good books

tweety522

Great question....I will follow to get inspiration!

Personally I love historical biographies. 'The final Curtsey' being my last cruise choice. So easy to pick up and put down. Also find Dick Francis novels and my all time favourite Agatha Christie entertaining.

The key thing for me with cruise reading is you are often half asleep when reading and there is a lot of picking up and putting down....So those complicated plots, complicated characters and twist in the tale thrillers don't get loaded on my iPad! At least not when cruising!

Look forward to reading others suggestions.

I did read Girl on the train and liked it. The others I have not read. I like a variety of books, historical ,romantic, beachy, I also agree with Chemmo something I can pick up and put down easily

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Before the fall, Invincible summer, All the missing girls, any Clive Cussler or James Patterson, The lake house (kate morton) The sound of glass, all the light we cannot see, crazy rich asians,

Most are from a list of good travel/cruise books that I found somewhere.

For lighter, but still well written books I recommend Crazy Rich Asians and Where'd you go Bernadette. For slightly more of a literary feel, I LOVE The Night Circus. For historical fiction, Michelle Moran is my current favorite author, particularly her book Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Hi

Headed to the Caribbean on the Reflection next week. Any good book recommendations ?

Great thread! I am always looking for a good book and especially so before a cruise. I want to make sure I have one I'm looking forward to and one as a backup! Also, we might be on the same cruise. We are on the Reflection beginning 2/25.

A few good books I've read recently are:

Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance (memoir)

Ordinary Grace by William Ken Krueger

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly

I am Pilgrim: A Thriller by Terry Hayes (great book if you like thrillers! one of the best I've read recently)

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica really good-sort of a psychological thriller, if you like Gone Girl you might like this)

Love Warrier by Glennon Doyle Melton (memoir)

Any of Daniel Silva's novels!!

The Paris Architect by Charles Belfoure

I just pulled up my library on my iPad and these are a few I could really recommend. They are all over the place as far as type! I've written down several others have mentioned as well. Thanks!

Martha

Hi

Headed to the Caribbean on the Reflection next week. Any good book recommendations ?

I always try to save an unread book by Janet Evanovich for a cruise. She always makes me laugh! The Plum novels by her are especially entertaining for a fast, fun read. Not great literature by any means, but amusing.

On my Caribbean cruise last week, I read two books. One was The Woman in Cabin 10. It was a Kindle freebie. Not a great book, but it was interesting and had a good plot. Kept me intrigued.

The latest historic fiction I read was from the Midwife Series...Harem Midwife. The Midwife of Venice preceded it.

Also read an older novel, recently re-released by Karen White, called Spinning the Moon . It was a historical fiction. I love Karen White for beach reads. I am currently reading the latest of her Tradd Street series.

Another Kindle freebie, in the mystery category, is Everything We Keep: A Novel by Kerry Lonsdale.

Danielle Steel- Rushing Waters, Property of a Noblewoman, any of the Call The Midwife Books by Jennifer Worth

Any book by Elin Hilderbrand.

All easy reads which you can pick up and put down as necessary.

Edited by stoddaj1

I have just downloaded onto my Kindle after much research:Jodie Piccoult - The Storyteller

Liane Moriarty - Big Little Lies

Tana French - the last 2 books in The Dublin Murder Squad

Joanna Trollope - A Passionate Man

Some great titles here. Loved Bernadette! Recommend Still Life With Bread Crumbs, Anna Quindlen. Just had great discussion in book club last night on it. I had already read it but enjoyed it even more when I reread it during my January cruise!

If looking for easy to read and fun cozy mysteries, besides the Stephanie Plum series, read the Agatha Raisin series, but be sure to begin with the first, Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death. By M.C. Beaton. I read one on a plane ride to Florida for a cruise and another on the way home. Quick reads but Agatha Raisin is a hooooot.

Some great titles here. Loved Bernadette! Recommend Still Life With Bread Crumbs, Anna Quindlen. Just had great discussion in book club last night on it. I had already read it but enjoyed it even more when I reread it during my January cruise!

If looking for easy to read and fun cozy mysteries, besides the Stephanie Plum series, read the Agatha Raisin series, but be sure to begin with the first, Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death. By M.C. Beaton. I read one on a plane ride to Florida for a cruise and another on the way home. Quick reads but Agatha Raisin is a hooooot.

Love these suggestions!

Have you already come across the Lucky and Led Cruise ship mystery series? The author David P Remy is a Catholic priest who has sailed extensively on Royal Caribbean.

Also easy to read in ebook Rachel Abbott.

I'd recommend my favourite books - the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon (now a tv series too) but they are too good and you wouldn't want to put them down. I like to read something lighter like a Danielle Steel - good enough to keep you interested but not good enough to stop you from putting it down when something else is on.

I love audiobooks :) I fall asleep to them and you can listen to them on planes and certainly by the pool. I loved the Walt Longmire series on audiobooks, the narrator is one of the best George Guidall.

Dangerous Davies : The Last Detective by Leslie Thomas.Quite an old book but good plot & well written. Humourus in parts, it's the tale of a detective who's the last one to be called upon unless no-one else wants the job. He stumbles upon the unsolved disappearance of a young girl & sets out to solve the case.

On the subject of books, anyone know if the Silo still has books in their library or if the library is more for show/decor now? I don't have a kindle or tablet - and don't bother bringing any tech other than my phone with me when I sail. I'm on a computer 12 hours a day and love to curl up with an actual book on vacation. I know...I'm a weird throwback. :)

They had a few I enjoyed last year. Do passengers ever donate their paperbacks when they depart?