Joining ship mid cruise?

Bertie100

As we are often in the area of Valencia, Spain. We wonder if cruise lines allow one to join a cruise at a stop off location and continue around until that location is reached again? Does anyone have experience of this as opposed to joining at the advertised departure point?

Thank you in advance

Bertie100

As we are often in the area of Valencia, Spain. We wonder if cruise lines allow one to join a cruise at a stop off location and continue around until that location is reached again? Does anyone have experience of this as opposed to joining at the advertised departure point?

Thank you in advance

Bertie100

You'd have to contact the specific cruiseline to find out for sure. But, my best guess, probably. BUT, you will have to pay for 2 cruises that way - the first cruise that you join midway to the end, and then the second cruise from the beginning to where you would disembark midway.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

MSC has cruises (on the Splendida) that originate in Valencia. Ibero and Pullmantur have a few, also, but not as many as MSC.

Edited by Scrapnana

MSC has cruises (on the Splendida) that originate in Valencia. Ibero and Pullmantur have a few, also, but not as many as MSC.

Agreed. You can join MSC cruises at almost every stop. Valencia was one of the stops of our tour with the Orchestra and a decent sized group boarded there.

An NCL winter cruise we were on from Barcelona, took on passengers in Rome, and I think they were doing the same in Malta.

But......where did those passengers disembark? The OP wants to get on mid-cruise and stay on until the ship gets back to where they got on.

Edited by iheartbda

But......where did those passengers disembark? The OP wants to get on mid-cruise and stay on until the ship gets back to where they got on.

I was about to write this question myself? And I would like to know the answer for a friend who isn't a member here at CC.

NCL Jade was doing winter cruises from Barcelona, round the W. Med via Rome, to Egypt and back via Malta. The passengers would get on at their port, and stay on board until the next circuit was done.

This is the same with MSC and Costa cruises which do the same circular tours every week/fortnight. Do you remember the awfulness of the Costa Concordia, when some passengers had just embarked in Rome and hadn't had a muster drill? Many others were due to leave at Savona the next day, and would have had their muster the week before.

Next year, there's a P&O ship which will take 2 weeks to go from Savona to Venice and back....you can book from either port, and stay for one week or the full fortnight. I think it's becomeing fairly common in the Med.

Hope the OP can find something! ;)

• 1 year later...

Thank you all for your replies. I have found that often the UK website for the cruise lines anly allowes me to board a ship where it wants me to but a local Spanish web site for the same cruise line will allow embarcation and dis embarcation at many different ports. Another interesting point is that there seems to be a price difference depending on the website that is used!

I hope this helps someone.

Bertie100

Thank you all for your replies. I have found that often the UK website for the cruise lines anly allowes me to board a ship where it wants me to but a local Spanish web site for the same cruise line will allow embarcation and dis embarcation at many different ports. Another interesting point is that there seems to be a price difference depending on the website that is used!

I hope this helps someone.

Bertie100

Happy it seems you will be able to design your cruise the way you want.

Enjoy! :)

Our TA said that this happened on a Costa cruise which by the way he totally disliked. His comment was that it was the worse cruise he has ever taken.

He called the cruise a Costa Bus Cruise as some passengers got on and some passengers got off at every port. They even changed captains half way through the cruise.

DON

You can board part way through on any cruise and finish with everyone else but for certain cruises you can start part way through and do a week to mid way through next

Royal do this in the med on grandeur and splendor but is not available at every

Port

It is a two port turn around only

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would check MSC because on my cruise next month, MSC is taking on passengers for 7 day cruises from 3/4 of my stops. Zeebruges, Amsterdam, and Hamburg while I get on at Southampton.

Because of this, they only offered GTY for inside but I got assigned an aft balcony. I guess if all the insides are booked by the time the ship reaches your port, you get the next available upgrade.:)

I do not know what the answer is. I do know that several years back a couple at our dinner table boarded day 2 in Le Harve France so they could do a pre-cruise in Paris. Le Harve was the next day from Southampton embarkation. On another cruise a man needed to get home for business and he left his wife in Villefrance to fly home. This was last minute. Villefrance is a tender port between Nice and Monaco and this was 2 days before debarkation in Barcelona. These were both RCCL ships.

Barcelona is an active cruise port. Can you take a train there. In the past I've seen cruises that begin and end in Barcelona.

I would take the advice of others to check with the cruise line about whether this is doable and how much additional it would cost you.

This is incorrect. You can't board "part way through" on any cruise.

Having managed over 30 cruise ships over the past 3 decades, I have had thousands of passengers joining my ships "part way through" the cruise. Some had missed the ship at the turnaround port, some had been medically disembarked and then returned, some had been unable to join the ship on the date of the turnaround, some had the same challenge as the OP on this thread.

Despite cabotage laws and other challenges, joining mid-cruise is possible more often than not.

I meet a lady on the promenade deck in Bermuda who bought a cruise with her family (husband and kids ) .

She had flown to Bermuda and meet them at the dock. She only stayed on the ship when it was docked .

She said she was flying home once the ship and family sailed .:)

This is incorrect. You can't board "part way through" on any cruise.

You can - sometimes.

I read the post I was responding to to read "any" as in all, and my answer was not clear. Yes, you can board some cruises after they've started, but I meant you can't board "all" cruises this way,

Edited by 6rugrats

I read the post I was responding to to read "any" as in all, and my answer was not clear. Yes, you can board some cruises after they've started, but I meant you can't board "all" cruises this way,

Yes, that is correct. I only met one couple who did this on a HAL cruise from San Diego through the Panama Canal to Fort Lauderdale. They joined the ship in Huatulco on the Mexican coast where they had spent the winter. They had to pay for the entire cruise, however.

You can board part way through on any cruise and finish with everyone else but for certain cruises you can start part way through and do a week to mid way through next

Royal do this in the med on grandeur and splendor but is not available at every

Port

It is a two port turn around only

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Huh?