Tablecloths??

Which one are you referring to? I ate in 150 Central Park and Giovanni's on Oasis last year and both of those tables had tablecloths, not that it mattered. The food was good and having or not having a tablecloth would not have changed the experience.

Which one are you referring to? I ate in 150 Central Park and Giovanni's on Oasis last year and both of those tables had tablecloths, not that it mattered. The food was good and having or not having a tablecloth would not have changed the experience.

However the table cloth makes for a good substitute for the cloth napkin.

So now 2 people think I am uncivilized. So lets look a the purpose of these boards, it's to share ideas and opinions WITHOUT degrading our fellow posters. When I say no table cloth didn't change my experience its ok for you to have an opinion that a table cloth means everything to you......BUT once you throw in a derogatory term like UNCIVILIZED you now have basically said I, and my opinion are wrong but also that I am uncivilized as a person. I find some folks on this site to be very arrogant and rude......God forbid I now say I think it's ok to wear shorts in the dining room....LOL...I'd probably be burned at the stake!

Edited by tampacruiser

All the specialty on Navigator, Chops, Izumi and Giovanni's

We'll be on the Navigator for the 1st time in October - have reservations for both Giovanni's and Chops so far; disappointed to hear they don't have tablecloths. On the Allure last year, both restaurants had tablecloths - why not all ships, I wonder?

For me, it has nothing to do with being civilized or not, it has to do with the ambience I expect of a 'fine' dining experience and for me that includes tablecloths, excellent service and food presentation and of course darn good food..that's part of the lure of specialty restaurants..

We'll be on the Navigator for the 1st time in October - have reservations for both Giovanni's and Chops so far; disappointed to hear they don't have tablecloths. On the Allure last year, both restaurants had tablecloths - why not all ships, I wonder?

For me, it has nothing to do with being civilized or not, it has to do with the ambience I expect of a 'fine' dining experience and for me that includes tablecloths, excellent service and food presentation and of course darn good food..that's part of the lure of specialty restaurants..

We ate at chops on navigator and still felt we got the 'fine dining experience' despite the tableclothes....our waiter was wonderful. Sabor also didn't have tableclothes but I would probably consider that a good thing - eating chips and guac and salsa with a tablecloth seems awkward and inappropriately styled...

So now 2 people think I am uncivilized. So lets look a the purpose of these boards, it's to share ideas and opinions WITHOUT degrading our fellow posters. When I say no table cloth didn't change my experience its ok for you to have an opinion that a table cloth means everything to you......BUT once you throw in a derogatory term like UNCIVILIZED you now have basically said I, and my opinion are wrong but also that I am uncivilized as a person. I find some folks on this site to be very arrogant and rude......God forbid I now say I think it's ok to wear shorts in the dining room....LOL...I'd probably be burned at the stake!

Just wanted to let you know that I often feel the same way on these boards...both on not caring about the tablecloths and the posting approach...but it seems to be the way of these boards so I have accepted that I either need to live with it or not participate...my only advice is to pretend instead that it was written in a 'civilized' fashion and try not to take it personally ....

We loved Giovanni's had lunch there twice and also dinner, lunch is almost same menu, 4 course meal for 15 ( there was special the week we were on and they charged just 12) , was not that crazy over chops, Izumi was also very good.

Having seen several MDR tables without their tablecloths when the staff are setting up, changing configurations, etc. I can't imagine no tablecloths. Some of the tables are pretty banged up, even a few more like sheets of wood on a pedestal. I think RC would have to buy a lot of new tables!

We prefer a tablecloth or placemat and do think a table covering provides a better dining experience-no clattering of dishes or glasses on the table. And who knows how well the tables have been sanitized between diners. Even if we eat in the Windjammer, we utilized an extra napkin as our placemats.

(And just for the record, I don't believe anyone made a remark on here that someone was "uncivilized" for not having a preference for or against using a tablecloth! Touchy much?)

Again I understand they save money on this, my favorite local restaurant did this a few years back, but it would make more sense to me if mdr didn't have tablecloths and pay restaurants did.

MDR tables are only turned twice, while the upcharge venues may have 4 or more turns a night, so they save on washing tablecloths.

Just a thought.

So many cruisers these days have the attitude, "It's my vacation and I'll darn well do what I please and wear what I please."

I see shorts in the specialty restaurants now.

Why should Royal Caribbean care about the "ambience" when their clientele clearly do not?

:rolleyes:

Having seen several MDR tables without their tablecloths when the staff are setting up, changing configurations, etc. I can't imagine no tablecloths. Some of the tables are pretty banged up, even a few more like sheets of wood on a pedestal. I think RC would have to buy a lot of new tables!

Exactly. Tablecloths cover a cruddy table! If you have just the table showing, it's going to be a NICE table. So to me, if I see a tablecloth, I figure the tables are cheap and gross.

Again I understand they save money on this, my favorite local restaurant did this a few years back, but it would make more sense to me if mdr didn't have tablecloths and pay restaurants did.
Don't you have something more pressing to worry about?....:rolleyes: