What is the latest you have ever booked a cruise?

Bigbluegal

What are the chances of snagging a room on a ship the week it is set to sail?

It depends on the time of year, length and itinerary. We've always booked at least 11 months out. The only way to know is to keep checking. Some ships, especially sailing from some ports are sold out a couple of months out. It's routine for Grandeur out of Baltimore to be sold out 6+ weeks out. Cruising out of FL, you can probably find a cabin on some ship that's open a week out, but it'll be whatever is left in inventory.

Due to work commitments.... I usually book my cruises 3 to 5 days before departure on low demand cruises.

Skip the cancellation insurance and I can choose where to go by looking at the weather forecasts.

I am guessing that you live within driving distance of at least one port of embarkation. ;)

I once booked a cruise only 10 nights prior to sail away...a 15 night transatlantic from Rome to Miami... only $449pp! (about $100taxes, and tips were extra, but also got $250 OBC from shareholder benefit) Booked my one way flight to Rome through Choice Air for only $508pp just eight nights before fly out. :cool:

Just an FYI RCCL started a "price integrity" policy a few years ago, not sure about anyone else but they will not deeply discount their rooms prior to sailing. The cheapest price that you will find is the day that it becomes available and it just goes up in price from there. For this reason we typically book as far in advance as we are able. I would say for us the shortest time was about one year. Here is a link to what I am talking about......

http://www.travelweekly.com/cruise-travel/royal-hews-to-price-integrity-plan-and-sees-a-rise-in-close-in-pricing

Just an FYI RCCL started a "price integrity" policy a few years ago, not sure about anyone else but they will not deeply discount their rooms prior to sailing. The cheapest price that you will find is the day that it becomes available and it just goes up in price from there. For this reason we typically book as far in advance as we are able. I would say for us the shortest time was about one year. Here is a link to what I am talking about......

http://www.travelweekly.com/cruise-travel/royal-hews-to-price-integrity-plan-and-sees-a-rise-in-close-in-pricing

Yeah, that's what they tell us.

We're on the Oct 22 Liberty sailing and booked right before final payment and the interior across the hall for the kids was $650pp. Yesterday the price went down to $470pp. At least for us the new price allowed us to talk the in-laws into joining us since it was so cheap. And Royal can't claim that it is not a similar cabin because the in-laws got the exact same room port side that we have on the starboard side. Take a look at the Going, Going, Gone this week and you'll see some of the lowest prices in years.

Probably has more to do with new cruise bookings for this fall screeching to a halt with all the hurricane activity more than anything, but it proves that the laws of supply and demand still apply at RCCL, no matter what they tell you.

I can't remember the details, but they had some caveats to that policy.

The cruise line wants you to believe that but it simply is not accurate. TAs hold blocks of rooms for groups. When they release them, it's a great time to snag a bargain.

The info from travel weekly sure would not explain our $449 Vancouver to Hawaii 11 might cruise this time last year. (Most paid $1299.) Or this week's $549 aft facing balcony on Adventure that included $150 OBC. If you book when the cruise first opens you better have a great TA or check daily for price drops or you are not paying the lowest comparable price. (Unless, as someone else pointed out supply and demand fills all the cabins on a amazingly popular cruise.)