Carnival is so bad and it is just for first time cruisers

guxu

DH and I have sailed Carnival many times. I had sailed Princess in the past but DH had not until last March. We always book suites. He was sold on Princess. The suite amenities are well worth the additional money to us. We have one cruise coming up in about a week. This will probably be one of our last cruises on Carnival. I know the suites cost less but sometimes paying more for something is worth it.

I've been on the Eurodam, nice ship but 5 star, I don't think so. I've also done a lot of Carnival and really there isn't much difference, except the price/ I have to admit I don't like sushi but even if I did that's a stupid reason to choose a cruise line.

No, Carnival is not just for first time cruisers. I have completed 8 cruises since September of 2011 and have two more booked.

Carnival may be more economically friendly than some of the other lines but that is what has allowed us to sail as much as we have. Me thinks OP friend must have reasons other than free sushi for not wanting to sail Carnival. And that is OK.

There are many ways to spend your vacation dollars and each of us must decide for ourselves how we want to spend them.

Economically Friendly...good one.

Only $300.00 ? That's a good deal. HAL has the superior product. Carnival is geared for the first time cruiser and to the party crowd. After more than 20 cruises with carnival we have decided to try princess. Carnival has just gone too far down hill. Especially in the areas of entertainment and food. Also too many woohoo people. We no longer are content to just pay a low price and settle for the deterioration of the experience. If we have to pay more for what we want, so be it. Life is short and getting shorter.

I have a feeling that my friend has the same mindset as yours, but she did not express it clearly. Her family and us sailed with Princess three times. At least we all agree that Princess is great.

Edited by guxu

Wouldn't pay $300 more for "free" sushi, but would gladly pay $300 for the overall experience. We sailed on HAL for the first time last year and the experience was exceptional. And honestly, we didnt find the age difference to be that dramatic as some people like to say. We are in our late 30's to early 40's and didnt feel out of place.

Based upon industry number I have seen either your cruise was a blip or your out of place meter needs re-adjusting.;)

Based upon industry number I have seen either your cruise was a blip or your out of place meter needs re-adjusting.;)

Admittedly, we were on a 7 night itinerary, during the summer, and from a US port, which probably skewed the demographics. There were many younger couples, as well as families onboard when we cruised (including our 14 family member group).

But yes, had it been one of Holland's traditionally longer and more exotic itineraries, I'm sure that fellow passengers would have been a bit more "mature".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wouldn't pay $300 more for "free" sushi, but would gladly pay $300 for the overall experience. We sailed on HAL for the first time last year and the experience was exceptional. And honestly, we didnt find the age difference to be that dramatic as some people like to say. We are in our late 30's to early 40's and didnt feel out of place.

did your kids go? if so did they like the kids club better? Worse? about the same?

I know you did not take the kids on the pacific coastal and you suggested the kids might not have been thrilled with that kids club.

But yes, had it been one of Holland's traditionally longer and more exotic itineraries, I'm sure that fellow passengers would have been a bit more "mature".

Thanks for being kind in the wording..... Edited by jimbo5544

did your kids go? if so did they like the kids club better? Worse? about the same?

The kids did come along, but they didn't use the kids club much because we were traveling with the extended family, so they played with their cousins instead of going to Club HAL most of the time.

But to answer your question, Club HAL is a joke compared to Camp Carnival and Adventure Ocean. They did have a nice list of activities, and the staff was very professional, but the facilities were small and limited. We chose HAL because of the destination and because its what the group agreed to, but I would not choose them for a family cruise with small children over more family friendly cruise lines.

For me, I would prefer a cruise with more activities. From what I understand (it has been many years since we sailed CCL and without kids) Carnival has the level of activities to keep my kids as well as my husband and myself occupied. We aren't satisfied with sitting by the pool and looking at the water for hours on end. But that is why there are different cruise lines. Everybody wants something different out of their cruise vacation.

However, your friend sounds like a huge snob.

Thanks for being kind in the wording.....

You're welcome! I'm in a good mood today! :D

Edited by Tapi

My 39th cruise is on the Carnival Liberty and I've sailed six different lines. There are many of us who debunk her first claim.

Sushi? I can't even stand the smell walking by the sushi bar and I would never eat that bait. So not a factor for me.

HAL does appeal to a different clientele. I'll be 60 on my next birthday and I'm not old enough to sail with them. And I enjoy a smoke-free balcony, so HAL won't be in my travel plans anytime soon.

To each his own...

No offense, your friend sounds like a stuck up b*&ch :p

CCL and HAL are two very different lines. As they should be! They have the same owners and as such target two different markets.

Personally, I'd never book a HAL cruise at this point in my life. Don't care for small ships, don't like being overly formal, don't like having an average age that high, prefer having more to do on board.

I wouldn't take it personally, I'd remind them "to each their own" and tell them to enjoy their floating retirement home ;) I had clients who tried HAL once and their comment when they returned was that "the average age on board was deceased" lol so if we're making sweeping accusations, I'm just gonna throw that out there!

Loved your response and right on the mark. Sounds to me like that particular person feels that CCL is not good enough for them.

Well, I found a good Carnival deal and shared it to a friend. But that was her reply: Carnival is so bad and it is just for first time cruisers. She booked a HAL cruise and said it is well worth it for extra $300, because Carnival (we are talking about Dream) does not have (free) sushi.

I know they changed sushi bar to taste bar. But does Carnival Dream still have sishi somewhere? And does HAL have free sushi on all its ships?

That's like saying HAL is only for people in wheelchairs. Well, actually, it is. :p

Most people couldn't care less about sushi.