Gold by the inch

BandM

Thinking about getting a necklace and bracelet made while on the ship. Has anyone bought from here, what was your experience?

its like using a $50 bill to wipe your butt. total waste of money.

seriously, it's cheap, fake gold( at best it is gold plated) that rubs off in a few wearings and turns your skin green.

you can get better quality and prices locally at a mid range jewelry store.

I have 6 or 7 pieces of it and love it. When ever it gets worn they replace it for free. There is never a hassle...just either take it to them on the ship or mail it to them and they replace the piece. Have replaced all mine.

I particularly like it because I don't have to worry about my real gold jewelry....leave it at home.

seriously, it's cheap, fake gold( at best it is gold plated) that rubs off in a few wearings and turns your skin green.

Well it is not fake, but certainly is a low K gold plated metal. But based on the cost of gold per ounce and the cost per inch of this stuff, it would be hard to imagine anyone would expect it to be anything other than inexpensive gold plated costume jewelry.

But agree - and it is what it is and you get what you pay for.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have 6 or 7 pieces of it and love it. When ever it gets worn they replace it for free. There is never a hassle...just either take it to them on the ship or mail it to them and they replace the piece. Have replaced all mine.

I particularly like it because I don't have to worry about my real gold jewelry....leave it at home.

It's junk that's why they replace it.

While I certainly agree that the quality of th jewelry is not the best by any means I have purchased a small necklace years ago and a wrist bracelet about 5 years ago. By some miracle the necklace rarely comes off and has stayed reasonably well for almost 15 years. The bracelet's clasp has worn down to the metal a few times, but every time we cruise I bring it back with the receipt and get a new one. I don't wear it that often but it does look nice when I do.

That being said please don't purchase anything thinking you are making any sort of investment. :rolleyes:

It lasted well and looked good several years later. Sadly, the clasp broke.

They will replace the clasp. Probably free if you have the receipt but only a buck or two if you don't. My BF has a gold chain he wears (real gold, purchased elsewhere) and mid-cruise one time the clasp broke. We went to the gold-by-the-inch place and asked if they could put a new clasp on. I think it was only $2 to fix. And who cares if it wasn't real gold; it was just the clasp in back, his original chain still looks great.

I have several bracelets that I love. Of course, I know that they are not 14 K gold at the price. I have a very small wrist and love that I only have to pay for what I need. Otherwise, by the time a jewelry store removes the excess for me, I have lost nearly half the bracelet. I wear my silver one all the time and get compliments on it - never had a problem.

Granted, I am not looking for high end jewelry; it gets banged around too much and I would live in fear of losing it.

I've bought several items and had good luck with them. I had lost my 24K anklet and got a by-the-inch one. It has lasted quite a while and still looks good. The link to the clasp broke and was replaced instantly on another RCL ship even without a receipt. I also have their chain necklace. I wear the by-the-inch stuff when traveling so I don't worry about the good stuff breaking, getting stolen or lost.

No one expect these items to be real at the price but they are fun to buy as they have a variety of styles. You can change the look for a small price. It is costume jewelry and should be considered just that.