Asked Room Number after Seated in Anytime Dining

ROWSE

We just recently returned from an Alaskan cruise on the Ruby Princess, and we were asked several times what our room number was when being served a meal in the dining rooms. We had Anytime Dining, but it seems like we were asked at breakfast and lunch also in the dining room.

Does anyone know what that was about. I don't remember ever being asked that after we sat down. There had been times in the past we were asked at the door of Anytime Dining before we sat down, but this was a first for this.

Is this happening on other Princess ships too?

I'm not sure about breakfast and lunch, but I have heard they are asking at dinner to be sure Traditional Diners and not coming to dinner at the Anytime restaurant.

This would be the case if asked at the door but only at dinner. They would have no reason to do so at breakfast or lunch and certainly not at the table.

They have been doing this for years. I don't think everyone but some.

Keith,

That is interesting to hear, this is the first time we have had it happen at the table instead of the door to Anytime Dining.

Keith,

That is interesting to hear, this is the first time we have had it happen at the table instead of the door to Anytime Dining.

I know I think some may have never experienced it.

We have had both the door and the table

I can say I remember a cruise in 2009 which they did at the table because we had family with us and I thought it was strange but never bothered to ask anyone about it. But the majority of the time we are not asked.

We were told on the Grand in 2014 that they needed to know the room numbers in case there was a complaint. We have only been asked constantly on the Grand. Sporadically on the Royal.

Cheers, Denise

Edited by dchip
Auto correct!

Asked at the door of 'Anytime Dining' to check that you are a anytime diner by one of the head Waiters but never at the table for security reasons.That is why the room number no longer is displayed on the front of the card.

Asked at the door of 'Anytime Dining' to check that you are a anytime diner by one of the head Waiters but never at the table for security reasons.That is why the room number no longer is displayed on the front of the card.

A bunch of people have said they were asked at the table. Your cabin number is readily available with one swipe anyway. Security?

A bunch of people have said they were asked at the table. Your cabin number is readily available with one swipe anyway. Security?

OK if you loose your key card no one will be able to access your cabin because the cabin number is no longer on that card.

If you order a payable product in the dining room the waiter takes your key card with him to the bar and the bar attendant swipes the card.Receipt and key card handed to waiter with purchase.Only then will the waiter have your cabin number written on the receipt which he returns to your table for you to sign. There is no reason what so ever that your waiter should ever ask for your cabin number,especially if you are not ordering a payable product.I never give my cabin number out if asked by the waiter at the table there is no reason for it.At the entrance to an 'Anytime Dining room, for dinner I would give it to the Head Waiter at the door.

I have clarified this information with Princess .

We have been asked so sporadically that we assume that it is, as Pam suggests, data gathering. I think they ask just often enough to glean what they need to. Pretty soon we will all be wearing "Magic Bands" wherever we go on vacation and the RFID chips will collect whatever data is needed! ;)

OK if you loose your key card no one will be able to access your cabin because the cabin number is no longer on that card.

If you order a payable product in the dining room the waiter takes your key card with him to the bar and the bar attendant swipes the card.Receipt and key card handed to waiter with purchase.Only then will the waiter have your cabin number written on the receipt which he returns to your table for you to sign. There is no reason what so ever that your waiter should ever ask for your cabin number,especially if you are not ordering a payable product.I never give my cabin number out if asked by the waiter at the table there is no reason for it.At the entrance to an 'Anytime Dining room, for dinner I would give it to the Head Waiter at the door.

I have clarified this information with Princess .

Of course there is and its done all the time.

Every crew member is not after you.