Just got booted from my boardwalk balcony

Just got a phone call from my travel agent that RCI has booted us from our cabin 11329 because of construction for our cruise on November 29, 2014.

Instead of the last balcony cabin on the boardwalk on deck 11 we now have the first boardwalk balcony on deck 14, 14693.

There are no other B1's available for our sailing.

Of course they waited until final payment date has just past so we can't cancel and now have to just suck it up and move on.

Booked in January for this specific cabin. Not happy at all.

Oh yeah I know it is in the contract that they can do this but doesn't make it any easier to swallow.:mad:

Bill

That just plain out sucks. Hope you can still enjoy. Did they offer anything in return?

Nope not a thing. I was told that RCI said I booked a B1 and got a B1 so no need to do anything.

If it was 8 days ago i got this news I would cancel but now I'll be out $500.

Just getting the news now I'm pretty upset right now. I need to calm down first and not do a knee jerk reaction.

I have another booking for next April that I might cancel too.

Bill

Nope not a thing. I was told that RCI said I booked a B1 and got a B1 so no need to do anything.

If it was 8 days ago i got this news I would cancel but now I'll be out $500.

Just getting the news now I'm pretty upset right now. I need to calm down first and not do a knee jerk reaction.

I have another booking for next April that I might cancel too.

Bill

Ask your TA to go to the mat for you; that's not right. RCI know perfectly well how many people book those cabins for their prime location (if they had any brains they would charge more for them), and to boot you out long after they knew they were going to be doing construction work (somebody posted at least a week ago that they were booked out of their B1 on the westbound TA) and cause you to have made final payment is unconscionable, IMO.

Edited by critterchick

Your cruise is about a month after the overhaul. Does that mean that cabin is going away? We have the same cabin in January and if we are going to get bumped, I want to do something about it now. :confused: :mad:

They are putting in suites where those cabins are.

Edit AND they are still selling those end cabins. I saw one available for a cruise in 2015

Edited by molly361

Did your TA escalate this? I'd ask him/her to take another stab at getting RCI to sweeten the pot in recognition of your early booking (at likely a higher price than later rates) precisely to nail down your desired cabin placement. If that's a no go, then perhaps you'd have luck chatting with C&A about your frustration with loyalty in this instance.

Whatever happens, hope you will find a way to make lemonade!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

One thing I would do is ask rci when the Ta was notified

Interesting way of thinking!

Once had a TA who refused to answer my voicemails or my soon enough desperate emails when my cruise fare went down by $1000. Had to end up phoning the agency to ask if she'd died or quit, LOL. She finally called me, the day before the reduced fare ended. It's unfortunate that her commission is reduced, but that was a lot of money to pass up. Needless to say, I didn't use her after that.

It is frustrating to have glitches in well planned vacations. I hope the OP can still enjoy his cruise.

Oh that would be very frustrating! I'm sorry OP.

If you would prefer an ocean view to the Boardwalk balcony you were moved to (I wouldn't want to be on deck 14, personally) maybe you can call back and negotiate moving to one of those at no additional cost. If the PP is correct, the price difference is minimal and it seems like a reasonable thing to ask for.

Just got a phone call from my travel agent that RCI has booted us from our cabin 11329 because of construction for our cruise on November 29, 2014.

Instead of the last balcony cabin on the boardwalk on deck 11 we now have the first boardwalk balcony on deck 14, 14693.

There are no other B1's available for our sailing.

Of course they waited until final payment date has just past so we can't cancel and now have to just suck it up and move on.

Booked in January for this specific cabin. Not happy at all.

Oh yeah I know it is in the contract that they can do this but doesn't make it any easier to swallow.:mad:

Bill

Sorry to read this.

We book 1-2 years out to get a specific cabin as well.

I'd be disappointed too.

Since you used a TA, I think you need to have your TA go to bat for you and get you an upgrade to an OV balcony.

I love Royal Caribbean, but sometimes I just have to wonder about their thought process. :confused: I think the secrecy surrounding this Oasis dry dock and renovation is ridiculous, unnecessary, and is causing a lot of anxiety and ill-will among booked passengers.

If they are doing things like taking away cabins people booked over a year in advance to get, they need to publicize their plans. Waiting until after final payment to move passengers is inexcusable. What of the Concierge Lounge? The Diamond Lounge? The Viking Crown Lounge? People with paid reservations who are inside the penalty period deserved that information before they paid, and those who haven't made final payment yet need the information so they can make an informed decision about their vacation dollars.

I think RCI needs to be a lot more transparent with things like this.

OK, rant over!:o Good luck, OP!

Edited by Cindy