Would you dress formally still IF...

LMaxwell

If there were NO photographers for formal evenings would you dress formally?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. If there were NO photographers for formal evenings would you dress formally?

• Less inclined; we dress for the opportunity to have nice pictures done
    • Same; we dress formal because we enjoy it, with or without photos
    • More inclined; it would feel more special without photographers interrupting our dinners

Interesting question, never thought about this! I'm less inclined to dress up generally, have even changed my cruising habits to include more casual cruises, but when I cruise Royal, we often dress up at least once (dark suit and cocktail dress) primarily to get some nice photos (especially since we get a couple for free;)) I guess without the photography, we'd be even less inclined to dress. If DD means more official acceptance of casual dress in more venues, I'd be more inclined to cruise Royal more often.

We usually don't get the pictures, so for us, yes. We like to dress for formal night. It, for us, is a nice experience and a nice evening. Something we don't do at home. It's part of the "tradition" of cruising.

I actually like the idea on Quantum and Allure of a Formal Only restaurant. Let's you pick your own formal night, and allows those who don't want to dress up to not worry about it. Seems like a good solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by papaflamingo

We bought a photo from Formal night on one cruise, the first one of just the two of us dressed up since we got married, and I herself bought one of me from one formal night to put on her desk at work :eek: I think she uses it to scare people :rolleyes:

Last cruise we only took one photo and that was at boarding. We still dresses for formal night and that included DH, DS (19), and me. No questions from anyone, we all appreciate the special evening.

I do not get why people book a cruise knowing there is a formal/elegant night or whatever you want to call it and then balk when that night comes around. Or, for that matter, start threads about it or complain on other threads about it over and over.

I have no use for photographers.

Gee thanks what did I ever do to you.

But in seriousness the ones on ships are just trying to make a buck. It's a pity that they don't actually put about half the number of photographers on the ship and let them take photos of people who are actually interested in them and not make them hustle the rest.

Last cruise we only took one photo and that was at boarding. We still dresses for formal night and that included DH, DS (19), and me. No questions from anyone, we all appreciate the special evening.

I do not get why people book a cruise knowing there is a formal/elegant night or whatever you want to call it and then balk when that night comes around. Or, for that matter, start threads about it or complain on other threads about it over and over.

Or insert the topic into threads about photographs.

If there were NO formal nights, we wouldn't bring our "finery" on a Caribbean cruise....but, we don't mind dressing up and looking good, even if not required!

We actually brought formal clothes to Vegas on one of our trips there, just to get all glammed" up one evening...and there's NO "dress code" in Vegas!!!

Sometimes, it's just nice to look and feel good!

Edited by cb at sea

Just take the question for what it is. No need to read more into it or turn this topic into something it isn't. There are PLENTY of threads dealing with those other aspects if you want to participate there. Let's stay on the topic here.

We really like to dress up. It's part of the fun. We go dancing see the shows etc. pictures are not that important but we get some taken just to remember the occasion. Looking forward our next in November.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's exactly how we feel & why we dress also. We definitely don't dress up for the cameras/pictures. Sorry, doesn't sound like your suppositions are being confirmed by most, OP!

Formal night or not, photographers or not, I no longer choose to dress formally.

Im already over the tux thing. It was fun the first couple of times but Im over it. I already have a over priced 8X10 of me dressed in said attire.

I will now be wearing kahkis, a polo shirt and decent dress shoes to the MDR, even on formal night, and if the fashion police here want to call me a slob because of it, so be it. Im sure Ive been called a lot worse. Hopefully on my next cruise, Dynamic Dining will be in place and there wont even be a MDR.

No more formal wear for this guy. I would NEVER think of wearing shorts to the MDR. Its hard enough for me to put on a bathing suit because of my pasty white, atrophied muscle "chicken legs" from being paralyzed for 25 years. I feel like I look like a potato with two toothpicks hanging out of it. But I dont care if you or whoever else wears shorts. Im not one to get twisted over what others wear like some people around here do :rolleyes:

Edited by ryano