speciality dinning no reservation question

Islandbouy

We are on the Sun in December this year. We have the sdp this trip for 4 dinners

We don't like to plan our dinner times or days in advance. Any problems with making reservations or walk up the day we would like to eat at these restaurants?

We are flexible on dining times, later the better.

Or should we just make reservations in advance and change once were aboard?

Thanks

We are on the Sun in December this year. We have the sdp this trip for 4 dinners

We don't like to plan our dinner times or days in advance. Any problems with making reservations or walk up the day we would like to eat at these restaurants?

Thanks

I only do walk-up , no problem's. :halo:

Thanks

You might want to make reservations each day at the Restaurant Reservation Desk. Depending on what time you want to eat, you may be able to just walk up to the Hostess Desk at each restaurant each evening. There might be a bit of a wait however.

Thanks

Late dinners will probably be available. Later in the cruise, when people have credits but few nights left, may become hard or impossible to walk up.

I am often amazed that folks know what time and what day they will eat at each restaurant months in advance... just a chuckle... that's all.

everyday at home i eat dinner around the same time. so for me, it was easier to book the reservations months ahead

Based on posts on here we made reservations ahead online as place holders. We figured we could change them when we got on the ship.

We were glad to have them. By day 3 of a 10 day cruise nearly every reservation time for the remainder of the cruise was booked up. The only times left were at 9pm or later.

I don't know how walk ups fared but reservations were impossible go get at that point. Heard people complaining whenever we walked by the reservation desk.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually walk-ups tend to do pretty well as there are a number of no shows. Every reservation time may be taken but not all of those people will actually show up. I can't count the number of times we have dined in the specialty restaurants and have seen several empty tables. Yet you check the reservation boards that are located around the ship and they show no availability. What may work better is if there is one or two restaurants that you absolutely don't want to miss, make those reservations in advance. For the other two, do a walk-up. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Being a 15 day cruise you should be fine. If it was 7 I would say book the 4 days and change them if you wish.

On the larger ships I have witnessed many unhappy cruisers complaining that they could not get a decent reservation at the special restaurants. But like I said it was always on the 7 day cruise.

Since it is a 15-day cruise and you are flexible in your dining times, you should be fine in walking up or doing a reservation for a restaurant the night before for the next day. Those with a 7 day cruise usually reserve in advance for their 3 free specialty dining meal as some of the popular restaurants are all booked up during the perk hour of dining.

I'm currently on a 15 day cruise and availability has generally been very good every night, even for the likes of Teppenyaki.

We are now 3 days from the end of the cruise and that is changing, so if you will want to use your credits towards the end of the cruise then book those days.

Early on you should be fine, but don't rely on it, so if you know you want something at a certain time then book it.

I am often amazed that folks know what time and what day they will eat at each restaurant months in advance... just a chuckle... that's all.

You say this often and, no offence meant, I totally disagree.

I very rarely have any strong opinion on exactly what type of food I need of an evening, or when to have it. If I'm on a cruise I will have a few different meals booked, but I really don't care which night I will have which one. I have never thought "I've got Cagneys booked tonight, but I really need Le Bistro instead". I know I've got Le Bistro booked at some point during the cruise and that's just fine.

I like to get the bookings done and then we just go with them and the number of times I've wished I had my bookings in anther order is exactly zero.

Of course, your preference is different, and I respect that, but I think that you would be surprised as to how many people aren't as fussed as you are about exactly where they will be eating on any given night.

Again, not criticising your preferences, just stating the other point of view.

In our experience we too find that the closer to the end of the cruise, the harder it gets but we've found that the latest times are the last to go. With a few days left We were only getting offered 9pm. It also differs with the ship too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You say this often and, no offence meant, I totally disagree.

I very rarely have any strong opinion on exactly what type of food I need of an evening, or when to have it. If I'm on a cruise I will have a few different meals booked, but I really don't care which night I will have which one. I have never thought "I've got Cagneys booked tonight, but I really need Le Bistro instead". I know I've got Le Bistro booked at some point during the cruise and that's just fine.

I like to get the bookings done and then we just go with them and the number of times I've wished I had my bookings in anther order is exactly zero.

Of course, your preference is different, and I respect that, but I think that you would be surprised as to how many people aren't as fussed as you are about exactly where they will be eating on any given night.

Again, not criticising your preferences, just stating the other point of view.

I agree with you on this. I have also found on two Breakaway to Bermuda cruises that walk up availability was slim and we were glad to have reservations in advance. I think reservations are probably less necessary if you're only a party of two - but if you are 4 or 6 it becomes more necessary to have them.

• 4 weeks later...

I phoned to get reservations for our 3 comp specialty dinning and could only get 9 pm and 9:30

I am assuming as so many of these were given away that maybe they blocked freebies at later times. We would like to see later shows which now is impossible on those 3 nights. We are planning on not using them and buying ones if we can get earlier esp on the 9th which is our 52nd Anniversary.

Very disappointing

I phoned to get reservations for our 3 comp specialty dinning and could only get 9 pm and 9:30

I am assuming as so many of these were given away that maybe they blocked freebies at later times. We would like to see later shows which now is impossible on those 3 nights. We are planning on not using them and buying ones if we can get earlier esp on the 9th which is our 52nd Anniversary.

Very disappointing

It's because the earlier times are booked, not because you got the plan for free. Just book when you get onboard, they hold some back.

Very disappointing

It may also be the size of the party. I have found that going from 3 to 4 can open up more times.

Very disappointing

NCL holds a large number of tables for onboard booking. If you did not book exactly 90 days prior to your cruise (100 days if you are in a suite), the prebooks are sold out.

On embarkation day, quickly, make your reservations. The touch screen kiosks in the public areas are the easiest.

Teppanyaki is the most popular. Cagneys second most popular. Both will quickly sell out of prime time dining. If you are in a suite, your concierge will be able to sneak you in (oversell the restaurant) a lot of the time.

• 1 month later...