5 days before we cruise and would like to add a guest

pema

I have a call out to my TA....has anyone ever had a guest added to your cabin 5 days before sailing ?

We have a space in our cabin for an added guest

Any advice on this issue as I await call back from TA

Look online at your cruise ship's website at the diagrams of the ship and make sure your stateroom can hold X many passengers. However, IF your ship is sold out, even if there is another berth available it may not be possible to add an additional passenger. Also, this may wind up being complicated and affect any perks you got from your travel agent, so ask your travel agent what effect adding a passenger will have to your current booking BEFORE you make the change. It might wind up costing you all your perks such as UDP and UBP and onboard credit. At this late date, it may be even more problematic if the only way to add a passenger is to cancel and rebook - which could cost you your entire cruise fare at this late date. It may turn out the best thing to do is get this extra person their own cabin if one is available.

Ask lots of questions of your travel agent and set parameters of what will be OK and what will not be OK.

I have a call out to my TA....has anyone ever had a guest added to your cabin 5 days before sailing ?

having 'space' in a cabin( 3 booked in one that holds 4) is irrelevant,

if the lifeboat capacity of that cabin has been reached you are SOL. and that happens quite frequently.

Unless the ship is at maximum capacity (overall head count - not based on whether there may be space in a particular cabin), the line should be happy to sign on an additional passenger --- the sooner you ( or your TA) contact them the better your chances are - there is likely a deadline of two days before sailing.

If the ship is not a capacity then it is a non issue as long as you can pay the bill. If the ship is full you are out of luck. (The ship can be full even if your cabin is not.)

Edited by zqvol

Considering that the summer is a high demand time (because kids are out of school and people have summer vacations they can take), most likely your sailing has reached capacity. As others have said, it doesn't matter if there's a berth available in your cabin.

All the above advice is spot on....If I was the OP I would have at least done a mock booking and see how many cabins are available at this point...that would give me an idea if adding another might be an option.

All the above advice is spot on....If I was the OP I would have at least done a mock booking and see how many cabins are available at this point...that would give me an idea if adding another might be an option.

Good idea.

OP....... thought you booked with a TA, a rep at your cruise line may answer whether it is possible or not.

I'd be curious to know what the extra space is in the cabin ?

its an end of june sailing and I cant imagine the cruiselines allowing you too to book a cabin for more people then what you have cruising.

There is a sofa in the cabin-- doesnt mean that sofa is a bed.

the cabin MUST hold the amount of guest booked into in.

If you cabin only holds 2 people there is no booking a 3rd

Can someone confirm that or correct me?

You are incorrect. It is not 3 days. It is generally one to two hours before sail away. I have booked several cruises on the morning of departure. Booked by 10am and onboard by 2 pm.

I think Homeland Security requires no less than 3 days notice to travel by ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. Carnival (and I would assume other lines as well) will allow guests to call up to the morning of the sail date to request a booking assuming there is still a room available. Guests cannot just show up at the pier in hopes of getting a room.

its an end of june sailing and I cant imagine the cruiselines allowing you too to book a cabin for more people then what you have cruising.

Many cabins have room for three - the third being either a drop-down upper berth or a convertible loveseat - which you can select for two. Most cabins we've had have had that convertible loveseat. Once you have selected a particular cabin and paid the fare (including single supplement if sailing solo) that cabin is yours even if you are sailing alone regardless of how many it COULD sleep.

Completely inaccurate. Homeland Security requires one hour notification. I have no idea where the 3 day myth came from but it is inaccurate.

There is no rule that you must book a cabin for the maximum number that it can hold, no matter what time of year. Solo cruisers are always in a cabin that holds at least two and often three or four passengers.

This misconception that cruise lines only let you book for the maximum number that a cabin will hold is a long time myth that just keeps getting spread.

There is no rule that you must book a cabin for the maximum number that it can hold, no matter what time of year. Solo cruisers are always in a cabin that holds at least two and often three or four passengers.

This misconception that cruise lines only let you book for the maximum number that a cabin will hold is a long time myth that just keeps getting spread.

For EVERY time I tried to book a cruise I was NEVER able to book a cabin that holds more people

Carnival 6232 holds 4 people-- try booking that with only 2 people

or 9200 holds 4 people. Will NOT let you book for 2

Freedom of the seas for April 2016

7607 would NOT let me book for 2 people but it was available.

A solo cruiser will NOT be able to book a cabin that holds 3 people.

a one couple will not be able to book a cabin that holds 4 people in high peak family sailing time

For EVERY time I tried to book a cruise I was NEVER able to book a cabin that holds more people

a one couple will not be able to book a cabin that holds 4 people in high peak family sailing time

Correct..and a fairly new policy with RCI...one that many of us weren't happy about...

But you can get around it by cruising at certain times that aren't considered high season or holidays.

Of course, this varies by cruise line.

On Disney we've always booked a room that had more beds than we had people on the reservation. Generally because we are usually 2 people, and I believe the smallest rooms on the Disney ships hold at least 3. Our last two Disney cruises we were placed in a 5 person room and a 4 person room.

On HAL, most of the rooms seem to be 2 person rooms, with a few larger ones. We've been booked into 2 person rooms as well as a 3 person room.

Our one Carnival cruise we booked a 3 person room (again, just 2 of us) with no problem.

We have three people and have been often been able to book a cabin with the two beds and the two pull down beds. That was on Princess (and maybe that happened on Carnival but it's been over 12 years since our last Carnival cruise). Don't know about other cruiselines. We did have to wait until a three-party (apparently) group cancelled to be able to book all three of us.

There could be some cabins available when you check for a two-person booking. That doesn't mean that there's room for a third person, if the cruise is nearing capacity.

actually it is quite common for certain itinerariues and dates on Royal to NOT be allowed to book certain cabins that hold four if there are less than 4 guests. causing a lot of discontent since some of these cabins are considered prime real estate( Humps, afts, etc)

Completely inaccurate. Homeland Security requires one hour notification. I have no idea where the 3 day myth came from but it is inaccurate.

It depends on the cruise line. Many times you can call Carnival that morning and sail that evening.

Princess closes its manifest two days before. Princess needs that time to prints its cabin tags.