Have you ever been ready for your cruise to end?

Smokeyham

I’m wondering if you’ve ever felt that you’re ready to get off the ship, and be done with a cruise by the time it is over or perhaps at some point during the cruise? Perhaps it wasn’t an overwhelming “can’t stand this” but more “I’m done and am looking forward to going home” feeling?

For most I expect the response will be an overwhelming “No! I wish I could stay longer,” but it would be interesting to hear from those who might feel otherwise and the reasons why.

I'm never ready to go home, but DH does start thinking about all the things he'll have to catch up on when he gets back to work.

Our kids are grown and we don't have a dog that misses us. :( I don't think our cat cares, but that's cats for you!:rolleyes: I do worry about my elderly parents while away, but sister and I take turns traveling so that someone is always close.

We were ready to get off the Royal Princess after a few days. We are small ship people and found the Royal poorly organized when it came to handling crowds. We had to wait an hour for an elevator after the muster drill and anytime dining was a total disaster.

We also found the Royal to have lots of very rude passengers.

Edited by dorisis

Yes, pretty much anytime I cruise with my husband. He's good for about 4 days of cruising and then wants off. Three weeks ago he got a cold on the Friday of a Sunday to Sunday cruise so it was pretty miserable the last two days. I don't have anymore cruises planned with him for awhile. I personally could live on a cruise ship!

Generally, we would agree and say no never, however on our last cruise we were quite happy to get off the ship, we had started to count down the sleeps til we got off (which is a first!),

Why? Well we really didn't enjoy the cruise at all for several reasons, that quite possibly were just us. We sailed on a ship that didn't suit us, we found it really boring on sea days - not normally the case, but this time around we had sea days of 2 days in a row, previously, they have only been 1 seaday , so possibly we've gone off seadays. we spent quite a bit of time in the cabin on seadays and drifted off asleep - not necessarily a bad thing - we were extremely well rested once we got off the ship - but generally we sleep after the cruise! The cruise was the longest we took - 17 nights, prior to this our longest was 11 nights - so perhaps we were over our limit. We found some passengers quite rude - perhaps this was on us - we're a bit casual and lots on board were not casual at all.

We got off the ship wondering if we were over cruising. We have booked another cruise to Queensland, on a ship we have been on a couple of times, only for 7 nights and we can check if the cruise bug is still there or if we're broken! We also have our next Alaska cruise booked for 2015 - and no matter what, we know we want to do that.

I think perhaps we just went with a cruiseline that didn't fit us, most cruisers have a favourite line that fits them to a T. Still glad we went as the ports and our tours were generally fantastic, the scenery was beautiful too.

We found not many activities - but maybe this was because the few things they did offer were for an older generation.

The only cruise I've taken where I was ready to get off (in fact, we considered abandoning the cruise before it ended) was on NCL. There were numerous problems, none of which NCL seemed willing or able to address...including no air-conditioning in our cabin in August in the Caribbean. :eek:

I've not yet been on any cruise longer than two weeks. I usually feel like that's about the right amount of time for me but would be willing to go perhaps another week.

Twice. Once was on an 11 day cruise. I was done by day 9. We often do the 10 day sail on NCL out of NYC. I have learned how to ease myself back.

The other time was the last cruise because I really wasn't enjoying the food and we had been assigned a handicapped cabin which I hated. Without the barriers, due to the movement of the ship, the water from the shower flowed under the bathroom door & leaked out onto the carpet so the carpet in our cabin was soaking wet for most of the trip. It was just so aggravating.

It's not just cruising. We went on a 2 week honeymoon & I wanted to go home by day 10. I worry too much about what's going on when I'm not there

Edited by trish1c

The only cruise I've taken where I was ready to get off (in fact, we considered abandoning the cruise before it ended) was on NCL.

Same here. Twice I've had this feeling, both times were on NCL, and one of them was only a 3 nighter.

Couldn't wait to get off RCCL. As with cruisemom42's NCL experience, too many issues under the control of the line that they weren't willing to address, or made worse when trying to address, it was a week of my life and over $8K down the drain.

Generally, we would agree and say no never, however on our last cruise we were quite happy to get off the ship, we had started to count down the sleeps til we got off (which is a first!),

Why? Well we really didn't enjoy the cruise at all for several reasons, that quite possibly were just us. We sailed on a ship that didn't suit us, we found it really boring on sea days - not normally the case, but this time around we had sea days of 2 days in a row, previously, they have only been 1 seaday , so possibly we've gone off seadays. we spent quite a bit of time in the cabin on seadays and drifted off asleep - not necessarily a bad thing - we were extremely well rested once we got off the ship - but generally we sleep after the cruise! The cruise was the longest we took - 17 nights, prior to this our longest was 11 nights - so perhaps we were over our limit. We found some passengers quite rude - perhaps this was on us - we're a bit casual and lots on board were not casual at all.

We got off the ship wondering if we were over cruising. We have booked another cruise to Queensland, on a ship we have been on a couple of times, only for 7 nights and we can check if the cruise bug is still there or if we're broken! We also have our next Alaska cruise booked for 2015 - and no matter what, we know we want to do that.

I think perhaps we just went with a cruiseline that didn't fit us, most cruisers have a favourite line that fits them to a T. Still glad we went as the ports and our tours were generally fantastic, the scenery was beautiful too.

We found not many activities - but maybe this was because the few things they did offer were for an older generation.

Can you share with us which line this was?

I'm never ready to go home, but DH does start thinking about all the things he'll have to catch up on when he gets back to work.

Our kids are grown and we don't have a dog that misses us. :( I don't think our cat cares, but that's cats for you!:rolleyes: I do worry about my elderly parents while away, but sister and I take turns traveling so that someone is always close.

My dear Andy cared when we left. He was a creature of habit and our being gone messed up his routine! but he is gone now and the other cats do not mind so much. They may not like it but they handle it much better than he did.

As far as wanting to get off ship, I did not care for the NCL Sun. By about day 5 I was ready to go home. Two years ago we did a 12 day Med cruise. I loved the ports but I was tired of the ship after about day 9. It was a beautiful ship with great food too, I was just tired of being on a cruise ship. we only did 2 days by land that trip. I told hubby next trip to Europe I wanted to take only a 7 day cruise and then do a week by land. Going somewhere

new is always exciting and you do get more of a feel for that when you are staying on land.

Last fall we did a 7 day California coastal cruise. All new and we loved every minute on and off ship. We also spent 3 days there post cruise. We loved that too.

We have done the Caribbean so much it is no longer exciting and there are few ports we have not seen there. Even on the best of ships, a 7 day cruise is more than enough, unless we get to several ports that are new to us.

We spent 14 days on our last cruise and were torn between wanting to get home and wanting to stay for another week. I think if we were older without pressures of jobs, pets, etc. Waiting for us, we would have gladly stayed in for another month. We were in Europe, with only one repeated port (which we were glad for the repeat.). Had it been the Caribbean I think we would have been climbing the walls after about 10 days.

Edited by ducklite

Our first cruise was a 7 day Western Mediterranean cruise, very port intensive. We had all port days before we finally had a sea day at the end. My DW at that point said, "I just want to be home. I want peanut butter and jelly!"

As dorisis said in post #4 I was very glad to get off of the Royal Princess. I found their customer service very poor and bordering on rude. I had four different issues with them which were not resolved on the ship. After answering their after cruise survey I did get a call from Customer Service with an offer of $50 OBC to be used within a year on a future cruise. I really doubt I will sail with Princess again unless it is a real bargain as I cruise solo and usually pay double.

We were on a Transatlantic cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Rotterdam. It was 2 yrs ago on a Sunday in May when the minister from Florida said the "World was going to end". We had 40 foot waves , the sky was black and the fire alarm went off, and we were somewhere between Newfoundland and Ireland. I wish someone could have just plucked me off that ship!

Karen