Have you ever been ready for your cruise to end?

Smokeyham

Yes we have had a couple of cruises we've been glad to get off the ship. We did a 14 day B2B on a ship that was going into drydock soon after our cruise. Won't make that mistake again. A/C probs, no hot water, mechanical issues, a fire onboard, completely disengaged crew (we could almost hear the dining steward sighing when he delivered our dinners....his contract was over and he was NOT coming back, he disliked it so much). Our room steward was a complete mess, he seemed completely incapable of getting the cabins done. The Captain's daily "message from the bridge" became the "apology from the bridge". Every day there was something else for him to apologize for.

On another cruise we had fairly awful food in the MDR, cabin problems no one wanted to fix, couldn't get our "unlimited laundry" done, and we ultimately felt like we were just in the way, y'know? Add to that some pretty bad weather, and we were ready to disembark.

It's not that I am ready for the cruise to end, but when you get to the middle of the next to last day, with packing to be done, and having to get up very early the next morning, fight for space in the buffet for breakfast, etc., etc...I am ready to be magically transported to my truck, wherever it is parked. EM

We've been cruising for over 30 years. We've enjoyed cruises with over 40-ft seas. Our favorite length to cruise is 3-4 weeks.

However, there were two cruises when we were ready, or more than ready, to disembark. One was a 2-week cruise on Oceania. Ship was wonderful, but the service and food didn't live up to the hype. The cruise when I. Could. Not. Wait. was on HAL's Eurodam. Loved the itineary, but hated the ship and LOATHED the CD. Usually CDs are take it or leave it for us. They rarely have an impact on our cruise. This guy really worked at being obnoxious.

Edited by Mary Ellen

I’m wondering if you’ve ever felt that you’re ready to get off the ship, and be done with a cruise by the time it is over or perhaps at some point during the cruise? Perhaps it wasn’t an overwhelming “can’t stand this” but more “I’m done and am looking forward to going home” feeling?

For most I expect the response will be an overwhelming “No! I wish I could stay longer,” but it would be interesting to hear from those who might feel otherwise and the reasons why.

Yes, on a P&O Azura Transatlantic. Could not wait for it to arrive at Southampton and get away from some people who just spoiled it for us and others. You bring the price down and they can afford to get on.

A cruise was never intended to be a Butlins at Sea!!!

• Like 1

On my last cruise which was 16 nights I did feel ready to go home by the end, probably by the 13-14 day mark. Nothing wrong with the cruise but I think I prefer to stick to 10-12 day cruises in the future, 14 days at a push - I just started missing my home, worrying a little about work, and also I think the dog sitter was getting annoyed with me asking for daily updates by then! If I was retired and didn't have my dog anymore I think I'd be able to relax for much longer.

Next cruise booked is 11 nights and I think that's the perfect length for me.

We learned last year on a 13 day cruise that 10 days is about all we can stand before the fun starts to wear off. That being said, it wasn't a good cruise, so a different itinerary or different ship might change that opinion.

Burt

Our first cruise was a 7 day Western Mediterranean cruise, very port intensive. We had all port days before we finally had a sea day at the end. My DW at that point said, "I just want to be home. I want peanut butter and jelly!"

When I posted this, I forgot, or maybe I wanted to forget, the end of our second cruise.

It was supposed to be a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise, but because of a hurricane, it turned into a 7 day cruise. We could not get back to Fort Lauderdale until Labor Day instead of the Saturday of Labor Day Weekend.

Now having 2 extra days of cruising was fun, but there were problems. Like everyone else I imagine, we needed new flights. Like a lot of other people, we switched to the earliest time to disembark since we no longer had an afternoon flight booked.

They called the first color, and the lounge we were sent to was soon full. They called the second and third color, and now it was not just full, but full to the point that you could not breathe. It seems that immigration was not prepared for three days worth of cruise ships all coming in at once.

They finally made an announcement, and we all thought we were finally going to get off the ship, or at least immigration was there, and at least the process would be starting. But, no, instead Royal Caribbean wanted us to know that we had one last chance to buy cruise pictures.

We finally got off and got a cab to the airport. And the airport in that situation, closed for a few days and everyone has to rebook, was also no picnic.

I’m wondering if you’ve ever felt that you’re ready to get off the ship, and be done with a cruise by the time it is over or perhaps at some point during the cruise? Perhaps it wasn’t an overwhelming “can’t stand this” but more “I’m done and am looking forward to going home” feeling?

For most I expect the response will be an overwhelming “No! I wish I could stay longer,” but it would be interesting to hear from those who might feel otherwise and the reasons why.

Nope, not even after three b2b2b cruises totaling 33 days. We wished we'd done the next cruise too for another 7 days.

My dear Andy cared when we left. He was a creature of habit and our being gone messed up his routine! but he is gone now and the other cats do not mind so much. They may not like it but they handle it much better than he did. I should have said we don't have a dog... We lost ours a few years ago and she thought we'd gone on a long vacation every time we left for the grocery store! :) Cats just want someone there, they don't seem to care who it is.

As far as wanting to get off ship, I did not care for the NCL Sun. By about day 5 I was ready to go home. Two years ago we did a 12 day Med cruise. I loved the ports but I was tired of the ship after about day 9. It was a beautiful ship with great food too, I was just tired of being on a cruise ship. we only did 2 days by land that trip. I told hubby next trip to Europe I wanted to take only a 7 day cruise and then do a week by land. Going somewhere

new is always exciting and you do get more of a feel for that when you are staying on land.

Last fall we did a 7 day California coastal cruise. All new and we loved every minute on and off ship. We also spent 3 days there post cruise. We loved that too.

We have done the Caribbean so much it is no longer exciting and there are few ports we have not seen there. Even on the best of ships, a 7 day cruise is more than enough, unless we get to several ports that are new to us.

We were on a Transatlantic cruise from Fort Lauderdale to Rotterdam. It was 2 yrs ago on a Sunday in May when the minister from Florida said the "World was going to end". We had 40 foot waves , the sky was black and the fire alarm went off, and we were somewhere between Newfoundland and Ireland. I wish someone could have just plucked me off that ship!

Karen

I can certainly see why you'd have been ready to get off that cruise!

We got 2 kittens when we retired so we were with them most of the time. 6 months later we went on a 2 week cruise and our cat sitter emailed several times that she knew they were fine but she had not seen them. On the last night my DH could not wait to get off the ship and get home to the wine kittens. I was ok until it was time to disembark and we had a long wait for our flight home.

Mary Lou

Now that we're retired, we do mostly longer cruises - the longest being a 34 day B2B. We're don't need constant entertainment, are very happy with our books and a couple of activities during the day, just sitting on a balcony or open lounge and people-watching or watching the scenery go by, maybe doing some port exploring or tours. We seem to settle into a routine after a few days that becomes very comfortable, as we get to know our shipmates and the staff. We sometimes have a bad day or two, but I can't remember ever feeling that I really wanted to get off the ship ASAP.

On the other hand, the last day of every cruise, no matter how long it has been, I'm ready to go home. I start thinking about sleeping in my own bed with my own pillow, my own 'comfort food', my garden and friends and activities at home and think "It's time to go!". As soon as we get home, I'm ready to plan the next one!

I have only gone on 7 night cruises, and not exactly ready to leave. The only thing is I usually missed my dog. Since my last cruise in October, he passed away, so my cruise in two weeks will be the first since then. Not sure how I will feel now. Always dealt with having dog sitter, etc.

I hope someday to take a little longer cruise, so not sure how that might go.

Like many others here have said, there comes a point when your fun meter pegs. It's not that you don't like the cruise or the ship, it's just that your ready to get back to "real life." For ue this happens around day 11 or 12.

We went on a 30 day cruise from San Diego to Lima and back. It had great ports and a wonderful itinerary. By day 21 or so we were ready for the cruise to end. The stateroom was just too small - we did have a balcony - but it still felt cramped. Now if we had had a large suite we might have felt differently - LOL !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been on several cruises 10 days or more and have not been ready to get off the ship. Our longest was a TA of 12 nights. I go into a mild depression on returning home and have to book a new cruise to come out of my funk. I actually think 14 nights would be a perfect length. Maybe next time.

Yes, on a P&O Azura Transatlantic. Could not wait for it to arrive at Southampton and get away from some people who just spoiled it for us and others. You bring the price down and they can afford to get on.

A cruise was never intended to be a Butlins at Sea!!!

That's the reason behind my wanting to get off our 3 night Norwegian Sky cruise. I've been on a lot of 3 nighters so I know it can be a party crowd, but this one took the cake. We called it the thug boat. An example of their behavior...people on their balconies threw things at the pilot as he boarded the pilot boat. It started with bread, but at one point, I saw a coffee mug go over. Thank goodness their aim sucked and the mug hit the water.

My wife and I actually considered taking a flight home from Nassau.

Edited by Aquahound

That's the reason behind my wanting to get off our 3 night Norwegian Sky cruise. I've been on a lot of 3 nighters so I know it can be a party crowd, but this one took the cake. We called it the thug boat. An example of their behavior...people on their balconies threw things at the pilot as he boarded the pilot boat. It started with bread, but at one point, I saw a coffee mug go over. Thank goodness their aim sucked and the mug hit the water.

We took a 4 day on the Sky in the height of summer in order to take a cruise with our daughter who teaches. Horrible tweenies running around beating on stateroom doors after midnight and throwing food all over the stairway near the buffet. so, anyway the 4 day is no better.

• Thanks 1

We went on a 30 day cruise from San Diego to Lima and back. It had great ports and a wonderful itinerary. By day 21 or so we were ready for the cruise to end. The stateroom was just too small - we did have a balcony - but it still felt cramped. Now if we had had a large suite we might have felt differently - LOL !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My worst cruise was in the Royal Suite. My best cruise (and longest) was in a porthole stateroom. I don't think cabin size is that much of a factor--unless you are talking about four people in a 150 s/f inside stateroom. That makes me shudder thinking about it.

OMG

Somebody could have been injured:eek:

Let me think, these cretins actually received the same disciplinary action as those on P&O. :rolleyes: