Slowly out of reach?

chromered7

Is the cost of cruising inevitably becoming out of reach for some people? Are there still deals available for cruisers from the UK across all cruise lines.

Thoughts please.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am not sure that cruises are that much more expensive now. What I do think has changed in recent years are the 'add ons' if you cruise as part of a package. I think, certainly from a UK perspective, this is true for land based holidays too. Packaged Mediterranean holidays, you paid a price, that was it, now add ons for everything!

I remember our first packaged Caribbean cruise included hotels, car hire, flights...Now, try to book similar and add on charges for 'booking seats', transfers, push for extras on car hire, 'upgrade' hotel charges....the list goes on. Your final price has no resemblance to the initial 'value' price....

We tend to do everything as independently as possible using air miles, points, loyalty bonuses....It is amazing just how much you can cut costs but still ensure quality. We also find self catering in Villas or apartments pre and post cruise saves us substantially and we love the flexibility it offers....this is especially true re Caribbean cruising.

In terms of Celebrity in particular, although we now may pay more we do think if you think about drinks packages...the final holiday costs perhaps are not that different....

I have to honestly add, there are many things I would 'budget' and do without before I gave up cruising!

Some Celebrity cruises do seem to be expensive to me but they include the drinks package which of course is not free.

There are bargains to be had but I cast my net wider these days when I'm choosing a cruise. Cost and itinerary are what drives me to make a choice - these days Celebrity's med itineraries just don't appeal.

We started cruising 8 years ago. Our cruise in a few weeks on Eclipse costs less than similar ones 6/7 years ago and has a free drinks package. There are deals around for UK cruisers but timing is important to bag a good price. Having used a US t/a twice I still keep an eye on prices through them but in the last couple of years have not bettered the price I can get here and will be unlikely to with the fall in Sterling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

for many cruises are way, way more than they used to be...IMO! I am glad that we were able to cruise to many areas in the world...way back in the early 2000's!!! :) As we age (68 & 80) I find that flying and cruising is more attractive closer to home...but X has left SD out of the "loop" for a number of years now...in fact the entire "left" coast!!! And we tend now to do more T/As..as we love the sea days!!! But I miss the T/Ps...last one we did was on "Century"...her final one in fact from SF to Sydney!! Please X...bring back R/T to Hawaii...from SD...it was popular...at least I thought so..we did it a number of times...and SD is a great departure port...so much to do/see!!! We normally book AQ...and book way far out...to get the best prices...as we don't live in FL we can't jump on a ship at the last minute!!! :0 LuAnn

I think cruise prices are fine. I do not like all the various promotions that sometimes are very complicated for any true comparison between cruises.

What has increased is transportation to the port of departure.

Air fare has gone up drastically and figuring out connecitons times and when to book air is tricky.

Is the cost of cruising inevitably becoming out of reach for some people? Are there still deals available for cruisers from the UK across all cruise lines.

There are several BILLION people who can't even COMPREHEND a life in which they can afford to go on a cruise. I am constantly grateful that I am able to cruise between 30 and 60 nights per year... but ONLY because I search for, and CONSTANTLY FIND numerous cruises that are priced UNDER $50pp/night.

If someone "MUST" cruise in a balcony, (or a suite) or only on Crystal and Regent, they have absolutely NO business complaining about prices. :rolleyes:

Some Celebrity cruises do seem to be expensive to me but they include the drinks package which of course is not free.

There are bargains to be had but I cast my net wider these days when I'm choosing a cruise. Cost and itinerary are what drives me to make a choice - these days Celebrity's med itineraries just don't appeal.

If I weren't already booked on a RCCL cruise along the US west coast, I would have DEFINITELY jumped on this Celebrity Constellation B2B cruise in the Med.

Mon Oct 10 Venice, Italy 5:00pm

Tue Oct 11 Dubrovnik, Croatia 2:00pm

Wed Oct 12 Dubrovnik, Croatia 8:00pm

Thu Oct 13 Kotor, Montenegro 7:00am 4:00pm

Fri Oct 14 At Sea

Sat Oct 15 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Sun Oct 16 Salerno, Italy 7:00am 7:30pm

Mon Oct 17 Catania, Sicily, Italy 9:00am 6:00pm

Tue Oct 18 At Sea

Wed Oct 19 Rhodes, Greece 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Oct 20 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Noon

Fri Oct 21 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Sat Oct 22 At Sea

Sun Oct 23 Ephesus / Kusadasi, Turkey 7:00am 7:00pm

Mon Oct 24 Rhodes, Greece 7:00am 5:00pm

Tue Oct 25 Limassol, Cyprus 10:00am 6:00pm

Wed Oct 26 Haifa, Israel 7:00am 9:30pm

Thu Oct 27 Jerusalem / Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel 6:30am

Fri Oct 28 Jerusalem / Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel 8:30pm

Sat Oct 29 At Sea

Sun Oct 30 At Sea

Mon Oct 31 Valletta, Malta Noon 8:00pm

Tue Nov 1 At Sea

Wed Nov 2 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

The first leg was only $409pp, and the second leg was only $526pp. :eek:

23 nights on Celebrity for $935pp... to ALL OF *T*H*O*S*E* ports... :cool:

But of course there are people who will complain that taxes and tips are not included... even though the vast majority of cruise lines advertise ALL of their prices in similar fashion... :rolleyes:

And of course there are people who will complain that air fare is not included... even though AIR2SEA has ridiculously inexpensive flights from almost any city in the US, and flights from other European cities are even LESS...

If you don't like an inside cabin... DON'T GO!

If you don't like THIS ship... DON'T GO!

If you don't like THIS itinerary... DON'T GO!

If you don't like THIS time of year... DON'T GO!

If you don't like the cost of your "NEEDED" business or first class flights...DON'T GO!

Just QUIT COMPLAINING that cruises cost too much!!!!!

Edited by teecee60

Thoughts please.

Define your idea of a 'deal'. :)

Some people are delighted to find last minute bargains in inside cabins which when you consider the prices are considered cheap. Others would need to be paid to sail in an inside cabin on a TA or itinerary with lots of sea days and these people are more likely to look for value on a more costly cruise.

But if you look at the 90 day tickers on the travel agents websites, have a flexible schedule and are not too bothered about sailing in the better category rooms you can indeed find bargains very easily.

There are several BILLION people who can't even COMPREHEND a life in which they can afford to go on a cruise. I am constantly grateful that I am able to cruise between 30 and 60 nights per year... but ONLY because I search for, and CONSTANTLY FIND numerous cruises that are priced UNDER $50pp/night.

If someone "MUST" cruise in a balcony, (or a suite) or only on Crystal and Regent, they have absolutely NO business complaining about prices. :rolleyes:

If I weren't already booked on a RCCL cruise along the US west coast, I would have DEFINITELY jumped on this Celebrity Constellation B2B cruise in the Med.

Mon Oct 10 Venice, Italy 5:00pm

Tue Oct 11 Dubrovnik, Croatia 2:00pm

Wed Oct 12 Dubrovnik, Croatia 8:00pm

Thu Oct 13 Kotor, Montenegro 7:00am 4:00pm

Fri Oct 14 At Sea

Sat Oct 15 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm

Sun Oct 16 Salerno, Italy 7:00am 7:30pm

Mon Oct 17 Catania, Sicily, Italy 9:00am 6:00pm

Tue Oct 18 At Sea

Wed Oct 19 Rhodes, Greece 7:00am 6:00pm

Thu Oct 20 Athens (Piraeus), Greece Noon

Fri Oct 21 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

Sat Oct 22 At Sea

Sun Oct 23 Ephesus / Kusadasi, Turkey 7:00am 7:00pm

Mon Oct 24 Rhodes, Greece 7:00am 5:00pm

Tue Oct 25 Limassol, Cyprus 10:00am 6:00pm

Wed Oct 26 Haifa, Israel 7:00am 9:30pm

Thu Oct 27 Jerusalem / Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel 6:30am

Fri Oct 28 Jerusalem / Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel 8:30pm

Sat Oct 29 At Sea

Sun Oct 30 At Sea

Mon Oct 31 Valletta, Malta Noon 8:00pm

Tue Nov 1 At Sea

Wed Nov 2 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

The first leg was only $409pp, and the second leg was only $526pp. :eek:

23 nights on Celebrity for $935pp... to ALL OF *T*H*O*S*E* ports... :cool:

But of course there are people who will complain that taxes and tips are not included... even though the vast majority of cruise lines advertise ALL of their prices in similar fashion... :rolleyes:

And of course there are people who will complain that air fare is not included... even though AIR2SEA has ridiculously inexpensive flights from almost any city in the US, and flights from other European cities are even LESS...

If you don't like an inside cabin... DON'T GO!

If you don't like THIS ship... DON'T GO!

If you don't like THIS itinerary... DON'T GO!

If you don't like THIS time of year... DON'T GO!

If you don't like the cost of your "NEEDED" business or first class flights...DON'T GO!

Just QUIT COMPLAINING that cruises cost too much!!!!!

I am not sure that your rant has brought much to the party. The OP is from the UK and would not have been able to purchase the two cruises you cite for such an advantageous price or anything like it.

While I am not an expert on pricing in the US, I suspect your knowledge of pricing in the UK is equally sketchy.

The OP was not complaining, just voicing his thoughts. His opinions are just as valid as yours.

Edited by Spursgirl

I am not sure that your rant has brought much to the party. The OP is from the UK and would not have been able to purchase the two cruises you cite for such an advantageous price or anything like it.

While I am not an expert on pricing in the US, I suspect your knowledge of pricing in the UK is sketchy.

The OP was not wringing or complaining just giving his opinion which is equally valid to yours

Anyone in the UK has access to those prices. You just book through a US travel agent. I'm in the UK and do it all the time as do thousands of other UK based cruise critic members. :)

There are pros and cons for a Brit using US and UK travel agents. You just need to do your research and understand the differences in t's & c's and then be vigilant.

The Connie itineraries above bombed in price as originally the ship was to spend time in Istanbul. Many Americans and others then cancelled and Celebrity were forced to change the itinerary. As a result bookings dipped and they were forced to lower the prices so drastically. This is not a regular occurrence. Hope that all makes sense?

From my perspective, over the long haul prices have been very stable.

I still have invoices from my Century and Millenium sailings twenty years ago. A standard balcony then cost me $200/night with none of the percs I receive today. It's not the same white glove service, but but that's the trade-off for holding the line on price.

You really need to define what you consider a deal. For me, fair price for a balcony on X is around $180/night with one perc. Extra percs or anything under $150/ night is a "deal". By that standard, next years Equinox offerings represent an outstanding value.

A little snarky there, aren't you, teecee60? No excuse for your unwarranted ramblings.

A little overly sensitive there, aren't you 67Miner?

YOUR post is a direct personal attack on me instead of a discussion of the subject matter of cruise prices and associated costs, cruise itineraries, and strategies for finding the best value and deals discussed in other posts, not just in THIS thread but numerous other threads as well.

My post was not "ramblings" but primarily a series of factual statements, directly responding to the two quoted posts...

...as well as a list of replies to the anticipated statements from other/later posts that inevitably and constantly complain about the issues I addressed in advance. Look at the MANY other/similar threads on this board bemoaning the high costs of cruising.

If you "FEEL" my posts are "unwarranted," please "feel" free to ignore them. ;)

It requires serious budgeting and saving for me to cruise. I love Celebrity and am constantly looking for a bargain to enable me to cruise again next year.

In the last 3 years I have sailed an all inclusive Caribbean fly-cruise, a Transatlantic where I have booked my own flights, hotel and transfers, and a Mediterranean cruise also with the add-ons booked independently. In my opinion the cruise prices have risen over the last 3 years. I have tried each time to keep the costs down, but the costs end up quite similar. I only had a 'free' beverage package on the last one so that definitely helped. I would really like to cruise from the UK, but for some reason those cruises are so much higher priced than others.

I look at the US websites too, and although overall most prices are cheaper than booking in the UK I worry about changes in the exchange rate that could seriously damage my budget. But I have noticed that there is still the same distinct difference between prices in $US for a Caribbean cruise compared to a European cruise. Not taking flights and add-ons into account the difference between the cruise price for 14 nights cruising in Europe compared with the same in the Caribbean is quite noticeable. It works out cheaper for me to fly to Florida and cruise for 14 nights than to just cruise in Europe.

I just hope I can still keep having my cruise holidays, especially with Celebrity, and that prices do not get out of reach for me.

While I am not an expert on pricing in the US, I suspect your knowledge of pricing in the UK is equally sketchy.

The OP was not complaining, just voicing his thoughts. His opinions are just as valid as yours.

They might not get "that" deal but there are tons out there. I'm on a couple of primary UK based chat sites and the Celebrity deals are plentiful.

Thoughts please.

What's gone up for me is the exchange rate, not the base price. Are you sure you're not seeing the same thing? Pound doesn't buy as much as it used to.

They might not get "that" deal but there are tons out there. I'm on a couple of primary UK based chat sites and the Celebrity deals are plentiful.

I'm on about every UK forum and Celebrity deals are hard to predict. It takes regular checks on pricing to be able to spot a good deal. We don't have anything like the Tuesday specials that they do in the US and whilst we can book them with a US agent the poor exchange range makes these deals less viable.

I'm a little worried that this thread has turned a tad aggressive for no reason at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Celebrity Silhouette 22nd October this year sailing out of Rome for 14 nights.

A US travel agent is charging £765 (based on todays exchange rate) plus taxes for a balcony room. They are including $75 OBC plus one perk of your choice. You also have the option to spend $15 for each additional perk etc

So £54.64 per person per night and if you want, free drinks included. In my opinion, that's a very good deal. It offers better 'value' than the cheap inside cabin deals listed too as for $26 per night you're upgrading from an inside to balcony with included booze when factoring in the OBC. Remember this is an S class ship also.

EDITED TO ADD: Book direct with Celebrity UK and the lowest price balcony offer for a guaranteed verandah room is £956 per person with no perks.

Edited by Mynki

I'm going on my second cruise this Christmas. I realize it's peak time and will command a higher price. I'm paying $3000 for a 7 night Southern Caribbean people for 3 people in an inside state room. That's not even including gratuities which is a whole other can of worms. (Quit pretending you're giving me a cheaper price while guilt tripping me with all but mandatory gratuities for your poor and starving employees. Pay them a livable wage and lets quit with the charade.)

I'm paying over $425 a night for room and board in a tin can. I spent roughly $7-8000 on a 19 day road trip out west in 12 states and 6000 miles. That included some hotel rooms north of $200 a night, $900 Grand Canyon helicopter flight, $700 Lamborghini Aventador track experience, $600 Cirque Du Soleil Beatles Love show, etc.

About the only thing that makes cruising feasible for me is being able to visit multiple Caribbean islands that flying to each one makes cost prohibitive. My work schedule doesn't allow last minute cruise deals.

Add in ridiculous sports venue pricing for drinks on the boat ($6 beers, $4 cokes), it's not a "deal" to me. Unless I plan on being a full on drunk or inserting a catheter to handle all the cokes I must drink to make a drink package worth it, drink packages aren't for me.

All that said, I get that some people love cruising and think it's worth it. I've weighed my options for some of my travel plans and cruising is the best option but that will be a rarity. Hopefully I'll reach retirement age and be able to get some of these $200 cruises I keep hearing about.:)

I think they've gone up overall. Yes, there are some deals but the only work if they fit your schedule. And no, I don't sail in an inside as it's not what I like. I spend a lot of time on the balcony so I always get a balcony cabin. Can I find a cheaper cruise, sure but I could also find a much cheaper house, car, pretty much everything in life.

So, I'm not looking for the cheapest price I can find, just like I don't look for the cheapest car or house I can. Just not what I want. So for what I want, comparing apples to apples the prices have gone up. Looking at the recent Equinox sale that was going on and it was almost $1,000 more for a balcony than I paid for this December.

So just becasue you can get something for cheap doesn't make it a bargain.

I think they've gone up overall. Yes, there are some deals but the only work if they fit your schedule. And no, I don't sail in an inside as it's not what I like. I spend a lot of time on the balcony so I always get a balcony cabin. Can I find a cheaper cruise, sure but I could also find a much cheaper house, car, pretty much everything in life.

So, I'm not looking for the cheapest price I can find, just like I don't look for the cheapest car or house I can. Just not what I want. So for what I want, comparing apples to apples the prices have gone up. Looking at the recent Equinox sale that was going on and it was almost $1,000 more for a balcony than I paid for this December.

The flip side is, just because you paid a lot of money for it, doesn't make it better.

Totally agree with what you say! When I retired, after years of having totally inflexible holiday times I was sure I would really benefit from last minute bargains, off peak times....

Unfortunately I have realised I am very room faddy, know exactly the itineraries I want and I like the security of booking well in advance!

As you say, if you compromise on what you want it isn't a bargain!

We have done well booking almost as itineraries come out....rooms we want seem to either sell out or go up in cost.

I think our stance would be to cruise less often but still book exactly what we want. Many people on our cruises may have booked a B2B for what we have paid for a single cruise - no issue we have all got what is important to us.

As I said in an earlier post 'I would budget hard and give up lots of other things before I gave up cruising'.

Equally important is about making the most of the time you have, more people regret what they haven't experienced in life than what they have! Owing to unfortunate health issues my October cruise has had to be cancelled, you never know what tomorrow may bring. Money in the bank doesn't add to your memory store!

If anyone is reading this is considering 'pushing' themselves financially to book another cruise, or to try an upgrade I would just say 'Go for it!'

Totally agree with what you say! When I retired, after years of having totally inflexible holiday times I was sure I would really benefit from last minute bargains, off peak times....

Unfortunately I have realised I am very room faddy, know exactly the itineraries I want and I like the security of booking well in advance!

As you say, if you compromise on what you want it isn't a bargain!

We have done well booking almost as itineraries come out....rooms we want seem to either sell out or go up in cost.

I think our stance would be to cruise less often but still book exactly what we want. Many people on our cruises may have booked a B2B for what we have paid for a single cruise - no issue we have all got what is important to us.

As I said in an earlier post 'I would budget hard and give up lots of other things before I gave up cruising'.

Equally important is about making the most of the time you have, more people regret what they haven't experienced in life than what they have! Owing to unfortunate health issues my October cruise has had to be cancelled, you never know what tomorrow may bring. Money in the bank doesn't add to your memory store!

If anyone is reading this is considering 'pushing' themselves financially to book another cruise, or to try an upgrade I would just say 'Go for it!'

Isn't it funny how we are all different? I do not like to book far out and usually book cruises 6-8 weeks in advance and usually no more than three months.

I am prepared to make some compromises but if what is available isn't for me I just find another cruise.

Aren't we fortunate to have these choices?

Our first proper cruise in 1995 was on P&O Oriana in a deluxe balcony cabin, cost was £4199. A quick look on the Celebrity website at a similar time of year, came up with a 10 day cruise next year in Aqua on Connie for £4180!