Pants instead of formal gown?

I'm not a formal gown type of person. Probably a combination of not feeling I look that good, not wanting to spend so much money, and also knowing that I'll never wear it again. Add it all up, and I want to wear pants. I've got black rayon/silk-type palazzo pants and a somewhat fancy top.

How many of you prefer pants? Any pictures?

We will be on a Princess cruise of the Baltic with 2 formal nights. On past Princess cruises, I've seen it all on formal nights, from casual pants to Princess Grace dresses.

I'll try to get a picture of me.

I like your site....you sound like a good group....

Sue

Lots of folks are like you...the "fancy" pants are fine. About 30 years ago, that would not have been acceptable...but nowadays, it's fine!

I prefer a gown or cocktail dress...but I've got pretty good legs, and like to show 'em! Plus...I have gowns and dresses and like to wear them!

I like to travel light so I will probably pack my palazzo pants with assorted sparkle tops, although I do own assorted cocktail dresses that I enjoy wearing and that look nice too. It's really a toss up for me and will depend on which is the least bulky in my designated carryon.

Edited by LMW1330

Mom and I have both chosen to wear black slacks and the female equivalent of dinner jackets on the gala nights of our upcoming Alaska cruise. My jacket is black, Chanel style, with rows of white pearl trim. Mom's jacket is a black collared jacket with tiny, shiny black studs arrayed in an hourglass pattern. It really flatters her trim waist.

My tablet won't make a link, but for my diehard qvc friends, my jacket is a 226298. Mom's is similar to a217248, except the embellishment is tonal rather than clear and white.

I know slacks are not strictly formal. Given our mobility impairments, foot problems, and shopping constraints, this was the best way I could dress Mom and me while honoring the other guests and the festive nature of the evening.

Vicki

also prefer pants/fancy tops - will be wearing this on next cruise - however I did find a nice maxi dress recently and I think I might bring it along for 2nd formal night? or just regular dinner?

Mom and I have both chosen to wear black slacks and the female equivalent of dinner jackets on the gala nights of our upcoming Alaska cruise. My jacket is black, Chanel style, with rows of white pearl trim. Mom's jacket is a black collared jacket with tiny, shiny black studs arrayed in an hourglass pattern. It really flatters her trim waist.

My tablet won't make a link, but for my diehard qvc friends, my jacket is a 226298. Mom's is similar to a217248, except the embellishment is tonal rather than clear and white.

I know slacks are not strictly formal. Given our mobility impairments, foot problems, and shopping constraints, this was the best way I could dress Mom and me while honoring the other guests and the festive nature of the evening.

Vicki

Don't feel you have to apologize for your dress. Sounds great to me! You will see a lot of people dressed in pants and nice tops and if you need the shoes then wear them and be comfortable. There will always be haters and those who think that anything less than a gown in unacceptable. Wear your outfit and feel good about you.

Edited by LMW1330

I wear a combination of things. Some cruises I'll wear maxi skirts for elegant night other times I'll wear black palazzo pants or a nice dress. I think what you plan to wear will be fine...no problem.

I hope you have an awesome cruise!:D

I usually wore nice black slacks with a fancy top. I did find a light-weight stretchy knit black skirt with elastic waist and asymetrical hemline that can also be worn with my fancy tops.

I've now got horrible arthritic feet so shoe options are limited.

I usually wore nice black slacks with a fancy top. I did find a light-weight stretchy knit black skirt with elastic waist and asymetrical hemline that can also be worn with my fancy tops.

I've now got horrible arthritic feet so shoe options are limited.

What kind of shoes do you wear?

I can't wear heels anymore, and I don't really miss them, even tho' they do look nice. Do you wear flats? loafer-type? laced walking shoes?

Sue

What kind of shoes do you wear?

I can't wear heels anymore, and I don't really miss them, even tho' they do look nice. Do you wear flats? loafer-type? laced walking shoes?

Sue

I live in Keen sandals in the summer - Newport or Venice style. Have them in every color. This year Keen came out with a dressier sandal that I got in black so I can wear those to work instead of the clunky Brooks in black.

I do have a pair of yellow ballet flats (from Keen of course) that I can wear for dressier events, but not for very long.

In the winter I wear black Merrill clog-style shoes (also have them in suede brown to wear with jeans). And the foot doctor recommends Brooks Addiction for tennis shoes.

It's a challenge.

We sailed an Allure TA in April/May.

I thought one of the smartest and most attractively dressed ladies on board was one wearing an evening pants suit. Wow. She looked fantastic.

It made me want one. She was so elegant.

Point being, pants can be lovely for formal night. And fairly common in today's world.

Sandy Sails,

I looked up your shoes. They are really casual cute. I also like the dressier yellow ballet flats. I don't know which style you have but there were really lots of cute ones with bows and one with polka dots that I like.

Sandy Sails,

I looked up your shoes. They are really casual cute. I also like the dressier yellow ballet flats. I don't know which style you have but there were really lots of cute ones with bows and one with polka dots that I like.

Here are the dressier black sandals I wear to the office:

http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/women/rose-leather

Because my feet are a little wide, I got them 1/2 size larger than normal and they're really comfy, if not a bit long in the toe box.

I'm not a formal gown type of person. Probably a combination of not feeling I look that good, not wanting to spend so much money, and also knowing that I'll never wear it again. Add it all up, and I want to wear pants. I've got black rayon/silk-type palazzo pants and a somewhat fancy top.

We will be on a Princess cruise of the Baltic with 2 formal nights. On past Princess cruises, I've seen it all on formal nights, from casual pants to Princess Grace dresses.

Sue

Honestly, I think black pants are fine. Maybe 20 years ago when people got far more dressed up for formal nights I would have said something different, but not now.

My mom is just like you. She has a dressy event to go to, black pants. Always. She wore a dress to my sister's wedding and to mine but those are the only 2 events I recall her wearing a dress to in a very long time. She recently went on a Princess cruise with my grandma. Grandma wore a dress, she wore pants and a blouse.

You're not a different person on a cruise than you are in real life, so if you wouldn't wear a dress in real life why wear one on a cruise? You want to be comfortable!

Sue

I mix it up. Dresses, skirts or pants depending on what fits me when I pack for the cruise, and how little room I have in my suitcase. You will see a wide range of clothes for formal night. Your pants and fancy top will be fine.

also prefer pants/fancy tops - will be wearing this on next cruise - however I did find a nice maxi dress recently and I think I might bring it along for 2nd formal night? or just regular dinner?

Hi, I know you posted the photo of your maxi dress on the other thread.

You could wear that dress any evening:D....it is really nice and can

be dressed up or down:)