Bidding strategy at art auctions

Lou33

I've never considered purchasing art on a cruise ship. But on our last cruise, we went to the auction to get a free glass of champagne. We noticed that very very few of the items on display were one of a kind, original paintings. They were lithographs, and the artist typically produces hundreds of each painting. You don't get the sample that is on display, they will mail one to you from their warehouse. The experience was interesting and it makes me question the bidding strategy.

Before the auction starts, the auctioneers encourages everybody to post their "pre-bids". They say it is very important to have a pre-bid. By placing a pre-bid you will get five extra tickets to the raffle. And remember, if nobody outbids your opening bid, the painting is yours! You are a winner!

But why would somebody do that? The auction house has a "secret" minimum price that they will sell the each piece. And if nobody has a pre-bid, they will start the auction at the opening bid, which may equal the "secret" minimum price. So somebody may place a pre-bid for $1,000, but otherwise, without the pre-bid, the opening bid may have been only $500? Who is to know?

The other issue is why in the world do people bid against each other? The opening bid is $1000, but somebody outbids them. Finally, after the price goes to $1400 the auctioneer says "OK, let's do them a favor! We're going stop the auction right now and let both bidders have a copy for $1,400!" They have 300 copies stored in their warehouse and they just made an extra $800. If you really like a painting that somebody else bid on, why not just wait until after the auction, then ask them "Hey, I liked that painting, will you also sell me another for $1,000?" If they are happy to sell one for $1000, they will certainly sell two. Or maybe offer them $800, they might take it?

Another issue is the raffle. I remember they charge about $40 shipping and handling. We would be hesitant to claim the winning ticket. What if the price of the painting isn't worth the price of shipping? And we probably don't like that particular painting anyway?

Any thoughts?

If you like the art and it's at a price you are willing to pay for it, what does it matter?

It is faux art, pretend, not the real thing, and that it is worth something. That is why it matters. They prey on naive passengers.

Edited by Charles4515

Art? Hardly! I've never understood why anyone wants to spend time at one of those "auctions"...or wants to buy something you can buy anywhere, on a ship!

They make it sound as if these are "investment" pieces...and they are not. You can pick these things up at Bed, Bath and Beyond, or any 'home" store.

Edited by cb at sea

I wonder if the typical opening bids are equal to the secret minimum price? Or if somebody shows interest in a painting, maybe they will open the bidding higher than the secret price, depending how how much they think a particular person would pay?

What if somebody puts in a pre-bid for $10? Has anybody seen them start an auction for a price that is obviously way less than they would sell it for?

I've seen people pay $3,000+ for some these lithographs. I wonder if they may have been shill bidders who work for Park West? Has anybody seen obvious shill bidders?

I LOVE the art auctions......free sparkling wine......lot's of entertainment.....like Nolesrule stated just decide if you want the print at the price requested......they do frame the articles nicely.........and don't forget to DRINK HEAVILY;)............enjoy...............:)

The whole thing is a ripoff and a waste of time.

That's always been my opinion. But it's been amusing to watch a couple times. Last year I saw a piece on Celebrity that supposedly sold for 7,000.00 and looked like crap...........:rolleyes:

It is faux art, pretend, not the real thing, and that it is worth something. That is why it matters. They prey on naive passengers.

I'm sorry. What exactly makes art "real art" as opposed to "faux art"? I've never heard of pretend art before. I've heard of things like prints and reproductions, but that's not the same thing.

I love how they sell self-appraised art ... let me say that again self-appraised!

You know it is worth that much because we ... wait for it ... self-appraised it at that value. LOL

No thanks. :)

I've never considered purchasing art on a cruise ship. But on our last cruise, we went to the auction to get a free glass of champagne. We noticed that very very few of the items on display were one of a kind, original paintings. They were lithographs, and the artist typically produces hundreds of each painting. You don't get the sample that is on display, they will mail one to you from their warehouse. The experience was interesting and it makes me question the bidding strategy.

Before the auction starts, the auctioneers encourages everybody to post their "pre-bids". They say it is very important to have a pre-bid. By placing a pre-bid you will get five extra tickets to the raffle. And remember, if nobody outbids your opening bid, the painting is yours! You are a winner!

But why would somebody do that? The auction house has a "secret" minimum price that they will sell the each piece. And if nobody has a pre-bid, they will start the auction at the opening bid, which may equal the "secret" minimum price. So somebody may place a pre-bid for $1,000, but otherwise, without the pre-bid, the opening bid may have been only $500? Who is to know?

The other issue is why in the world do people bid against each other? The opening bid is $1000, but somebody outbids them. Finally, after the price goes to $1400 the auctioneer says "OK, let's do them a favor! We're going stop the auction right now and let both bidders have a copy for $1,400!" They have 300 copies stored in their warehouse and they just made an extra $800. If you really like a painting that somebody else bid on, why not just wait until after the auction, then ask them "Hey, I liked that painting, will you also sell me another for $1,000?" If they are happy to sell one for $1000, they will certainly sell two. Or maybe offer them $800, they might take it?

Another issue is the raffle. I remember they charge about $40 shipping and handling. We would be hesitant to claim the winning ticket. What if the price of the painting isn't worth the price of shipping? And we probably don't like that particular painting anyway?

Any thoughts?

Well said.

I love how they sell self-appraised art ... let me say that again self-appraised!

You know it is worth that much because we ... wait for it ... self-appraised it at that value. LOL

No thanks. :)

I don't buy anything for my walls based on any appraisals. If I buy a print, a poster, a photograph, an original work, it's because I want to put it on my wall to enjoy looking at it and it's at a price I'm willing to pay for it.

I'm sorry. What exactly makes art "real art" as opposed to "faux art"? I've never heard of pretend art before. I've heard of things like prints and reproductions, but that's not the same thing.

Most of what they are selling is produced in factories. Not made by artists or craftsmen. The main problem with it is that they misrepresent what they are selling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

they have hundreds of paintings on the boat. The only way to guarantee one you want will come up is to put in a "pre-bid". That's how they get people to place those pre-bids to get an item up there. Now, beyond that, some go for the entertainment of bidders in a bidding war, some go for the free champaign, some go for the drawings, some dont' go at all. eh. there is plenty of entertainment on board - look at it this way - if someone is sitting in the art auction, they aren't taking up a deck chair at the pool.

If you bought an internet package it would be very easy to go online to google with your phone/pad, put the artist name and a description in and find out what the reproduction is worth, right on the spot.

Lots of the repo's can be checked out before the auction so it would be very easy to check pricing

You could even show someone bidding a couple thousand that you could buy this back home for 200

Edited by setsail

Everybody needs at least one Michael Godard or Peter Max painting for their man cave.

.......Oh the days of "dropping acid" and going on a "magical mystery tour" staring into one of those.............now THOSE were the "good old days".....;):D

If you like the art and it's at a price you are willing to pay for it, what does it matter?

it's NOT art!.

we have an extensive collection of pieces from John Alvin, Geisl( yes Theodore GEISL, not Seuss) and Chuck Jones Incognito (not his animated works) and Animation sericels. not once have I seen anything advertised at a price remotely near what I can get at home from my gallery, with whom we have a fantabulous relationship.

the prices quoted/minimum bids are far higher than what it would cost to just walk into a gallery and buy it outright, and it WON'T be a copy.

a true collector would know the prices are not realistic.

no amount of free sparkling wine is worth bidding.

.......Oh the days of "dropping acid" and going on a "magical mystery tour" staring into one of those.............now THOSE were the "good old days".....;):D

I think I still have a Peter Max jigsaw puzzle around here somewhere. I dare not think what else could be in that box. [emoji12]

The whole thing is a ripoff and a waste of time.

The onboard art auctions are a scam. They hoodwink naive passengers. Shame on the cruise lines for having them.

Agree, agree. Also agree with subsequent further, similar comments.

I once "won" a 'free' poster. Went to collect after the auction, and was told the shipping price in a cardboard tube was $35. um, no ty