Angry, No. Disappointed, Yes!

movie buff

Gee, I should get my cake and eat it too............I want the cabin I want in the location I want in the category I want for the cheapest price with every perk they ever offered! But I'm a shareholder and business is business and I would like them to stay in business.

Sorry, just get tired of the whinning!

I'm actually surprised X allowed OP to downgrade the cabin post final payment.

But as the all-in 123 is for those who sail in a concierge or better cabin, clearly those perks can't follow to a FV.

Just like if one books a Veranda GTY and gets assigned to a Suite, they still only get Captain's Club points for the Veranda, as the rules say you get points based on what you paid for. In the OP's case, the rules say the all-in is for sailing in Concierge and better,

Edited by cle-guy

Hmmm...I transferred our booking from =X= to a TA yesterday. Not within final payment, so she had me cancel the original booking, and she rebooked at a lower rate and with a higher balcony category on the same cruise. I was able to keep all three "Go" perks.

Is this a european sailing? If so there is still an all-in perk program running on those cruses. Also applies still to concierge and better bookings.

SO you didn't "keep" all 3 perks from the prior reservation, you get them now as they are part of the "Spring into Savings" program.

Businesses have sales all the time and only put a limited amount of their inventory up for sale at promotional rates

A cruise line is NOT going to say "sorry, we have a concierge cabin available, but you can't book it until the promotion ends", because they would take a chance on that cabin remaining EMPTY.

It's really just common sense. A cruise line does NOT want to sail with empty cabins, and they would sell them at a rock-bottom rate if they had to. They know that they will likely get the revenue back in other ways.

Is this a european sailing? If so there is still an all-in perk program running on those cruses. Also applies still to concierge and better bookings.

SO you didn't "keep" all 3 perks from the prior reservation, you get them now as they are part of the "Spring into Savings" program.

Two unlikely (or not) things to consider if you are creating a new booking:

1. The TA or Celebrity may charge a cancellation fee for the old reservation since you are beyond final payment date.

2. If someone has wait listed the cabin you may lose it as soon as you cancel.

Check the risks/costs before you cancel and rebook.

Just like if one books a Veranda GTY and gets assigned to a Suite, they still only get Captain's Club points for the Veranda, as the rules say you get points based on what you paid for. In the OP's case, the rules say the all-in is for sailing in Concierge and better,

Then following those rules where Captain's Club points are calculated by category paid, should the OP expect to accrue CC points based on paying for Concierge C1 even though they sailed in FV?

Seems like a contradiction to get CC points based on category paid while 123 perks aren't likewise determined by category paid but rather category sailed??

Then following those rules where Captain's Club points are calculated by category paid, should the OP expect to accrue CC points based on paying for Concierge C1 even though they sailed in FV?

Seems like a contradiction to get CC points based on category paid while 123 perks aren't likewise determined by category paid but rather category sailed??

For our March 2014 sailing we paid for C1 but only received points for standard balcony. As stated earlier, we lost 14 CC points in the switch and did not get a cost adjustment. Therefore, not so certain there is a disparity. There are considerations in considering this particular downgrade, and upgrades of any sort if a loss in perks is involved.

Yes, I would say this should be the case. They should get Concierge points. Post sailing if they do not, they should write captains club and get them added. It's an odd circumstance, and I'd expect follow up is required. As a solo traveler, I find I nearly always have to follow up to get my double points as a solo.

It's not a contradiction if the rules are spelled out as they in fact are.

Edited by cle-guy

On Monday I emailed Celebrity requesting that they consider reinstating the other two perks of the 123 GO on our booking since we had paid for Concierge Category C1.

Today I received both a voice mail and a follow-up email stating they agreed and were reinstating $300 OBC and prepaid gratuities along with the Classic Beverage package. The gentleman who left the voice mail even said "We agree that because you are paying for Concierge category you are entitled to all three amenities of the promotion".

I hope this info is helpful to anyone else reading who finds themselves in a similar situation to ours (paying for a higher category than you are sailing).

Edited by movie buff

On Monday I emailed Celebrity requesting that they consider reinstating the other two perks of the 123 GO on our booking since we had paid for Concierge Category C1.

Today I received both a voice mail and a follow-up email stating they agreed and were reinstating $300 OBC and prepaid gratuities along with the Classic Beverage package. The gentleman who left the voice mail even said "We agree that because you are paying for Concierge category you are entitled to all three amenities of the promotion".

I hope this info is helpful to anyone else reading who finds themselves in a similar situation to ours (paying for a higher category than you are sailing).

Good for you!

This has been noted in some prior posts:

I was on the Connie TA last November that was supposed to leave from Civitavecchia. The night before we were to leave the Captain was informed that due to weather the ship could not dock there and needed to go to Naples. Celebrity chartered 91 buses to transport disembarking passengers to FCO and bring embarking passengers to Naples to meet the ship. Those who had paid for transportation received a full refund.

We had that same experience. It was amazing how X was able to find that many good buses on such short notice. Orator, we dined in Acqua and on several occasions we sat next to a very affable, distinguished looking Zenith couple, possibly Canadians. He wore, I believe, a Tissot watch. Was that you? Or were you the couple seated with the aforementioned people one night as we stopped and briefly chatted? Either way, I wish I had inquired as to who you were, as you have provided such good information over the years. There were only two Zenith couples on board, so I know we've met in passing at least.

We had that same experience. It was amazing how X was able to find that many good buses on such short notice. Orator, we dined in Acqua and on several occasions we sat next to a very affable, distinguished looking Zenith couple, possibly Canadians. He wore, I believe, a Tissot watch. Was that you? Or were you the couple seated with the aforementioned people one night as we stopped and briefly chatted? Either way, I wish I had inquired as to who you were, as you have provided such good information over the years. There were only two Zenith couples on board, so I know we've met in passing at least.

Sounds like Rob and Sue, althought there are some other very fine, affable Canadians who are Zenith cruisers. Bob, Sue, Cyndee and I were the only Zeniths on that cruise, but we didn't dine in Blu.

I'm glad that they took the high road! And glad for you.:)

Way to keep at them! I guess the first people you contacted had to follow the company 'rules' and the second actually thought about whether those 'rules' made any business or economic sense. Good lesson for all consumers to learn when dealing with all businesses' customer service reps. - never take the first negative response as the final say, always take the issue up the ladder - somebody at the company has to have a brain and actually use it sometimes.

(That somebody has to have a brain comment does not apply to mobile phone or cable companies. :( )

Edited by DirtyDawg

Movie buff -- we just had the EXACT same experience. Paid for a CC aft and the corner FV became available. I held it, contacted my TA this morning and we made the "downgrade" which we are thrilled about. Yes, the FV price is lower than we paid and we are ok with that. But they took away two of our perks as well. My TA said the "FV does not qualify". I would like to contact Celebrity directly and ask/hope/pray for the same response you got. I have two questions:

1) Who did you write -- anyone or any department in particular?

2) Did you book with Celebrity directly or through a travel agent?

In any case, I plan to write Celebrity directly in spite of my TA telling me otherwise but it would be helpful to know in advance the details of your situation.

Would you please email me directly (Claireamy1109@yahoo.com)? Thank you so much. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome as well.

Glad it worked out for you in the end, so you will get to enjoy your 'cake' and eat it as well.:D

Movie buff -- we just had the EXACT same experience. Paid for a CC aft and the corner FV became available. I held it, contacted my TA this morning and we made the "downgrade" which we are thrilled about. Yes, the FV price is lower than we paid and we are ok with that. But they took away two of our perks as well. My TA said the "FV does not qualify". I would like to contact Celebrity directly and ask/hope/pray for the same response you got. I have two questions:

1) Who did you write -- anyone or any department in particular?

2) Did you book with Celebrity directly or through a travel agent?

In any case, I plan to write Celebrity directly in spite of my TA telling me otherwise but it would be helpful to know in advance the details of your situation.

Would you please email me directly (Claireamy1109@yahoo.com)? Thank you so much. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome as well.

Our TA was unsuccessful convincing the folks in reservations we should be able to retain all 3 of the 123GO perks since we were still paying for Concierge Class.

Not ready to give up at this point, I emailed concerns@celebrity.com. This is the email address the employee(s) of Celebrity who monitor this board refer people to when needing to resolve conflicts. I kept my email short and sweet, focusing on our paying for Concierge Class. The return reply came from the email address CelebrityOneTouch@celebrity.com.

So good luck to you and I hope you have the same result.

Good result, well done.

I know it's a pain and hopefully others can use the advice successfully.

We took a drop to a guarantee twice, once in 2013 and once in 2014. 1 time they let us keep the package,although the offer was no longer on and the other they didn't. Luck of the draw for us as we were paying less, at least $1500 each and on the 2nd one we kept the cabin too so it's definitely down to who processes the change

Our TA was unsuccessful convincing the folks in reservations we should be able to retain all 3 of the 123GO perks since we were still paying for Concierge Class.

Not ready to give up at this point, I emailed concerns@celebrity.com. This is the email address the employee(s) of Celebrity who monitor this board refer people to when needing to resolve conflicts. I kept my email short and sweet, focusing on our paying for Concierge Class. The return reply came from the email address CelebrityOneTouch@celebrity.com.

Thank you for responding. I did email my TA and she called them in our behalf. Like yours, ours was unsuccessful. So I used the email you so kindly shared and sent a request asking. I hope I have success like you did.

Movie buff, thank you for posting and helping me. I, too, wrote and today received an email and telephone call reinstating all 3 perks! I think this is excellent customer relations by Celebrity and just makes me that much more excited for our cruise. In this day and age where good customer service and prompt responses are rare, it is refreshing to write a large company and receive a favorable reply. Thank you, Celebrity!!

I would be disappointed too but I was a lot more disappointed in their reaction when we had to cancel our Baltic trip last year just two days before we were supposed to fly to AMS. I had a pretty major medical issue come up and there was no way I was going to be allowed to go. The TA we used was happy to keep his commissions, Celebrity was happy to keep our money, about 6 grand but they would not give us any Captain's Club points because "you did not actually make the trip". They did say "Gee, we are sorry"...fortunately we had the whole trip insured and did finally get most of the money back but Celebrity's attitude made me wonder... We are re-booked for this May and also have an OZ/NZ trip booked for Nov but part of me wants to go talk to a Princess rep....or maybe the Captain's Club rep on the May trip.... Bottom line is corporate cares much more about our money than they do about us..

I would be disappointed too but I was a lot more disappointed in their reaction when we had to cancel our Baltic trip last year just two days before we were supposed to fly to AMS. I had a pretty major medical issue come up and there was no way I was going to be allowed to go. The TA we used was happy to keep his commissions, Celebrity was happy to keep our money, about 6 grand but they would not give us any Captain's Club points because "you did not actually make the trip". They did say "Gee, we are sorry"...fortunately we had the whole trip insured and did finally get most of the money back but Celebrity's attitude made me wonder... We are re-booked for this May and also have an OZ/NZ trip booked for Nov but part of me wants to go talk to a Princess rep....or maybe the Captain's Club rep on the May trip.... Bottom line is corporate cares much more about our money than they do about us..

Last year we had to cancel our cruise two weeks before we were scheduled to leave. Celebrity refunded 25% per their contract. I never expected any points since we did not cruise. Same as not expecting frequent flyer miles for a flight we did not take. We had trip insurance which was gruelling dealing with them. (Private ins company, not Celebrity's ins) But we ultimately came out nearly whole and I recovered from my emergency surgery. We were satisfied enough to book with Celebrity again...and of course, we continue to purchase the trip insurance. If you are dissatisfied then by all means explore your options. A vacation should be a feel good experience and if you are unhappy during the planning process then maybe more research will help you with your decision.

WestCoastCruiser, in my case the airline charged a $300 re-booking fee and then told me that when I re-book I should call them and ask for a refund of $250 of that $300 so I would not expect anything else. Celebrity refunded just under $500 in port fees. The good news is I had a very positive out come from my "little cardiac adventure" and it looks like the world is stuck with me for a lot of years to come. We are booked with Celebrity for the next two trips and we will see how it goes. The airline did a whole lot more for me than X or the TA. The TA did lose my business. Yes, the whole trip insurance claim process was grueling, especially when they 'lost" my paperwork for over a month. Needless to say, I don't use that provider anymore either but I do make sure my trip is insured as soon as it is booked since I now have a pre-existing condition. Getting old is an adventure that is not for the feint of heart.....but it beats the alternative.

What exactly is your point? Should they do this for everyone?