign up because we had already tried the two menus that appealed to us.

Recently sailed on Riviera and thought the selection of California wines was sad. Have been blessed to live in CA for many years and have also had the chance to visit wineries in France, Spain, Italy, Australia, New Zealand, Chile, Argentina, etc., etc. I'm by no means a wine expert, simply a wine lover. IMO, California has some of the best wines in the world due to an enviable climate and the absence of archaic Old World restrictions. Oceania's wine list seems to have been selected by an accountant at HQ who has never ventured West. Can someone from Wine Spectator please step in to help?

Having said that, I wouldn't single out Mer Soleil Reserve Chardonnay for contempt. It's aged for 12-15 months in French oak barrels and hand-stirred sur lees. Please let me know when I can buy two bottles for $20.05 at Bev-Mo. I'll be first in line! My recent Riviera cruise would have been much enhanced had Mer Soleil been offered by the glass. Seriously, given the Wine Spectator affiliation and the emphasis on the best dining at sea, someone with a broader outlook needs to take a hard look at the wine list.

It's not that Mer Soleil isn't a decent wine. Rather, IMO, there are more interesting CA varietals with outstanding pedigrees readily available in the same price range (e.g., Jordan or Duckhorn. In fact, in the mid $20s, I'd look at Martin Ray's Santa Cruz entry or Navarro Reserve.

And my comment about the "5 cent sale" was meant in general. Last time I looked at Bev Mo, the Mer Soleil was in the mid $20 range (case price) w/o 5 cents option. Probably cheaper at Safeway and even better through the winery's club program.