What do you read while you're cruising?

cruisentn

We're a Kindle couple.

Being an avid reader, and about to get another Joe Hill novel to read while we cruise, I changed my mind.

I've actually found some great cruise mysteries to read whilst roaming about the Caribbean.

"It was a dark and lonely night on the ship, I heard a bump on the deck above me... and then a scream...."

:D

My wife will be reading something like 'She had just arrived on a wagon train and she saw him, standing by his horse,

sweating like the horse...' or some silly western romance poo.

What do you read while you're cruising?

Edited by cruisentn

I usually end up reading something that everyone was talking about a few years ago. Even at home, this is what happens. The current ebook on my iPad (when I can get the time) is Fifty Shades of Grey :o

I'm usually into Grisham, Clancy, with doses of Garcia ******* and Borges (I thank my AP Spanish class for getting me interested in Spanish/Latin literature). The whole Millennium Series was good, too. I just wish someone had told me that they should be read IN ORDER...

I read mystery/thriller type on my iPad. A few of the authors I like....

Lee Child

John Sanford

Michael Connelly

Jonathon Kellerman

Fayr Kellerman

Kathy Reich

Michael Harvey

Stephen Cannell (deceased but was a good author, read all his books)

Robert Crais

Sylvia Nobel

Robert Parker (also deceased, also read all his books)

Davis Baldacci

Dennis Lehsne

I tend to prefer series characters and I do read them in order written. :)

I can't read fiction. To me there is too much good real stuff in the world to learn about that I can't convince myself to read made-up stories. So whether on land, in air or at sea, I'll most likely be reading some kind of history book. Right now it's about the US entrance in to World War One. Last book was about the Continental Navy under George Washington.

Dale Brown, Tom Clancy, Clive Cussler and alike. I posted the below on another forum a couple of months back.

While I consider myself well read and versed in a number of what some might consider deep subjects every now and then I read something light and just for fun. I just finished all three books written by the gang from Duck Dynasty. Yep the Rednecks from West Munroe Louisiana. None are much more than 200 pages but I found them a great read.

Happy, Happy, Happy by Phil the father was the best. A great read about the transformation of the human sole with a fair bit of humour on the side. Although you wouldn't know it to look at him you won't get far into the book before you realize it was written by a man with a Masters degree and a whole lot of personal faith and conviction.

Si-Cology by Si, Phil's brother was easily the funniest book I have read in years.

The Duck Commander Family by Willie and his wife Kori was probably the most informative of the bunch and also sprinkled with a good dose of humour.

You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy any of these reads. It helps in places to understand their mindset like giving up a pro football career because it interfered with duck hunting season but certainly not a necessity.

I usually like light mysteries, no blood and guts or bad language. I like Martha Grimes, Anne Perry and Sue Grafton. On our last cruise, for something different, I also read 'Life of Pi'.

I like to buy used books to take on the cruise, then leave them in the ship's lending library for others. :)

I read a wide variety of authors. Not into fluff, though. AND I refuse to read anything by Nicholas Sparks! I'm fortunate because my neighbor downloaded 1300 books to my kindle, so I am never without options.

I like many international authors, many of whom are from Africa, Haiti, the Caribbean, South America, India, etc.

I read a lot of non-fiction, too. I might be taking Iranian author Majd Hooman's "The Ministry of Guidance Invites You Not to Stay" on my upcoming cruise.

For those who like to leave books on the ship for others, check out bookcrossing.com. I have had a few books "caught" on cruise ships.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I'll look for paperbacks, usually mysteries, at the local Read It Again

bookstore (which supports the literacy volunteers). If there's a long plane ride to and from the cruise, I'll have multiple books.

For instance, last summer I read a Michael Connelly.

I usually read the dinner menu, that's all.

:eek::D

I can't read fiction. To me there is too much good real stuff in the world to learn about that I can't convince myself to read made-up stories.

I actually just finished Billy Crystal's new book and it was pretty good. But I want to escape when I read. I find it harder to escape into real life than fiction. lol.

And quite honestly, I'm sorta new at reading for pleasure. I desperately HATE to shop, so going out roaming around looking for a good book isn't good for me. (although I migrate to a good bookstore now if I'm already out).

Getting a Kindle/Samsung Tab2 has made 100% difference in my reading. I can get samples dropped to the Tab, I can read other readers reviews. I can make the fonts bigger for the 52 year old eyes and I can sync it with my phone and read if I'm without the Tab. I can just see it better than with a paper book. I recently read NOS4A2 from Joe Hill in paperback and I'm so used to E-reading now, it was a chore to convert back to paper.

I like Joe Hill, Dennis Lehane, 'some' Stephen King, David Baldacci, basically any gumshoe writer.

As for cruise mysteries, I haven't settled on one yet.

I'm considering Cruise to Hell (looks like a good series, but short books)

or Murder Caribbean-Style

:eek::D

I like Joe Hill, Dennis Lehane, 'some' Stephen King, David Baldacci, basically any gumshoe writer.

Hello Cruisentn,

Have you read anything by Harlan Coben?

Just discovered him two years ago, superb thriller writer with the most unbelievable story twists. My favorites are Promise Me, Hold Tight and Gone for Good.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I usually end up reading something that everyone was talking about a few years ago. Even at home, this is what happens. The current ebook on my iPad (when I can get the time) is Fifty Shades of Grey :o

I'm usually into Grisham, Clancy, with doses of Garcia ******* and Borges (I thank my AP Spanish class for getting me interested in Spanish/Latin literature). The whole Millennium Series was good, too. I just wish someone had told me that they should be read IN ORDER...

Sometimes, I don't understand the auto-censor… The Garcia ******* is Gabriel Garcia Mar*quez. Author of "One Hundred Years of Solitude." I love his writings. There is one non-fiction he wrote, "News of a Kidnapping", is about the Pablo Escobar period in Colombia when some high-profile kidnappings occurred. He does novels, short stories, love 'em all…

Last cruise -- took a few by Elmore Leonard -- great characters, easy reads and very entertaining. Recommend his short story collections and if you've watched the TV series Justified you'll enjoy even more. The other I took was David Sedaris - will not be to everyone's taste but it made me laugh out loud. Other good vacation reads for me would be a John Grisham - recommend the Litigators.

Last cruise -- took a few by Elmore Leonard -- great characters, easy reads and very entertaining. Recommend his short story collections and if you've watched the TV series Justified you'll enjoy even more. The other I took was David Sedaris - will not be to everyone's taste but it made me laugh out loud. Other good vacation reads for me would be a John Grisham - recommend the Litigators.

Love both Leonard and Sedaris! I really like light but engaging reading while I travel, but I hate poorly written books (of course, that's always a subjective opinion). Preparing for this trip, I've been checking the Kindle Daily Deals every day, and loading up on some well-reviewed and fun looking books for $1.99 each or so. I'm also a big sci fi fan, so may pick up the new Vernor Vinge (big space opera sort of books, just wonderful and fun). Today I bought Diana Gabaldon's great book Outlander as a Kindle deal-I've read it before but it's huge and would be a pain to bring along in hard back. It's long and so much fun-time travel, historical fiction, romance, really well-written.

I check the fiction best seller list for light reading that looks engaging. I usually read on my kindle, but I pack at least one paperback for the beach. I get a few light books for the kindle as well, for reading on the ship. (Which reminds me...time to start looking for reading material for my upcoming cruise! I forgot to do that for our last cruise and was stuck with what I happened to be reading before the cruise, which was pretty heavy for vacation.)

Guest maddycat
Hello Cruisentn,

Have you read anything by Harlan Coben?

Just discovered him two years ago, superb thriller writer with the most unbelievable story twists. My favorites are Promise Me, Hold Tight and Gone for Good.

Jonathan

I love Harlan Coben! I especially enjoy reading his books since he lives in Northern NJ and sets his books in the Northern NJ/NYC metro area. I also enjoy Michael Crichton, Jeffery Deaver, Michael Connelly, David Balducci, Sandra Brown, Lee Child, Catherine Coulter, Carl Hiaasen and Greg Iles.

I buy used books at our library's semi-annual book sales. I bring several on a cruise and leave them in the ship's library when I am finised reading them.