Is balcony stateroom worth it??

LEO supporter

"Worth it" is a matter of personal choice. To us it is and we only choose balcony staterooms. But to others it isn't as the cost is typically higher or having the ability to sit outdoors to enjoy the sea or night air isn't as important.

My suggestion would be that if it is within your budget, try it once to see whether or not it is something you'll enjoy. You can always choose inside or OV staterooms next time around.

To us, yes. Plus we've seen dolphins on each balcony we've had, so DW won't let me book anything else:o. Personally we like them closer to the water. I agree with leaveitallbehind, book one and see if you like it. If you don't think it's worth it then next time you can book an inside or ocean view.

Edited by sparks1093

Other than sitting out watching the world go by and the wind blowing thru my hair is there really any extra benefit to being in a balcony stateroom? Carnival Magic is the boat and hoping to get level 9.

Morning coffee on your balcony, with the sunrise or watching the sunset, it doesn't get much better than that in my opinion. Plus the fresh air.

Other than sitting out watching the world go by and the wind blowing thru my hair is there really any extra benefit to being in a balcony stateroom? Carnival Magic is the boat and hoping to get level 9.

Hi there

The key to whether a balcony is worth the extra money is how much you use it. If it was just for the extra cabin space, an OV cabin will give extra space compared to an interior.

How much time you spend sitting on the balcony will determine if there is any value.

We had a balcony on one of our Caribbean cruises and we thought it was a waste. I realized I don't like sitting around if it is hot and humid. If I am not at a beach or a pool, I would much prefer being somewhere with A/C. After that we decided not to bother with balconies again. However this spring when we to Alaska we were offered a balcony and I figured, why not. It was a really good decision. We were out there almost every day. Saw whales and eagles and bears. (great weather, not hot, not humid)

Best thing is to give it a try and decide for yourself.

have a great cruise

1. Sunrise with coffee

2. Sitting in the fresh sea air while hubby in the shower and visa-versa

3. People watch while in port

4. Pier runner malady

5. Fish watching

6. Star gazing

7. Most times, there will be another ship cruising near-by and beautiful to watch at night

8. Bottle of wine to wind up the evening

9. Sunset

10. NOT ME....but I have seen it posted many times similar to the mile high club. (cannot remember what cruisers call it)

:):):):)

If you can afford it, try it. Nothing else like it in the world.

10. NOT ME....but I have seen it posted many times similar to the mile high club. (cannot remember what cruisers call it)

Obviously from people who don't realize - or worse yet, don't care - that balconies are not very private from your neighbors and those above, let alone the ever present security cameras that rarely miss too much! :rolleyes: :D

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1. Sunrise with coffee

2. Sitting in the fresh sea air while hubby in the shower and visa-versa

3. People watch while in port

4. Pier runner malady

5. Fish watching

6. Star gazing

7. Most times, there will be another ship cruising near-by and beautiful to watch at night

8. Bottle of wine to wind up the evening

9. Sunset

If you can afford it, try it. Nothing else like it in the world.

The Balcony Club.;)

"Worth it" is a meaningless term without knowing what the "it" (the price differential) is. For a T/A of say 16 days, an additional $1,000 - or about $60 per day - would be my limit. For a 7 day port intensive Caribbean cruise, I might draw the line at about $500 - again about $60 per day.

I'm talking vs. an ocean view: I think I'd prefer my living room to an inside.

To us, yes. Plus we've seen dolphins on each balcony we've had, so DW won't let me book anything else:o. Personally we like them closer to the water. I agree with leaveitallbehind, book one and see if you like it. If you don't think it's worth it then next time you can book an inside or ocean view.

Who would put Dolphins on your Balcony?

Cheers!:D

Larger rooms.

On Carnival, balcony staterooms aren't necessarily larger. Definitely larger than an interior on most ships. Ocean view cabins can be larger as they can absorb some of the balcony square footage.

For us, a balcony isn't worth it. The few times we've had one we forced ourselves to go out. We prefer to be up on the public decks. We've had regular balconies, obstructed balconies and a couple of suites (on HAL).

Over the years my answer has changed. When my kids were younger the room was a place to bring them back for a rest. We spent a lot of time outside of the room doing other activities as a family. Insides and Ocean views were our go to rooms for affordability and convenience. As the kids have grown up and we started getting separate rooms or not bringing them with us as they are now both adults, I have come to enjoy the tranquility that a balcony gives to me. We no longer need to try to hit all the activities, been there, done that. My cruising vacations are now more about relaxation and a balcony provides that for me more than anything else on a cruise. I have a real hard time not booking one. In fact every time I book an inside or ocean view for DH and myself, I eventually end up upgrading to a balcony before our cruise.

oh hell yes.

I refuse to sail in anything less.. one, being NATURAL Light. 2 being the ability to get fresh sea breezes in my skivvies and 3 being able to have a private space all to my own self without being disturbed by other pax, music I don't want to listen to or other distractions.

also nice is breakfast at sunrise in your bathrobe

I had a balcony on the Magic and loved it, so I'd recommend it, a private outdoor space is great. That said, we got a great deal, our next cruise is just an OV, for me there's a price difference number, has to probably be under $100 for me but YMMV.

We recently booked our first inside for Alaska because the last time up there with a balcony it was so cold and rainy we seldom used it and for glacier viewing we wanted to see both ways so spent our "outside" time up on a high deck. Given the extra premium the cruise lines ask for balconies to Alaska it would have been a waste for us. Another factor was late night and early morning light around Summer solstice time that even the best curtains can't completely block. Also it's on HAL the last of the balcony smoking allowed so did not want to risk paying for a balcony we could not use due to smoke.

BUT... for warmer climates like our So. Caribbean cruise and the Transatlantics (at least parts were warm) we really like a late night nightcap brandy on the balcony dressed (or undressed) for bed and gazing at the stars. The tropical warmth is very soothing. Also, for the TAs we could hand wash items and dry on the chairs (with clamps) on sea days.

We prefer oceanview to balcony. Had a balcony for Alaska cruise, only used it once. We like being low to the water, to look right out at the waves, dolphins, whales, etc. Even on the cruises where balcony prices dropped below OV prices, we've kept our OV. But....that's just our preference.

If you are on the correct side of the ship, balconies are fun when you leave port. Also nice for room service breakfast.

Depends on you, the ship, the balcony, and the itinerary. I'm generally not in my cabin enough to make a balcony worth it, and I don't care about sitting out there drinking coffee in my bathrobe. But others love them and use them a lot.

On one cruise my cabin's balcony was so tiny it wasn't worth bothering with, but since there were three of us in the cabin and the other two were clotheshorses who hogged ALL of the drawer and closet space it was a useful place for me to put my stuff. But my friends had a balcony that was bigger than the cabin and was just fabulous. I've never done an Alaska cruise, but I would get a balcony for that.

Light, view.

I'd be tempted by a cabin with the wall all glass, and a window that opens, but not many of those.

there's a split decision in my house ...

spousal unit likes to nap in the afternoon on a cruise and when she naps likes it DARK so prefers an inside cabin cuz with the lights out it is DARK. And in general would rather spend the extra $$ on something else.

Often she compromises tho and let's me have the balc' which I prefer ... the ability to always have a quiet place to go sit and watch the water go by - but occasionally stress producing when it can't be enjoyed because of smoke or noise ....

And as the kids have gotten old enuf to cruise on their own they are certainly in the 'inside costs less so we can do more' mode ....