Veendam delay into Fort Lauderdale April 21????

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:26 PM.
Pennsylvania
1,743 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
I just received a text message from HAL reading:

"Embarkation for your ms Veendam cruise on Friday April 21 has been delayed to 4:00 PM due to the ship's late arrival in port... Call at 9:00 AM on Friday morning for updated arrival, embarkation, and check in times...

I've seen nothing on these boards about any issues with the Veendam on the current cruise. Anyone know anything? Can't imagine hanging here at the Hampton all day...

Arie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
269 cruising days and counting! (149 HAL, 71 'X', 49 others)
Past Cruises: (star ratings reflect our opinion of the on-board experience, not the port calls!)
2016: June/July - Caribbean Princess - British Isles ****/ Oct/Nov - Koningsdam inaugural trans-Atlantic**1/2
2015: May - HAL Zuiderdam Mediterranean Explorer **** / Aug/Sept - HAL Statendam 14 day Alaska Explorer **** / Dec/Jan - HAL Zaandam 21 day South America & Antarctica Explorer *****
2014: Feb - HAL Westerdam Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May/June - HAL Prinsendam Kiel Canal and Baltics **** / Oct - HAL Westerdam Panama Canal 15 days ***** / Celebrity Reflection Christmas in the Caribbean ***1/2
2013: Jan - HAL Zuiderdam Panama Canal Sunfarer **** / April - Viking Skadi "Tulips & Windmills" *** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Constellation to Turkey & Greece ****
2012: Jan - HAL Eurodam to Eastern Caribbean ****1/2 / May - HAL Ryndam to the Fjords & North Cape ****1/2 / Sept/Oct - Celebrity Summit to Canada & Maine **
2011: Jan - Crown Princess to Western Caribbean ** / Mar - HAL Westerdam to Southern Caribbean ***** / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Solstice to Western Mediterranean ***1/2
2010: Feb - Celebrity Century to Key West & Grand Cayman ****1/2 / May - Celebrity Summit to Bermuda ***1/2 / Oct/Nov - Celebrity Infinity through the Panama Canal *****
2009: Aug - HAL Amsterdam to Alaska ***** / Nov - HAL Ryndam to Western Caribbean (central America) ****
1986: NCL Starward to Western Caribbean / 1988: NCL Starward to Southern Caribbean
1985: Commodore Cruise Line - Caribe to Eastern Caribbean
New Cumberland,PA, USA
26,370 Posts
Joined May 2000
So I did a little research on my AIS App (this shows where ships are in real time) and found the Veendam just southeast of Great Abaco Island (Bahamas) moving towards FL at 12.2 knots. That would put her about 200 miles east of the port. That would put her about 14 hours from Florida if she maintained her current speed, but of course she has to slow down as she nears the coast. So based on her current speed and course we would think she will make her port no earlier than noon. What is interesting is her speed since the Veendam is capable of doing around 20 knots. One can speculate as to why she is cruising at such a slow speed which would likely be some kind of mechanical issue. Until HAL issues some kind of statement (or perhaps you will hear something aboard) we can only guess as to the what is happening. It can be something minor that will be repaired between now and when you board...or it could be a more serious issue which would have her cruising at slower speeds until her next dry dock (we have seen this with ships that have Azipod issues).

Hank
California
276 Posts
Joined May 2012
Hope there are no "Noro" issues. Although, that could delay embarkation, usually would not affect arrival time. Hiltner's assessment is probably the answer. Would rather hang out at the hotel than the dock area.
No. California
7,297 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Arie, please let us know what you hear. We're on the cruise after yours.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
May 2017 HAL Veendam (Montreal to Boston)
Jun 2018 HAL Noordam (Seward to Vancouver)

Sep 2018 NCL Bliss (Vancouver to LA)

Past Cruises:
Holland America: Nieuw Amsterdam III; Eurodam; Westerdam; Maasdam; Nieuw Amsterdam (3)
Norwegian: Jewel (3); Pearl; Spirit (2); Star (3); Sun (4)
Princess: Coral; Golden; Island
Royal Caribbean: Monarch (2); Radiance (2)

Photos
New Cumberland,PA, USA
26,370 Posts
Joined May 2000
Just heard from a friend who is heading to FLL for the Veendam cruise...so we checked the current status since our last report. She has picked up speed to 14.7 Knots which is getting close to a normal cruising speed. So whatever reason had her moving so slow (2 hours ago) seems to have been rectified. But even at that speed she is certainly going to get into Port Everglades somewhat late since she has about 180 miles to reach the port.

Hank
Virginia
19,848 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
As of right now, she is showing an arrival time in PE of noon and departure at 2000 on pevvesseltraffic.broward.org .
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
North Central Florida
2,386 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Scrapnana
As of right now, she is showing an arrival time in PE of noon and departure at 2000 on pevvesseltraffic.broward.org .

I guess I can sleep in this morning, I'm watching live streaming of Merrie Monarch Festival Hula competition. See why I wanted Veendam to arrive on Thursday.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carole
Past cruises:
Costa Flavia 1975 - 4 day Bahamas
Sarah - 2005 - 7 day Barge - W&S Netherlands [Road Scholar]
Maasdam Jan 2015 - 10 day Southern Caribbean B2B
Zuiderdam Jan 2015 - 10 day Southern Caribbean & Panama Canal Sunfarer [Road Scholar]
AmaCerto May 2015 - 14 day Amsterdam - Budapest [Road Scholar]
Brilliance otS Nov 2015 - 5 day Western Caribbean
Nieuw Amsterdam Dec 2015 - 7-day Western Caribbean;
Zuiderdam Dec 2015 14-day W/E Caribbean Holiday Collector
Oosterdam Jan 2016 21-day Southern Caribbean Seafarer/Wayfarer
Westerdam Mar 2016 21-day Panama Canal Fort Lauderdale to San Diego; B2B
Westerdam Apr 2016 35-day Circle Hawai`i, Tahiti & Marqueses: San Diego to Seattle [Road Scholar]
Prinsendam May 2016 16-day Azores and Normandy Explorer - FLL to IJmuiden [Amsterdam] Last HAL ship out
Avalon Tranquility II & Poetry II Jun 2016 16-day Rhine & Rhône Revealed/SB - Amsterdam to Côte d’Azur (Rhine, Saône & Rhône)
Queen Mary 2 June 2016 8-day Trans-Atlantic crossing Southampton - NYC
Zuiderdam Oct 2016 12-day The Atlantic Coast - Quebec City to FLL First HAL ship back
Amsterdam Dec 2016 14-day Panama Canal Holiday SD to FLL
Nieuw Amsterdam Jan 2017 21-Day Southern Caribbean Wayfarer/Seafarer

Koningsdam Feb 2017 7-DAY Eastern Caribbean
Oosterdam Mar 2017 7-Day Western Caribbean [out of Tampa]

Cruising now:
Maasdam 7-DAY CANADA & NE DISCOVERY Jul 2017
Nieuw Amsterdam - 17-DAY BAHAMAS/E/W CARIBBEAN COLLECTOR HOLIDAY Dec 2017
Rotterdam 7-day Western Caribbean, Jan 2018 [out of Tampa].
SF Bay Area
746 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Oh Wow the same thing happen to us two years ago withe the Veendam. The Ship was late getting into Fort Lauderdale doing an eastbound Panama Canal Cruise. We were doing a Westbound Fort Lauderdale back to San Diego.

Hopefully you can make up the time.

Everyone will be making friends in the hotel lobbies while you are waiting to get to the port.
105,192 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
Hope that whatever technical issues the Veendam has can be corrected.

I just looked at the Ft Lauderdale web came and only the Queen Victoria is in.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
New Cumberland,PA, USA
26,370 Posts
Joined May 2000
So, here is the latest regarding facts...not conjecture As of this moment the Veendam is about 55 miles east of Port Everglades moving at 15.3 knots towards the port. So the good news for our friends (who will be on this cruise) is that the ship seems to cruising at near normal speeds . The other good news for our friends (since we think their flight into FLL is delayed a couple of hours) is that they probably do not have to be real concerned with getting to the port on time. At her current speed and course it does seem likely that the ship will dock around 1 pm. Our best to all going on the next cruise and we hope whatever delayed the Veendam's arrival has been rectified and you will all have a terrific cruise.

Hank
Saskatoon, Canada
6,618 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Another reason why we always try to tack an extra day or two on at the end of our cruises - I would hate to miss a flight home due to ship delays. Now that we are retired, we can afford the time - unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury.

Smooth Sailing!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruising takes me to places where memories begin.

Western Washington
611 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
According to AIS, she's currently honkin' along at 16.7 kt!

(taking time out from packing for Zaandam to enjoy my last FTL sailaway for quite some time)

Oops! Just as I posted this I have to edit 'cause she's slowing down right now as Pilot No 1 approaches.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Susan
emailme

September 2016 - Maasdam - Great Land Explorer (14 days)
September 2015 - Amsterdam - Alaska (7 days)
May 2015 - Amsterdam - Panama Canal Repo (18 days)
May 2014 - Amsterdam - Alaskan Explorer (14 days)

May 2013 - Statendam - Alaska Collector (14 days)
September 2012 - Statendam - Alaska B2B (14 days)
November 2010 - Ryndam - Western Caribbean (7 days)
September 2010 - Ryndam - Panama Canal (21 days)
May 2010 - Radiance OTS - Alaska (13 days)
USA
5,270 Posts
Joined May 2012
She just arrived.

http://www.portevergladeswebcam.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
You can view my wife's cruise pictures (shore excursions, ships, etc.) in the Travel section of her website Nancy's Oasis and the individual links below my cruise countdown.

2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam Ketchikan,Juneau,Dawes,Icy Strait Point,Anchorage,Homer,Kodiak,Hubbard,Sitka, Victoria,BC
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas St. Croix, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal with Columbia, Costa Rica, Grand Cayman, Aruba
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean Cozumel (Tulum) Jamaica, and Grand Cayman
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound Icy Strait Point, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Hubbard Glacier
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean Belize (Lamanai), Roatan, Costa Maya (Kohunlich), Cozumel
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Cozumel and Progresso (Chichen Itza)
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Owners Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean Nassau, Freeport, Key West
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite - Newport,Boston,Bar Harbor,St. John,Halifax
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean Progreso (Uxmal) Cozumel
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel
St Petersburg, Florida
465 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I was aboard Veendam in March and we had several stretches where she did just under 20 knots, so I know the old girl can still go! Probably had an engine down or something similar .
Southern California
3,406 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by St Pete Cruiser
I was aboard Veendam in March and we had several stretches where she did just under 20 knots, so I know the old girl can still go! Probably had an engine down or something similar .
We'll probably never know, being the (single and first) post that was attributed to HAL is no longer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Favorite place to view cabin pictures:
Holland America + Cabin Pictures

December 13, 2015 Veendam Mexican Rivera
March 14, 2015 Veendam Mexican Rivera
January 10, 2013 Veendam Antarctica
July 22, 2011 Sailing the Tall Ship Californian
August 9, 2010 Amsterdam 14 days Alaska Itinerary
June 23, 2009 (Alaska RT Vancouver) Volendam
September 6, 2008 (Alaska: Gulf Crossing) Volendam
Raleigh, N.C.
11,357 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
We had a delayed departure (deep cleaning required by noro virus) on a Princess cruise. We were able to drop off our checked luggage, then check in, and wait in the convention center. In the case of that cruise, it was about a four-hour delay. We walked over to the shopping center with Publix to eat lunch and buy wine. We still had a couple of hours in the convention center before they started allowing folks to board the ship.

How did HAL handle the passengers who did not get the message about the delay (and those who did not heed it)?
7 Posts
Joined May 2005
I was on the Veendam yesterday, Friday April 21 2017. When we left Half Moon Cay on Thursday April 20 2017, we only had use of one propeller. We were informed of this at 7 PM on Thursday (we left at 3 PM). We could only go half speed to Fort Lauderdale. We were schedule to dock at 0700 , but we did not arrive until just after 12 noon. We were safe, but a little bored. Holland gave us free internet and phone usage to change flights and stuff like that. We started disembarkation at 12:45 PM. I think that we will be getting a partial future cruise credit also for our inconvenience.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Holland America Zaandam 8/16/2015
Holland America Statendam 8/18/2013
Holland America Statendam 10/28/2011
Holland America Ryndam 8/22/2009
Carnival Conquest 2/4/2007
Carnival Triumph 2/12/2005
Carnival Celebration 2/3/1996
DC area
188 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by djw545
I was on the Veendam yesterday, Friday April 21 2017. When we left Half Moon Cay on Thursday April 20 2017, we only had use of one propeller. We were informed of this at 7 PM on Thursday (we left at 3 PM). We could only go half speed to Fort Lauderdale. We were schedule to dock at 0700 , but we did not arrive until just after 12 noon. We were safe, but a little bored. Holland gave us free internet and phone usage to change flights and stuff like that. We started disembarkation at 12:45 PM. I think that we will be getting a partial future cruise credit also for our inconvenience.
Thank you for the update. Veendam made it to Port Canaveral. Hopefully everything's okay now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save