San Pedro CA hotel recent review?

Princess18

When we flew to LA and used Princess hotels they used the Sheeraton near the airport. It was walking distance to a convenience shop and liquor/wine shop TI pick up last minute items. It was clean, friendly and just what was needed for one night.

We have never stayed at the Crowne Plaza, but we have stayed at the Doubletree a few times...as recently as January. It was not good back in January. Everything was dirty and old and not up to doubletree standards. For the price they charge per night (which doesn't include breakfast unless you add that in) it just doesn't make sense, although it is close to the cruise terminal with shuttle service. Given those two choices, I'd pick the Crowne Plaza.

We are fortunate to be able to drive to Los Angeles from Phoenix, and we've been staying near the Orange Country airport area at a nice hampton inn. It's about a half hour/forty minute drive to San Pedro from there, but they have a nice all suite hotel, a nice shopping mall and super target close by, a nice breakfast (included) and close freeway access all for around $100 per night. If you are flying in to Long Beach or LAX, this location doesn't make much sense though.

Looking for recent reviews on Doubletree inn San Pedro and Crowne Plaza San Pedro. Sounds like these properties are used by Princess, but online reviews are citing cleanliness issues. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Whoaaaa. I had read trip advisor's review on the Doubletree and found a recent one claiming bed bug activity. It's like the kiss of death for me. While the manager's denial followed, I am not believing it. Three years ago, I stayed at a $350 a night resort and got eaten alive by them. So gross. What a nightmare. The Crown appears to have some renovations slated for the end of this year but haven't had an update on that.

The area in San Pedro adjacent to these hotels is in the midst of being re-gentrified, not the best area. You might be better off staying in Long Beach at the Hyatt or Marriott. They probably have shuttle service to the ship.

Unless things have changed, only shuttle is to ships in Long Beach and not to San Pedro.

I don't see anything wrong with San Pedro area; we stay at Crowne Plaza all times we board there. As for Doubletree, have never used them and after reading above, never will.

The Double Tree is in a beautiful location by the water and boats. Every hotel can get bedbugs. They can be carried in my anyone at any time. The best hotels in NY have had them and so have the hotels in Disneyworld. Now a days you take your chances when you travel. That's why they tell you to never put your suit cases on you bed when you are unloading them after a trip.

I would think that any hotel has the potential of getting bed bugs. Imagine if someone checked into a ritzy hotel with "infected" luggage. It's not as if there's a way of checking luggage for bugs as there is for hidden contraband. So if you're unfortunate to get that same room right after guy with buggy suitcase...you'll be getting those little critters hopping into bed with you.

My hubby had bought a spray that he used on our suitcases before our luggage was brought back into our house. I'm not sure if he sprayed our beds...If I find the spray in the garage, I'll check the label. You can go on Amazon and do a search and I'm sure you'll find it or something similar.

To clarify the first post, the San Pedro hotels are not "used by Princess," but seem to be the preferred choices for those staying at pre-cruise hotels for Princess passengers. Princess uses the LAX Marriott, but not really the best choice when you can stay near the port and get a shuttle to the port at your convenience (rather than dealing with the Princess shuttle from the hotel when they tell you). And if you're staying in the airport area, you certainly don't want to walk around that area in the evening or night.

If you stay at the CP or Doubletree, you can easily walk to stores (or use their free local shuttle) to get desired or needed items. In California, you can get wine at grocery stores (there's a Vons in that area) and some drug stores (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, but you'll need to check their websites to make sure those locations carry alcohol).

There are some nice Long Beach hotels (if considering this area, you might want to go over to the Western Destination board and look for posts by BruinSteve, who recommends some and warns against others), but they probably shuttle only to the Port of Long Beach (which is almost used exclusively by Carnival). So if staying there before a Princess cruise, make sure to specify to any shuttle or taxi driver that you're going to the Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro.

The Double Tree is in a beautiful location by the water and boats. Every hotel can get bedbugs. They can be carried in my anyone at any time. The best hotels in NY have had them and so have the hotels in Disneyworld. Now a days you take your chances when you travel. That's why they tell you to never put your suit cases on you bed when you are unloading them after a trip.

Absolutely correct. NY is overwrought with bed bugs.

But it doesn't matter whether you put your suitcases on the bed or not. The critters will find you. When in the hotel, place luggage in the shower and if you have special bed bug protectors for luggage, zip your suitcases in them. If you bring one critter home and if it's pregnant, you are essentially in deep trouble.

Now I am NOT saying there is any rational reason to my avoiding the doubletree but with my former encounter, I am just saying that I will avoid a place that has active reports.

Whoaaaa. I had read trip advisor's review on the Doubletree and found a recent one claiming bed bug activity. It's like the kiss of death for me. While the manager's denial followed, I am not believing it. Three years ago, I stayed at a $350 a night resort and got eaten alive by them. So gross. What a nightmare. The Crown appears to have some renovations slated for the end of this year but haven't had an update on that.

For the warning :eek:

We stayed at Crowne Plaza in February before our Hawaii cruise, and it was great. Hotel was very clean and room was updated with all the basic amenities. Staff was very friendly, and we had breakfast and dinner at the hotel. Food and service were excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. I thought the area was completely safe. I walked several blocks to the CVS the morning of our cruise and had no concerns. I'm not sure I'd walk around late at night by myself, but I wouldn't do that in any urban area. Highly recommend CP for pre or post cruise stay.

We stay at the CP whenever we leave from San Pedro, which is quite often. I like the

hotel. The staff is great, if you are a IHG rewards member, internet and breakfast is free.

The shuttle is great. The area around the hotel is fine.

Greg

We've stayed at the Crowne Plaza several times. It was perfectly fine; good location, free shuttle to port. We always walk to the uptown area in the morning for last minute purchases.

I have always gotten it on Hotwire for less than $90; however, it is a toss-up if you will get the Crowne or the Doubletree, as they have the same rating.

Either would be fine with me, although the thought of bedbugs is not pleasant; however, I know this is a chance we take, no matter how expensive the hotel.

So far, so good as to bedbugs in any hotel.

We stay at the CP whenever we leave from San Pedro, which is quite often. I like the

hotel. The staff is great, if you are a IHG rewards member, internet and breakfast is free.

The shuttle is great. The area around the hotel is fine.

Greg

Has something changed? I say this because just being a member didn't get you the free breakfast automatically. You had to be in one of the upper level catagories. We have however gotten upgraded several times to exec. level which gave us the freebies up there.

Has something changed? I say this because just being a member didn't get you the free breakfast automatically. You had to be in one of the upper level catagories. We have however gotten upgraded several times to exec. level which gave us the freebies up there.

I think you're correct. Gold Elite and Platinum Elite get free wifi, but there is nothing on the IHG Rewards Club website regarding free breakfast as a perk. We have received breakfast and drinks coupons before, but it's due to us having stayed at a specific Crowne Plaza frequently and the front desk taking care of us.

I think you're correct. Gold Elite and Platinum Elite get free wifi, but there is nothing on the IHG Rewards Club website regarding free breakfast as a perk. We have received breakfast and drinks coupons before, but it's due to us having stayed at a specific Crowne Plaza frequently and the front desk taking care of us.

Oops, there are different charts on different IHG websites and I looked at an old one. Apparently the free wifi is now for all IHG Rewards Club members.

http://www.ihg.com/rewardsclub/us/en/enjoy-rewards

My mother lives in an assisted living facility not too far from there. We drive by there frequently. The area is ok. Gaffey Street Diner is a block away. Guy Fiere had them on triple D. This being said it is not unusual for us to see repair companies there including exterminators. I wouldn't stay there but then again I am very picky, especially about bathrooms. The lowest I will go is the Residence Inn.

My mother lives in an assisted living facility not too far from there. We drive by there frequently. The area is ok. Gaffey Street Diner is a block away. Guy Fiere had them on triple D. This being said it is not unusual for us to see repair companies there including exterminators. I wouldn't stay there but then again I am very picky, especially about bathrooms. The lowest I will go is the Residence Inn.

Are you talking about the BW, or the DT or CP??