To Suite or Not to Suite - that is the question

Robinsoncruiseso

We are planning to book a three night cruise from LA to Vancouver as part of a land/sea short vacation. We normally book balcony cabins, having booked a mini only once. We cruise 2-4 times a year and are elite on Princess. Debating booking a Vista Suite on this cruise, do to the affordability (overall, not per night cost). This might be the only time we would consider booking a suite. For those who cruise in both balconies and suites, do you find it a nice change, or ???

Is it worth it to us? Price difference is only about $600, it is within our budget, but will we be spoiled and never want to go back to balcony? It is an all sea day trip, no ports. We are normally quite active, but given we are using this as transportation to get home, might relax a bit more. I guess my main concern would be not wanting to move back to balcony cabins, which would significantly reduce the amount of cruising we could do. Thoughts?

It is mainly up to you. If you are in no rush to leave the ship early, then you will be able to enjoy the suite only breakfast at one of the specialty restaurants. Free laundry and a few other things. One perk that may be worth is that it will count as a two cruises rather than one toward the Captain's circle if you are not already Elite.

We have never been on a regular balcony room. We always get either a mini suite or a suite (once :) ) as there are four of us. On our next cruise, we booked a regular balcony. We will see how it works for us.

Yes, it will be extremely difficult (and a hardship) to return to a balcony; but doable. Things to keep in mind:

You will not get the free specialty dinner (need a 7 day cruise). BUT....I would order dinner from the MDR and eat it in my suite the first night. The MDR is so crazy awful on the first night of short cruises.

Sabatini's breakfast is well worth a suite treat. BUT...it is not available on your last morning.

Most of the other perks are ones you are already receiving for being Elite.

If...there are many, many, many Elites, you might be able to board "first".

I've done short cruises in a suite and it was very pleasant.

Yes, it will be extremely difficult (and a hardship) to return to a balcony; but doable. Things to keep in mind:

You will not get the free specialty dinner (need a 7 day cruise). BUT....I would order dinner from the MDR and eat it in my suite the first night. The MDR is so crazy awful on the first night of short cruises.

Sabatini's breakfast is well worth a suite treat. BUT...it is not available on your last morning.

Most of the other perks are ones you are already receiving for being Elite.

If...there are many, many, many Elites, you might be able to board "first".

I've done short cruises in a suite and it was very pleasant.

Assuming your ship has Club Class minisuites several of the above comments probably don't apply. You will be able to go to the Club Class dining area and be seated right away on the first night and although Sabatini's won't be open on the last morning you once again can go to the Club Class dining section for breakfast.

If your ship has a Thermal Suite that can be a relaxing perk on your sea days.

In the five years since we first sailed in a full suite we have switched back and forth between full suites (5), oceanview (2), balcony (3) and minisuites (2) so it can be done [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Assuming your ship has Club Class minisuites several of the above comments probably don't apply. You will be able to go to the Club Class dining area and be seated right away on the first night and although Sabatini's won't be open on the last morning you once again can go to the Club Class dining section for breakfast.

If your ship has a Thermal Suite that can be a relaxing perk on your sea days.

In the five years since we first sailed in a full suite we have switched back and forth between full suites (5), oceanview (2), balcony (3) and minisuites (2) so it can be done [emoji6]

Thanks for reminding me....Old school and forgot about Club Class Dining. I get to experience both (Club Class Dining and Thermal Suites) since I generally do the suite life on the Grand and Golden. Looking forward to my voyage on the Caribbean this fall (in a suite).

Thanks for reminding me....Old school and forgot about Club Class Dining. I get to experience both (Club Class Dining and Thermal Suites) since I generally do the suite life on the Grand and Golden. Looking forward to my voyage on the Caribbean this fall (in a suite).

The Golden Princess doesn't have a Thermal Suite, not personally sure about the Grand Princess.

For those who cruise in both balconies and suites, do you find it a nice change, or ???

Our family of 3 (2 adults, one [now] teen) has cruised mini-suites perhaps half a dozen times on Grand-class ships. (We have a mini on a Regal Princess Baltic cruise later this summer [having considered + and - for the ship and for the category].)

Our most recent Princess cruise, though, was a 7-day Caribbean on Emerald Princess, where the pricing was attractive and we chose an aft suite. We had previously visited each of the ports (indeed, we didn't disembark all week) and figured we'd make good use of the suite perks during a week "at sea".

We loved it!

YMMV, but we particularly enjoyed

• Afternoon tea on the large balcony
  • Sabatini's breakfast
  • Thermal Suite access
  • Balcony loungers
  • ...as well as the larger room, closets, lavatory...

We worried that, having sailed in a suite, we might never "go back", but as I mentioned we chose a Club Class mini for this summer's Regal cruise. After reading many reviews, Regal suites didn't seem a good value for the incremental spend (generally small balconies [except great suite balconies aft, and Regal apparently doesn't have Royal's soot problems], no Thermal Suite [The Enclave is additional cost, suite guests included]).

If you can afford a suite, even once; I suggest you sail in a suite, even once!

The Grand and Golden were the first two Grand class ships and they don't have Thermal Suites [emoji33] The first Grand class TS was introduced on the Star and they are also on the Coral and Island. Unfortunately that perk has disappeared on the Royal class ships as access to the expanded Enclave with the wonderful hydrotherapy pool is not a full suite perk [emoji45] The Caribbean does have a TS so enjoy [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with the comments by Cruisers from MA regarding the "value" of the extra cost for full suites on Royal class ship's. One of the significant perks of a full suite is the large balcony with two lounge chair that allow you to sit side by side and look out at the ocean and the table that seats four and allows you to have dinner on your balcony and even share with another couple if you wish. That perk was essentially lost with the move of the Penthouse suites to Riviera deck with the 5 foot deep balconies. The 4 foot deep balconies on all but the aft suites on the Royal class ships are a joke [emoji33]

Also, the loss of the Thermal Suite perk on the Royal Class ships further decreases the value of full suites on Royal class ships.

Full disclosure that we are Elite and we get a number of full suite benefits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

I turned down an upsell for a 3-day cruise. It was $199 per person to move from a balcony to a suite. Three things factored into my decision: (1) not having breakfast at Sabatini's all three mornings, (2) having to pay additional for the insurance due to our price going up, and (3) moving from the suite to a balcony since we were doing this cruise back to back with a 4-day one.

But if you want to try it out, go for it. Our main goal is just to make it on the ship. Our next cabin will be an inside. It wasn't worth $700 to me to move us up to a balcony cabin since the cruise is port intensive in a cool climate (British Isles).

That sounds like a good plan, OP. If you've never had a suite, you should try it. You'll discover if it's something you feel you absolutely have to have on future cruises or if it's just a nice option once in awhile. Once you're Elite, the perks really aren't that great IMO. I know people rave about breakfast in Sabatini's but it's not a big deal to us at all, so see for yourself if it's important to you. Bon voyage!

We've done 4 or 5 of the coastal cruises and have been offered the same upsell as a previous poster - $199 per person on two of those cruises. We took both offers and would do it again. But, you can't depend on getting an upsell offer so for just $200 more than our upsell offer you can get a suite. It might be a fairly inexpensive way to see if you feel a suite is worth it on future cruises.

We really enjoyed the suites (especially the Vista aft suite) but we actually wouldn't spend the money for a suite on a longer cruise.

One suite perc is the complimentary same-day laundry. You can actually send out your laundry out and get it back on a three-day cruise if you like.:)

This may be useful depending on how many vacation days you have before and after your three-day cruise.

We have been in a suite once, took an attractive upsell on a 12 day Holland America Baltic cruise. It was sheer perfection with the largest aft wrap around balcony imaginable. But since then have done everything from inside to balcony, yes, you can back to other cabins but always think fondly of "our" suite!

The Golden Princess doesn't have a Thermal Suite, not personally sure about the Grand Princess.

The Caribbean Princess is the only ship with Window Suites AND thermal suites. I love the Golden....but she's gone.

The Caribbean Princess is the only ship with Window Suites AND thermal suites. I love the Golden....but she's gone.

And Golden has those delicious suites on Deck 15 (Sun) ... Really wish it (and the Grand) had Thermal Suites

One suite perc is the complimentary same-day laundry. You can actually send out your laundry out and get it back on a three-day cruise if you like.:)

This may be useful depending on how many vacation days you have before and after your three-day cruise.

Just remember to have the bag ready before 9.00am or it's returned the next day. I made that mistake as a Blue Card cruiser-never again!

I asked for a 2nd helping of scrambled eggs in Sabatini's, "No problem Ma'am," and they were just as delicious as the 1st helping. I can't do scrambled eggs-standing at the stove hurts my back, so I happily enjoyed them on the cruise!

The Platinum/Elite/Suite Function in Skywalkers Bar on the Golden Princess was also nice. I had focaccia and smoked salmon-yummy. I was drinking Coke as I'd taken an anti-nausea tablet-1st cruise, and stupidly forgot and enjoyed the Welcome Glass of Sparkling wine! Gave myself a right headache too-that'll teach me to forget what medication I've taken!

Do enjoy your cruise!

Sorry for you, but I'll be enjoying her again in October 2018, the last Cruise before Ocean Medallion is activated. Can't find the Soda and More Package for pre-ordering, so will make sure I have On Board Credit to try and buy it, or will get the Buy 6 Sodas for the Price of 5 from Room Service,. Probably need several orders.

Just remember to have the bag ready before 9.00am or it's returned the next day. I made that mistake as a Blue Card cruiser-never again!

Since I usually bathe and change before dinner instead of in the morning, I normally leave my laundry on the bed for the steward when I go to dinner. That way, I get it back the next evening, and I don't have to worry about what time he picks it up the next morning.

I say go for it. Might be the only time you cruise in a suite, and it's nice to try out all the options. I wouldn't worry about getting spoiled and having to have a suite from here out. That probably happens, but it can't be a universal response.

About three years ago, we had a $199 per person upsell to a suite from a mini on a Caribbean 7-day cruise. We totally loved the experience, but it was once in a lifetime for us and had no effect on our future cruises. We know if we are to continue cruising, it won't be in suites, so we are happy with balconies and minisuites (mostly balconies)! I say do it and enjoy and then go on!