A random tip about cameras and vacations

I just felt like sharing my tip Although I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before, it never hurts to repeat it.

Before you start out on your vacation....whether it's a regular camera, an underwater camera, or even a disposable camera, the first picture should always be a picture of something you've written (or typed) with your name, address, phone number, and email address just incase you lose it and a good samaritan finds it. I've seen several posts on here asking if we knew the people in the picture or if anyone found a camera on such and such a cruise. You may want to include the cruise you are sailing on as well.

Happy Cruising!!

I permanently have my email address and phone number (with international dialling code) saved in multiple formats on the camera itself - a picture of the information, and both a plain text file and a Word doc with the same info saved on the memory card, along with a note asking to at least email me the pictures (but ideally get in touch to return the camera). Depending on where I'm traveling, I add other info as needs be.

Better yet, create a slide in PowerPoint and save it as a .jpg. Name it so that it will be the first item shown in the list of pictures (also consider, changing the date on your computer before saving it so that it's the first in date order as well). Name it something conspicuous such as aaaIF-FOUND-PLEASE-READ.jpg, or aaOWNER-INFO.jpg etc. You might also include a Word file or PDF file on the card with more detailed information, itinerary, emergency contacts, etc.

I tried creating a file in photoshop, saving it as a .jpg and put it on the memory card in the same folder where the photos were stored and my camera couldn't display it for some reason. I ended up just taking a photo of my computer screen instead. :rolleyes:

These are all good ideas, but here's another option, or an added protection suggestion. Unless your camera is very small, see if you can find a spot to stick a return address label (the ones you'd use on an envelope). I use the very small ones that often come free from charities asking for donations. I stick them on the back of my phone, my Kindle, everywhere I can find a spot. If your camera is too small, at least put one on your camera bag.

Great idea!

Contact details may be a good idea, but I would not include my address, which is an empty house while I am on vacation. Very unlikely that anything would happen, but I don't want strangers knowing that.

Previously, I have used my work address on my luggage and things of that sort. Things would get back to me, but not advertising an empty house.

I lost my camera in Key West. I was frantic! I lost all hope on finding it until we were on the drive home from port & my sister was checking her FB. Our FBs are locked down (me because of abusive ex husband & my sister is a teacher) but we have a 2nd cousin that shares our last name who sent a message to my sister asking if she'd lost a camera. Happily I was reunited with my camera a few weeks later! The person found us because my mom was wearing a shirt in Key West with our last name on it. Now I always take a photo of my name, address, email and phone #.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I decided to do that after being at airports and seeing all the luggage with what were clearly other people's home addresses boldly displayed. That equates to a sign saying "were going on vacation, burglarize our home."

I was at a police-led home security seminar in my community a couple of years ago and the officers speaking said when at all possible, do not give out or display your home address.

I just felt like sharing my tip Although I'm sure it's been mentioned on here before, it never hurts to repeat it.

Before you start out on your vacation....whether it's a regular camera, an underwater camera, or even a disposable camera, the first picture should always be a picture of something you've written (or typed) with your name, address, phone number, and email address just incase you lose it and a good samaritan finds it. I've seen several posts on here asking if we knew the people in the picture or if anyone found a camera on such and such a cruise. You may want to include the cruise you are sailing on as well.

Happy Cruising!!

What a fantastic suggestion, and I would NEVER have thought of anything such as that. I'll need to remember to use a fresh memory card, so that the first photo that someone sees is my info. I have a habit of using the same card for every vacation until it's full.

You may want to be careful about using your address since that might alert someone that you are *not* home. I also put a lock code on my phone while traveling since it has so much info in it. It's inconvenient, but I think necessary. I've heard rumors that eventually phones will know if they are home or not (GPS) and not require the lock code while at home (just while out). That would be nice.

Tom

On a ship I always put the cabin number from our luggage tags on the bottom of the camera. Back in the day when we got stickers I would just put the cabin number part on it. Now I just tape it on. I left it in the theater one night and got it back within a couple hours. :D

Found a memory card on the sidewalk in the Wisconsin Dells. Has pictures of a family with family reunion shirts on but still no success in finding the owner. I was able to figure out their last name is Friesen & someone went to high school in Owatonna, MN. I have tried facebook & google but still unable to come up with someone that responds to my emails. :( There are vacation pictures, someone in the hospital, birthday pictures and fun vacation photos too. Still sitting on my desk and hopefully I find them some day.

BonVoyage

Dawna

On a ship I always put the cabin number from our luggage tags on the bottom of the camera. Back in the day when we got stickers I would just put the cabin number part on it. Now I just tape it on. I left it in the theater one night and got it back within a couple hours. :D

Found a memory card on the sidewalk in the Wisconsin Dells. Has pictures of a family with family reunion shirts on but still no success in finding the owner. I was able to figure out their last name is Friesen & someone went to high school in Owatonna, MN. I have tried facebook & google but still unable to come up with someone that responds to my emails. :( There are vacation pictures, someone in the hospital, birthday pictures and fun vacation photos too. Still sitting on my desk and hopefully I find them some day.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Please check this site out - http://www.camerafound.com/

Just 4 Simple Steps to reunite a Lost or Found Camera!

We hope you find this website useful and please spread the word!!! The more people who know about this website the better your chances will be!

Please follow all of the simple steps below, and click on each link for more detailed instructions.

Contact details may be a good idea, but I would not include my address, which is an empty house while I am on vacation. Very unlikely that anything would happen, but I don't want strangers knowing that.

Name, cellphone and email address more likely to be stable than my address, and getting in actual contact with me is more useful than blindly shipping something anyway. Maybe I'm still near where the thing was lost and can come get it, and save everybody postage.

I was at a police-led home security seminar in my community a couple of years ago and the officers speaking said when at all possible, do not give out or display your home address.
Excellent point.

That is why so many people use a PO Box as the address on their driver's license instead of their home address.

At security seminars it is frequently pointed out to women that if their purse should be lost or stolen, they don't want a stranger to have their home address and the keys to their house.

Many people will show a driver's license as ID at stores or other places where you should never give a total stranger access to your home address.

At some high school and even college orientations, this is something that gets pointed out to young women in particular.

I have even seen warning signs at the locker rooms of gyms where someone had broken into lockers where people had locked up their keys along with ID that had their home address.

In a similar vein (protecting your home address), I had someone point out to me that it's not a great idea to put your home address in your car's GPS - especially using the "Go Home" button. If someone steals your car, they hit Go Home, and are taken straight to your house...the garage door opener will then give them easy access.

Instead, put in the address of a nearby business.

Mary

Happy Cruising!!

Brilliant tip

Archived