Is it rude/frowned upon......

To make reservations for my time dining and cancel? I'm concerned about not having a reservation, yet we don't always want to go to the dining room. On our last cruise, Celebrity, we made our reservations each day based on our plans for the day/evening.... is that an option or should I make reservations for each night beforehand?

I don't think so.

You need to set some times, so that you have a base of dining. And things sometimes change when on board.

This isn't sharing a table of 10 with other people who some say will wait for you to be late. This is just your group, and unless you insist on having the same table every night, nobody will really notice if you don't make your reservations.

If would be extra nice if you canceled reservations IF you knew you would do something else. But I just can't see it being rude to have flexible plans WRT MTD reservations.

To make reservations for my time dining and cancel? I'm concerned about not having a reservation, yet we don't always want to go to the dining room. On our last cruise, Celebrity, we made our reservations each day based on our plans for the day/evening.... is that an option or should I make reservations for each night beforehand?

We never make reservations and go when we're ready. There was only one occasion on Allure when we had to wait more than 20 minutes for a a four top. Usually we were able to walk right in or wait no more than 10 minutes especially when there's only two of us. If we like the server team we try to go the same time every night and request their table.

No, not rude at all to call and cancel.

What is annoying for me, however, is to go to the MDR on time for your set reservation and have to wait in line.

When we have to wait more than 15 minutes....we walk off and find the WJ.

As long as you cancel your reserved time, I don't think it's rude at all. We usually make reservations for the same time each evening online and then when we board and make specialty restaurant reservations, we go to the My Time dining desk and cancel the reservations we don't need.

No, not rude at all to call and cancel.

What is annoying for me, however, is to go to the MDR on time for your set reservation and have to wait in line.

When we have to wait more than 15 minutes....we walk off and find the WJ.

For us too.When we were on Harmony last year i spoke to the restaurant manager because i had prebooked our times and we were stood in a long queue but the non booked queue was moving faster.

Agree with those saying as long as you call and cancel reservations you will not be using not rude at all. We usually make reservations for the entire cruise but then either change or cancel at least 2. We have found this the better way to go for us.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Why even make reservations at all, absolutely not necessary....We never do and that's the point of the flexibility of MTD. We've never had more than a few minutes wait time...usually we're able to walk right in...it doesn't matter which table or where we sit as long as it's a table for 2 or how many other family members are sailing with us.

No not rude at all! I will say the one time I didn't make reservations they moved us over to the early seating - which was back in the day when MTD had to pre-pay gratuities so it was rude of them. Now I always make reservations and we build up a rapport with the very hard working MTD hosts and always let them know if our plans change.

For us too.When we were on Harmony last year i spoke to the restaurant manager because i had prebooked our times and we were stood in a long queue but the non booked queue was moving faster.

Yeah, I have seen that happen before also. Including check in lines at the terminal with separate GP or C&A tiers.

Another reason we grab a glass of wine before heading to the MDR....nice to be sipping on our cocktail while waiting

for our table. Makes the waiting a little easier. ;)

No, not rude at all. They only hold that reservation for 15 minutes then release it.

We always arrive 5-10 minutes before our reserved time. If we are still waiting in line 15-20 minutes after that reserved

time....we head to the WJ. ;)

Ignore the "cruise police" ....

Sorry, pardon? Who in this thread is "the cruise police"? :o One person gave an "interesting" reply but given his other postings, I consider the source and know it was sarcastic and not to be taken seriously. Otherwise, everyone in this thread has been fine. *confused*