Is a one day cruise a cruise?

Onnie0047

The wife and I was introduced into cruising In about 1993, through a travel agency add in the Detroit News. For the sum of $99 each we bought a weeks stay in Freeport Bahamas with the now defunct passport international.

To get there from Miami we boarded the discovery 1, and began a 3 hour boat ride "on deck" to Freeport. We were offered the chance to upgrade to a below deck cabin, which looked smaller than a prisoner's cell, so we declined since we were going on a shoe string budget. But before we left home we did upgrade the motel to a supposed larger room at a more centrally located motel (WRONG!).

Now after 7 cruises I am trying to appease the wife and become a bit more social, so I (we) joined Cruise Critics. In our signature line I suggested we add all our cruises. But she said we can't add the one to Freeport because since it was only a Day cruise it don't count.

What say you all?

Since there is no reward for having many cruises listed, it is really up to you. If you want to list it, go ahead.

I swore I read somewhere the one with the most cruises win!

The post is really mean as tongue-in-cheek because there is no way I will ever pull the wife over to my Way of thinking!

I've seen rides on ferries listed in some signatures so, a one day beats those by a mile.:D The "cruise" in question is a different animal than cruises these days but, cruise lines count one days, aka, cruise to nowhere, toward their loyalty programs. I think your one day cruise counts, besides, you don't have to list it as being only one day.:p:D

In our signature line I suggested we add all our cruises. But she said we can't add the one to Freeport because since it was only a Day cruise it don't count.

What say you all?

I would say that it really does not matter at all. Nobody cares.

DON

I would say that it really does not matter at all. Nobody cares.

DON

Yep. Some of us (myself included) have signatures turned off. It makes reading the posts SO much easier for me. I just got tired of scrolling past one signature in particular that was over 3 screens long. :eek: Should I decide to look at a poster's signature it is very easy to do.

I count our Maine Windjammer Cruise as a cruise. It's a far cry from any of the other cruises we've taken. I have never bothered to make a list of our cruises in a signature here. I've also set it so that I don't see others' signatures in posts.

Now after 7 cruises I am trying to appease the wife and become a bit more social, so I (we) joined Cruise Critics. In our signature line I suggested we add all our cruises. But she said we can't add the one to Freeport because since it was only a Day cruise it don't count.

What say you all?

many people turn off signatures so they won't have a clue how many cruises you list.

Some peoples signatures are ridiculously long.... I solved that by not listing every darn cruise, but rather just the companies I have sailed with. Shortens things up and my memory is so bad I'd miss some anyway!

I wish others would shorten there list as it would make reading CC so much easier!

Your signature is exactly that... Yours! Yours to make any way you want ;)

PS if it was me I would not bother with a one day ride but that's just me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

What needs a Code of Ethics??? To list or not to list????? So many other things in this world to worry about!

You now Peace on Earth, thermonuclear war, little red riding hoods safety drill.....

Safe Journey!

Edited by nana541

What needs a Code of Ethics??? To list or not to list????? So many other things in this world to worry about!

You now Peace on Earth, thermonuclear war, little red riding hoods safety drill.....

Safe Journey!

how about a limit as to how many lines a signature CAN be?! most other message boards do that. it is frankly ridiculous to have a one line response in a thread take up four screens because the signature is so long you musts roll down forever.

how about a limit as to how many lines a signature CAN be?! most other message boards do that. it is frankly ridiculous to have a one line response in a thread take up four screens because the signature is so long you musts roll down forever.

Ditto!!!!!!

Safe Journey!

The need is becoming increasingly evident: what with people including over-long signatures, wanting to include (or questioning the inclusion of) one day "cruises", trans-Sound ferry trips (not to mention the profoundly disturbing question of the Staten Island Ferry), and people not recognizing the kidding in posts which are clearly not serious --- it's a minefield here: guidance from the Moderators would be so helpful.

Ok so ferry rides seem a bit much to me too! And yes I think there should be a 3 - 4 line limit, plus maybe a count down badge for your next cruise. But this is not our board or our rules ;)

Now back to "Little Red Riding Hoods" safety drill, do you think it might be a poor decision to have the "Wolf" at her muster station :)

We did Seaescape in spring 1989. Like you it took us to Freeport where we stayed for 3 days and then we returned on Seaescape.

No, that was not a cruise,it was ferry service to Freeport. We did get a sort've of show but the ship had it in a smallish lounge/dining room as they had no theatre. There was a singer and 4 or 5 dancers. None very good.

It certainly did not entice me to want to take a cruise. In fact I was very disappointed and decided cruising was not for me.

Nearly 10 years later in October 1998 we did take a 4 day Carnival cruise on their oldest crappiest ship ,the Tropicale. Hubby had bought that as our 15th anniversary gift. Not much of a cruise but enough of a cruise for me to realize cruising was fun and what we had done on the Seaescape was NOT a cruise. Lol! So my first cruise was in 1998 not 1989.