More stops at Costa Maya?

Carnival has added stops at Costa Maya for many of their cruises from Galveston and New Orleans. The Fantasy from Mobile also goes to Costa Maya pretty frequently (even though apparently it's having trouble making it there before 3pm each time). I wonder why the push to call more at Costa Maya which, if we're being honest, doesn't offer much.

Carnival has added stops at Costa Maya for many of their cruises from Galveston and New Orleans. The Fantasy from Mobile also goes to Costa Maya pretty frequently (even though apparently it's having trouble making it there before 3pm each time). I wonder why the push to call more at Costa Maya which, if we're being honest, doesn't offer much.

That port is a waste.

While we actually like having a port stop in Costa Maya, we would NOT if our ship didn't get there until 3 PM. :(

While we actually like having a port stop in Costa Maya, we would NOT if our ship didn't get there until 3 PM. :(

I agree. I sail on the Fantasy next month and I'm not going to be thrilled about being docked from 3-9pm. The captain keeps blaming the delays on currents, but I think she may be having propulsion issues again. :o

I enjoyed Costa Maya, but I booked a private excursion to Dzibanche and Kinichna. My guide and I were literally the only living people at both spots. We ended up going to (the much more crowded) Chacchoben as well, on the way back.

But yeah, not getting there until 3 pm would obviously ruin that.

We have been to Costa Maya twice, and are going back the third time on our Thanksgiving cruise. The town of Mahuhal is about 5 minutes from the port. You can take the $3 shuttle (right at the very end of the port area) into town. There are four stops on the shuttle. The first stop is at the beginning of the town beach walk-say (Melancon). This is closest to Blue Kay. The second and third stops are in the middle-part of the town/beach walk-way, and the fourth stop is at the end. There are many beach clubs (restaurants/bars) along the beach walk-way. The shuttle driver will try to talk you into getting off at the first stop (whatever club he gets incentives for). You can research Costa Maya/Mahuhal and see which reviews/places might suit you the best. Last year we spent the day at the Krazy Lobster (second stoop). We had an ocean-front shaded table and beach chairs (no charge for this). Very lively music and good service. The drinks and food were good and very reasonable. They had free kayaks that you could use. The kids played in the sand/ocean/kayaked and we just relaxed. We did the entire day for less than 50 dollars (the cost of drinks and food all day). You take the taxi back to the dock (just $2 per person). Both years we did not make advanced reservations and had no problems getting a table/spot. There are vendors that walk by but they are very polite. We actually purchased a few souvenirs for about a quarter of the price as compared to the dock/ship prices. There are also places along the beach that you can book a snorkeling trips, etc. We are planning on going back to the Krazy Lobster this year again. We like being close to the ship, and not having to pre-book anything. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips! We're going there next month and I wasn't sure what to do! :D

We have been to Costa Maya twice, and are going back the third time on our Thanksgiving cruise. The town of Mahuhal is about 5 minutes from the port. You can take the $3 shuttle (right at the very end of the port area) into town. There are four stops on the shuttle. The first stop is at the beginning of the town beach walk-say (Melancon). This is closest to Blue Kay. The second and third stops are in the middle-part of the town/beach walk-way, and the fourth stop is at the end. There are many beach clubs (restaurants/bars) along the beach walk-way. The shuttle driver will try to talk you into getting off at the first stop (whatever club he gets incentives for). You can research Costa Maya/Mahuhal and see which reviews/places might suit you the best. Last year we spent the day at the Krazy Lobster (second stoop). We had an ocean-front shaded table and beach chairs (no charge for this). Very lively music and good service. The drinks and food were good and very reasonable. They had free kayaks that you could use. The kids played in the sand/ocean/kayaked and we just relaxed. We did the entire day for less than 50 dollars (the cost of drinks and food all day). You take the taxi back to the dock (just $2 per person). Both years we did not make advanced reservations and had no problems getting a table/spot. There are vendors that walk by but they are very polite. We actually purchased a few souvenirs for about a quarter of the price as compared to the dock/ship prices. There are also places along the beach that you can book a snorkeling trips, etc. We are planning on going back to the Krazy Lobster this year again. We like being close to the ship, and not having to pre-book anything. Hope this helps.

I've been looking at cruises that do go to Costa Maya because we want a different view for a change. We've been on 20 cruises and are tired of the same itineraries. There are very few places we have not been to and want a new experience.

The port at Costa Maya itself is a waste... but get out and go to Mahahual, and that's another story. That's worth the trip. So much better than Progreso, the vendors there drive me crazy. They even bothered me when I was having a massage on the beach. Damn.

Yes in Costa Maya, do head for the malecon. There are places open in the evening. Fernandos (great food usually only open for dinner now), and Busters are 2. The bar at Nacional Beach Club is usually hopping with people. Evan makes one of the best margaritas in the area. Likewise the bar at 40 Cancones (Pez Quadro) is open.There are divers and land based tourists staying in the hotels there. I would be surprised if the beach clubs don't stay open when ships arrive later in the afternoon, especially in the summer months when sunset is after 8P.

As for the AI's south of the main malecon, Almaplena and Maya Chan, you'll need to contact them to see if they are open. I'd be a bit hesitant to head there with just around 5 hours or less time in port. (remember it'll be 3:30P or so before you depart the ship and add another 20 minutes to get a taxi and have it take you there, plus the same on return which you'll need to be back on board by 8:30PM).

Best to check with Native Choice on ruins tours in late afternoon. Not sure if ruins are open for visitors that late (closer to 5P before you'll get any). If offered by ship that may be the way you'll have to go.

I stayed at the port on my first trip to Costa Maya in 2015 and hated it. Since then I've been back 4 times and it has become one of my favorite ports. The trick is to get away from the cruise terminal. It's a great location for eco-tourism. There are tons of Mayan ruins in the area.

Going there next month for the first time. Already reserved a spot at Tropicante. I've read the mixed reviews but I'm thinking it must be better than Progresso.

This!

Our family used to think Costa Maya was a 'wasted' port too. Now, it's our favorite western port! Great beach at Tropicante, wonderful food, cheap drinks and the most inexpensive massages right under the palm trees.:)

The port at Costa Maya itself is a waste... but get out and go to Mahahual, and that's another story. That's worth the trip. So much better than Progreso, the vendors there drive me crazy. They even bothered me when I was having a massage on the beach. Damn.

We did a Carnival excursion in Costa Maya so I guess that's why I felt like there's not much there. We went to Chacchoben which was fun but felt very commercialized doing the tour with the cruise line.

I stayed at the port on my first trip to Costa Maya in 2015 and hated it. Since then I've been back 4 times and it has become one of my favorite ports. The trick is to get away from the cruise terminal. It's a great location for eco-tourism. There are tons of Mayan ruins in the area.

Your advice is well taken. It can apply to almost all ports, but especially those like Costa Maya, Amber Cove, Mahogany Bay, Ocho Rios and MoBay.

The first time I went there the beach area was nothing more than a dirt road and people had camping gear set up to cook for you. We had the best time EVER...we had our chairs by a little palm tree...had 6 buckets of beer, fish tacos and bought some hot sauce and our bill was under 40.00. It was one of my best port days ever. I have been there since now that it is built up and I love it..but not the same as when it was very "rustic"