Carnival brings in outside to head entertainment

jimbo5544

Carnival announced yesterday they have brought in Sarah Beth Reno a 27 year veteran in the entertainment field as Vice President of Entertainment.

She will be responsible for all aspects of entertainment and programming for Carnival’s 24-ship fleet, including production revues, live musical performances, comedy clubs, guest activities, cruise directors/entertainment staff, and youth programs. She will also focus on developing and bringing new entertainment concepts to the brand.

Things are changing in southern Florida.....

Interesting. Hopefully she can help the Playlist Productions get their act together. The ones we saw on the Freedom were excellent, but I've heard they have not fared as well on the other ships....

And I'm all for more entertainment options. I don't cruise for entertainment, but it's nice to have some options!

I'm not sure I'd expect any BIG changes with this. Undoubtedly down the road those entertainment acts and venues with consistently poor attendance will be deep-sixed. But that doesn't mean live steel bands and live cover bands will magically reappear. Costs will be a concern. Poorly attended stage shows can easily be scraped. Perhaps a shift in Lido deck DJ focus from all hip-hop(or what poorly passes for R&B these days) all the time to a more eclectic musical variety could take place, leaving the hip-hop and EDM to the later night club venues. But there'll be data collection and more data collection before any real changes occur (nature of the beast in today's corporate world). I doubt she will be jerking around CDs, rather, she'll be the up-the-line report (no more "dear Mickey" notes from JH, who'll have to put on a pair of long pants before emailing Sarah Beth). And then again, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.;)

I'm not sure I'd expect any BIG changes with this. Undoubtedly down the road those entertainment acts and venues with consistently poor attendance will be deep-sixed. But that doesn't mean live steel bands and live cover bands will magically reappear. Costs will be a concern. Poorly attended stage shows can easily be scraped. Perhaps a shift in Lido deck DJ focus from all hip-hop(or what poorly passes for R&B these days) all the time to a more eclectic musical variety could take place, leaving the hip-hop and EDM to the later night club venues. But there'll be data collection and more data collection before any real changes occur (nature of the beast in today's corporate world). I doubt she will be jerking around CDs, rather, she'll be the up-the-line report (no more "dear Mickey" notes from JH, who'll have to put on a pair of long pants before emailing Sarah Beth). And then again, maybe we'll all be pleasantly surprised.;)

I will take a different view on this. I think this represents much more than a gloss over attempt. Look for changes, both short and long term. Much less of "jerking around CD's " and much more of what entertainment happens on all ships.

Carnival announced yesterday they have brought in Sarah Beth Reno a 27 year veteran in the entertainment field as Vice President of Entertainment.

She will be responsible for all aspects of entertainment and programming for Carnival’s 24-ship fleet, including production revues, live musical performances, comedy clubs, guest activities, cruise directors/entertainment staff, and youth programs. She will also focus on developing and bringing new entertainment concepts to the brand.

First thing she should do is kill or perfect the Playlist productions, get rid of the Hasbro nonsense, and get back to quality evening entertainment, and not in an abbreviated format. I wish her luck. She certainly has a challenge ahead for her.

I agree with the above poster! I DO cruise for the entertainment, and I'm very sad to say that there are very few Carnival ships sailing with what I'd consider, GOOD shows, anymore. HASBRO was a joke from the start, and the Playlist Productions, for the most part, are sadly lacking as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there might be some significant changes in the entertainment, or lack of, aboard Carnival ships.

"SKY"

Oh yes,,,who in their right mind decided that the majority of folks around the main pool like Hip-Hop/Rap Crap???????:confused:

Interesting. Hopefully she can help the Playlist Productions get their act together. The ones we saw on the Freedom were excellent, but I've heard they have not fared as well on the other ships....

And I'm all for more entertainment options. I don't cruise for entertainment, but it's nice to have some options!

I was on the Freedom in August, and we found the Playlist shows to be quite boring, and a big let down from the Liberty in 2013. While I have not seen other Playlist shows, if Freedom is the best of the bunch that is a poor comment indeed.

Hopefully this new VP will be able to improve and standardize the entertainment across the fleet.

I agree with the above poster! I DO cruise for the entertainment, and I'm very sad to say that there are very few Carnival ships sailing with what I'd consider, GOOD shows, anymore. HASBRO was a joke from the start, and the Playlist Productions, for the most part, are sadly lacking as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there might be some significant changes in the entertainment, or lack of, aboard Carnival ships.

"SKY"

Oh yes,,,who in their right mind decided that the majority of folks around the main pool like Hip-Hop/Rap Crap???????:confused:

LOL, it's not hip-hop/rap. Last cruise I paid particular attention to the Lido music because I keep reading complaints about it here. Actually, during the 'lull' they were playing a lot of 'Island' stuff, Jimmy Buffet, Bob Marley, etc... Then when the events started, like Sail Away, or Mixologist, or Hairy Chest, the would punch the music to top 40 pop with a heavy emphais on techno.

As much as a dwindling section of the cruising population would like, they are NOT going to play Sinatra, Johnny Cash, or The Shondells on Lido.

"SKY"

Agreed. Wish they would dump the DJ who adds nothing and go back to live music on lido.

Hasbro in the afternoon when lots of kids are on the ship makes sense but for evening entertainment when there are few kids on the ship?

Thank you for posting this information here.

LOL, it's not hip-hop/rap. Last cruise I paid particular attention to the Lido music because I keep reading complaints about it here. Actually, during the 'lull' they were playing a lot of 'Island' stuff, Jimmy Buffet, Bob Marley, etc... Then when the events started, like Sail Away, or Mixologist, or Hairy Chest, the would punch the music to top 40 pop with a heavy emphais on techno.

As much as a dwindling section of the cruising population would like, they are NOT going to play Sinatra, Johnny Cash, or The Shondells on Lido.

Re last sentence. I should certainly hope NOT!! Overdo of Buffet as being "island" and some of the commercialized Marley stuff is just as bad as "golden oldies from the fifties, especially when heard repeatedly. And a lot of techno stuff and newer top 40 is just noise masquerading as a beat. Can you really tell the difference between a Lady Gaga and a Katy Perry or even Mily Cyrus over those loud speakers on the Lido?:confused: There a lot of music out there that appeals to wider ranges of ages without dumbing down to 50 Cents or Mantovani.

Hasbro stuff needs to be left in the box in Camp Carnival.

Which begs the question as to what you would "rather" hear around the pool......

Steel drums and maybe some acoustic music with a little less DJ. When we sailed the Liberty in 2013 they had two different performer that came out on deck later in the day and play for an hour or two and it was great. The DJ concept for a majority of the day is awful.

Of those 27 years in the cruise industry . . . . a more limited amount has been specifically regarding entertainment.

Sorry for being picky, but I'm not (personally) looking to see any upcoming changes any time soon.

Many of us remember the amount of time it took for Jim Rip Van Berra to make any (even just one) of the wonderful/brilliant changes touted on his arrival as the know-all, see-all, be-all of loyalty program experts.

La la la la la

What people like in music is generally by age groups. The music that we grew up is the music that we like to hear. If the majority of the boat is above 50 then oldies , and 70 music is what you generally like, and that is what they need to play. if it is a majority of people between 30 and 50 then 80 and 90s music is what they want. Those under 30 prefer modern music . Carnival should come up with the average age of the passengers and play per portioned amount of music for each group. and Don't forget the country music lovers who's choices is country music and you cannot split them up by age group. The DJs should not play the music that they like as most of the passengers don't care for it. And volume is always a problem. The music should be back ground music and not so loud that you can hold a conversation. I wish this lady the best of luck, trying to keep everyone happy is impossible.

What entertainment? Lido stuff so loud it doesn't matter what they play. Guest participants, not going to sit through that. Dancing to canned music and videos never fit in my definition of entertainment. I enjoy cruising but stay away from the entertainment. Maybe that's why I have never known who the cruise director is.

What people like in music is generally by age groups. The music that we grew up is the music that we like to hear. If the majority of the boat is above 50 then oldies , and 70 music is what you generally like, and that is what they need to play. if it is a majority of people between 30 and 50 then 80 and 90s music is what they want. Those under 30 prefer modern music . Carnival should come up with the average age of the passengers and play per portioned amount of music for each group. and Don't forget the country music lovers who's choices is country music and you cannot split them up by age group. The DJs should not play the music that they like as most of the passengers don't care for it. And volume is always a problem. The music should be back ground music and not so loud that you can hold a conversation. I wish this lady the best of luck, trying to keep everyone happy is impossible.

Sorry, but good music transcends many decades. I can listen to good music from the 40's to current, jumping over the early 00's, which is when rap crap took over. And no matter HOW you slice it, rap is not music.

Thanks for sharing this information, jimbo. All I can say is I hope she has good taste in live music. Carnival needs big help in the entertainment arena right now. They are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel in comparing them to the competition. Please, please, please, Carnival, get rid of the loud DJs and bring back some good live island sounds.