Explorer of the Seas VS Norwegian Sun?

globe9

The wife and I will be booking an Alaskan cruise next May. We're looking at RCCL Explorer of the Seas and NCL's Norwegian Sun. The EOS is about $500 less total for an Oceanview cabin, but NCL's price includes free drink package and either free specialty dining or $50 off cruise excursions in each port. I'm thinking with those perks the $500 more may be worth it.

Now it comes down to which ship is considered better. Does one feel crowded? We usually eat in the casual dining room/buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner. Is one's layout better than the other?

I've sailed both RCCL and NCL in the past, but it was years ago. Lately we've done Carnival as it was easy to do from Nola.

Any opinions? Which would you choose? We're an early 40's couple with no children. Will mostly be reading/scenery watching while on sea days. Not going to be surfing or rock climbing. Which ship has better cabins? Layout etc?

When it comes to the actual ships, there is no comparison. I would choose Explorer without any hesitation over Sun.

For me to choose Sun over Explorer, Sun would have to have a much better itinerary, and I do mean MUCH better.

When factoring prices, don't forget to consider the mandatory gratuities on the so-called "free" NCL perks.

Haven't been on RCCL for years but have been on the Sun. If you go to the MDRs you'll be o.k. but the buffet on the Sun is small. There is the Great Outdoors area to sit in as well as Moderno is used for breakfast and lunch, but the actual buffet area is small with few selections.

The wife and I will be booking an Alaskan cruise next May. We're looking at RCCL Explorer of the Seas and NCL's Norwegian Sun. The EOS is about $500 less total for an Oceanview cabin, but NCL's price includes free drink package and either free specialty dining or $50 off cruise excursions in each port. I'm thinking with those perks the $500 more may be worth it.

Now it comes down to which ship is considered better. Does one feel crowded? We usually eat in the casual dining room/buffet for breakfast lunch and dinner. Is one's layout better than the other?

I've sailed both RCCL and NCL in the past, but it was years ago. Lately we've done Carnival as it was easy to do from Nola.

Any opinions? Which would you choose? We're an early 40's couple with no children. Will mostly be reading/scenery watching while on sea days. Not going to be surfing or rock climbing. Which ship has better cabins? Layout etc?

We have cruised on both ships. Explorer is twice the size of the Sun, Approximately 4000 pax versus 2000 passengers.

If you are interested in on board activities, go for the Explorer.

if you want a quiet relaxing cruise, go for the Sun.

If you are more concerned about the price do the math. Depends on how much you drink and how much you want to eat in the Speciality Restaurants.

Another consideration is that the Sun does one way 7 day cruises from Vancouver to Alaska, and the next 7 day trip is back to Vancouver. Not sure about the Explorer itinerary. Look at your airfare prices as well.

With that being said, we cruised on the Sun in Alaska, and on the Explorer on the Caribbean.

Don't forget the SUN has fantastic Observation Lounge on Deck 12 forward!

I'm also inclined to say that the SUN has good outside deck spaces for viewing.

Not sure about the EOTS.

We would rather do Alaska on ships with 2000 or less people.

Don't forget the SUN has fantastic Observation Lounge on Deck 12 forward!

I'm also inclined to say that the SUN has good outside deck spaces for viewing.

Not sure about the EOTS.

Explorer has the Viking Crown Lounge, with is the lounge mid ship at the top. The views are almost 360 from that lounge.

You can also walk out to the bow 24/7 on Explorer.

enhance

For me- no question : The Sun

Much smaller ship- perfect for just relaxing. Freestyle cruising: do as little or as much as you wish. Eat whenever you wish in whatever restaurant each evening. Big outdoor space for meals off the buffet. perfect place to take sunrise or sunset pictures.

Enjoy

We where on EOS in Feb (south pacific) and speaking to concierge he was saying in his opinion (he has been on explorer for a while) he said Alaska would be better in a smaller ship. We loved explorer and would book it in a heart beat if the option arises in the future.

We did a northbound one way from Vancouver to Seward last September on the Sun. We had an aft balcony. That was the way to go. Good cruise and we saw Glacier Bay. Does Explorer to Glacier Bay?

Here is my review of the cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=547125&et_cid=2764671&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

We are booked on Explorer TransPacific from Sydney to Seattle April 2018. It is a large ship, but has a lot of good reviews.

Passenger space ratio: Ship tonnage divided by max. passengers. The higher the number, the less crowded it feels aboard ship. EOS is 138194 GT carries 3938 passengers all beds full ratio 35, Sun 78309 GT carries 2323 passengers all beds full ratio 33. Gross ton is 100 cubic feet. So on Sun a passenger has 3300 cubic feet of space, theoretically, to themselves. The EOS has a little more. That said, the EOS is one of my favorite cruise ships. I would personally chose EOS if the itineraries were the same or close. Explorer does have a lot of viewing areas, both inside and outside.

I personally think the Explorer has the absolute WORST itinerary to Alaska. Her only Alaskan ports are Juneau and Skagway, and her glacier viewing is at the oft missed Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier. While the amenities are great she is a very inward focused ship with very little connection to the scenic beauty that abounds. I would choose ANY other ship on any other itinerary before Explorer in Alaska.

Having cruised both the Explorer of the Seas and Norwegian Sun, I can say that both ships have their strong points but overall Explorer of the Seas is a much better experience and value.

Norwegian's "Free" Promotions should not determine what ship you choose to sail if you can get a better deal on Royal Caribbean for $500 less. Be aware that you are responsible to pay for the gratuities up front for the specialty restaurant and drink package which makes the "free promotions" adding to the cost of your trip.

If you choose the drink package, you must pay $100 per person for the gratuities so you will add another $200 to your invoice. Both guests have to get this package and pay for the gratuities even if the other person doesn't drink.

If you choose the specialty dining you will pay another $13 per person to your invoice. I think this is always the best value to choose.

If you choose the shore excursions, it is $50 credit each port for 1 person. Alaska excursions are pretty pricey, so it is more of a discount.

The free internet is not unlimited and it is 250 minutes free on a slower connection. The internet on the NCL Sun was faster at sea then in port.

So keep in mind depending on what you choose, these free promotions add to the cost of the cruise.

As far as comparing the ships, on the Explorer of the Seas you will have much better entertainment and facilities. The Norwegian Sun is a smaller ship with standard offerings meaning no "bells and whistles".

As far as the Ports of call, my personal preference is definitely Victoria over Ketchikan.

Food wise, if you have the specialty dining, NCL is better. The food quality is better on NCL in the main dining room. However, the menu is the same throughout the cruise with 2 substitutions for entree and appetizers each day. If you buy a specialty dining package on Royal Caribbean, it is a better value than paying each restaurant separately.

Overall, Explorer of the Seas is a much better option, especially for the price. Just be aware of the gratuity fees with the promotions as it does add to the cost of the cruise on NCL

Edited by tx121

I personally think the Explorer has the absolute WORST itinerary to Alaska. Her only Alaskan ports are Juneau and Skagway, and her glacier viewing is at the oft missed Tracy Arm Fjord/Sawyer Glacier. While the amenities are great she is a very inward focused ship with very little connection to the scenic beauty that abounds. I would choose ANY other ship on any other itinerary before Explorer in Alaska.

If you compare the Explorer to the Sun, the views are about the same except in the atrium area where there are windows that view the outside on deck 6. Both ships have a wrap around promenade on the outer decks on deck 5/6. On the Explorer of the Seas you can go to the front of the ship on the helicopter pad and get amazing views while sailing through the Fjords and glaciers. And also of course the top decks on both ships provide viewing areas. The viking crown area on the top of the Explorer also provides a birds eye view with floor to ceiling windows.

Edited by tx121