A bottle on scotch at embarkation

nbsjcruiser

Now before anyone jumps to conclusions - I'm not sneaking a bottle on board our upcoming cruise (tomorrow). We bought this bottle on a previous cruise and its destined to go home with me as a gift so I'm above board with it - not trying to sneak it in. What do I do with this bottle when I arrive at the pier? I don't want to put it in my luggage and have someone throw it out because I was trying to be a naughty boy. I want to be honest and upfront with it. Do I bring it in with my wine, show them at check in that I have it and ask that they hold it for me? I want to make sure it is handed back to me on the last night of the cruise.

thanks

Just give it to a Security person as you go through the check when you board the ship.

EDIT: ... and mention you'd like it back at the end of the cruise... LOL.

Edited by Bill B

Now before anyone jumps to conclusions - I'm not sneaking a bottle on board our upcoming cruise (tomorrow). We bought this bottle on a previous cruise and its destined to go home with me as a gift so I'm above board with it - not trying to sneak it in. What do I do with this bottle when I arrive at the pier? I don't want to put it in my luggage and have someone throw it out because I was trying to be a naughty boy. I want to be honest and upfront with it. Do I bring it in with my wine, show them at check in that I have it and ask that they hold it for me? I want to make sure it is handed back to me on the last night of the cruise.

Yes, you can leave it with them at embarkation, just like the way you do for liquor you purchase at other ports.

Just give it to a Security person as you go through the check when you board the ship.

EDIT: ... and mention you'd like it back at the end of the cruise... LOL.

Depends on the embarkation port. Some are strict others not so much.

From our experience.........

When boarding (embarkation port) there are no Ship security at the initial check.

Pier security will probably not take it or let you take it on.

They could care less what you want to do and will most likely dispose of it.

There instructions are wine only and NO ALCOHOL.

If its a port stop then thats a different story.

OP you may trying to put it in your luggage and write a note on the bottle letting them know your intentions.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Yep. There will be a table for wine check-in. They will take the bottle and give you a receipt.

My DH bought some rum in port on one of our last cruises. We had it in a bag, stapled, with the duty-free receipt on it. When we got on board, we actually carried it in our hand. We asked where to go, and security just shook their head and pointed to the stairs... We were disembarking the next day, so I wonder if they just did not care at that point.

Edit: I misunderstood the OP. I thought this was at a port stop, not initial embarkation.

PS, if you do what Keith said, wrap it really, really well...

Edited by TracieABD

When boarding (embarkation port) there are no Ship security at the initial check.

Pier security will probably not take it or let you take it on.

They could care less what you want to do and will most likely dispose of it.

There instructions are wine only and NO ALCOHOL.

I've never heard of "pier security" doing the confiscating. Once clear of the x-ray machines you will be directed to take your bottles to a table staffed with the ship's crew who will pass you through, or charge corkage fees, or "hold for your safekeeping" as appropriate.

OP you may trying to put it in your luggage and write a note on the bottle letting them know your intentions.

ANY non-permitted alcohol found in suitcases sent to the "naughty room"--including wine greater than one 750 ml bottle per adult--is automatically discarded. The odds of them taking the time to read a note attached is pretty much zero.

I know its too late now, however, you probably would have been better off buying the scotch on this upcoming cruise instead of on the first cruise. Way less hassle even if it would have cost a little more than where you bought it on the first cruise.

FWIW, at this point I would carry it on and hope that the wine-check desk will take it for safe keeping until the end of the cruise. Good luck and have a great cruise on the Regal. :)

Edited by ar1950

I've never heard of "pier security" doing the confiscating. Once clear of the x-ray machines you will be directed to take your bottles to a table staffed with the ship's crew who will pass you through, or charge corkage fees, or "hold for your safekeeping" as appropriate.

Then you have not sailed from San Pedro. They took all alcohol they found. They came close to confiscating my 12 packs of water. They shook it and it had too many bubbles for their liking. However they let it go.

Watched them for an hour. They ripped several passengers luggage to pieces. People with alcohol never made it to the wine table.

ANY non-permitted alcohol found in suitcases sent to the "naughty room"--including wine greater than one 750 ml bottle per adult--is automatically discarded. The odds of them taking the time to read a note attached is pretty much zero.

I beg to differ. We had friends called down and were present when the staff opened the luggage onboard. They had 2 bottles of alcohol and they were held until the end of the cruise.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

If I was you, I would carry it with your wine...when you check in with your wine, I would explain what you are doing and ask them to hold the bottle. If you go to the port early, some times no one is checking on even wine... in that case you can simply carry it with you and hold yourself til the end of the cruise.

Usually the scanners, will only refer you to the wine table if it is up and running. If not, which is sometimes the case if you go early, the scanners could care less what you have.

I beg to differ. We had friends called down and were present when the staff opened the luggage onboard. They had 2 bottles of alcohol and they were held until the end of the cruise.

Apparently the procedure may vary from time to time and from place to place. On our Nov. 2013 cruise we met some folks from the UK in the embarkation lounge in San Pedro and one of the guys said he had packed a special scotch that they hoped to enjoy from time to time during the cruise. Later, on board, we saw them and the guy was pretty upset. He got called down to the "naughty room" where he was told his special scotch was now confiscated and would be destroyed. He said he didn't believe that they would actually destroy it and wanted to witness it with his own eyes. The crew guys then opened his bottle and unceremoniously dumped it down the drain. YMMV. Cheers.

They will not open a locked suitcase.

So if it is detected in checked luggage, you will be called to the "naughty room" to open your suitcase.

Whether or not they will then be willing to keep it for you to the end of the cruise is a question that cannot be answered until that time.

If taking booze on board, is so important then cruise with P&O. You can take Gin etc on board at any port for in cabin use. Oh and wine and beer.

Happy cruising.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

Once clear of the x-ray machines you will be directed to take your bottles to a table staffed with the ship's crew who will pass you through, or charge corkage fees, or "hold for your safekeeping" as appropriate.

If the wine table is there at all. Four Princess Cruises this year with a table set up at only two. One cruise that had the table set up but was so overwhelmed you could have just walked on by and no one would have known the difference.

If the wine table is there at all. Four Princess Cruises this year with a table set up at only two. One cruise that had the table set up but was so overwhelmed you could have just walked on by and no one would have known the difference.

As I stated in San Pedro for example you won't even get to the wine table with a bottle of alcohol.

Why?

Wouldn't it be more fair to steal a bottle from the shops onboard?

P.S. this is exactly why it shouldn't be possible to cancel tips.

It would be a different story if a person were trying to smuggle it aboard but if they were upfront about it Princess should not have dumped it & held it like any distant port.

It would be a different story if a person were trying to smuggle it aboard but if they were upfront about it Princess should not have dumped it & held it like any distant port.

To book the cruise, you have to accept the passage contract.

The contract says exactly what they will do.

"...where any alcohol found in violation ... will be removed and discarded..."

This is like so many other threads here --

"I know what the rules are, but do they apply to me?"

It's like second grade.

If you would like to review the entire policy, the contract is here:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Passage_Contract.pdf

If you don't agree with it, simply don't accept it.

Why?

Wouldn't it be more fair to steal a bottle from the shops onboard?

P.S. this is exactly why it shouldn't be possible to cancel tips.

Agreed! Why punish people not even involved with the situation by canceling gratuities? And I also agree with your P.S.! But that's another subject completely.

Tom

Are you saying the OP should not use a drone to fly the whisky on board? ;)

Actually, I don't get the issue.

Tell friend at home that it is not allowed to carry whiskey on board.

Drink said whiskey. If needed, seek assistance of others in check in line.

Problem solved.

P.S. Friends don't let friends fly drones after drinking whiskey.

To book the cruise, you have to accept the passage contract.

The contract says exactly what they will do.

"...where any alcohol found in violation ... will be removed and discarded..."

This is like so many other threads here --

"I know what the rules are, but do they apply to me?"

It's like second grade.

If you would like to review the entire policy, the contract is here:

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Passage_Contract.pdf

If you don't agree with it, simply don't accept it.

I know, but it's fun to bend them every so often. :D

I was called to the "naughty room" once. I had some small bottles all grouped together in a case in my locked bag. I showed them they opened one and said the bag would be brought to our cabin. They didn't open our bag and other than didn't get unpacked before diner that trip no big deal.

Now on wine, I took 1 bottle of Asti in Oct. 2015 was never even asked, was I supposed to claim this? It was in my carry on tote. Nobody said anything. Later I was told we could take a bottle each with no fee (unlike NCL fee for each) up to one each after that they charge. Plan to bring some next May and want to do it right is wine OK or will I be charged a corkage fee?

Plan to bring some next May and want to do it right is wine OK or will I be charged a corkage fee?

One bottle of wine per adult passenger can be brought onto the ship at embarkation without paying a corkage fee. If you bring it to a dining room, you will be charged a corkage fee then. No corkage fee if you drink it in your cabin.

Additional bottles of wine may be brought on board at embarkation with the payment of the corkage fee before you board the ship (may be charged to your on board account). You may consume those in the dining room without an additional corkage fee.