St.Maarten. Name your Top 3 things to do in

St. Maarten. We've booked a guide for a very small group and she plans to custom tailor a tour of St. Maarten based on our wishes. So I'm compiling a list!

What would you do, go see, etc. ?

Thanks in advance!

Marigot, Maho Beach, and Orient Beach.

Marigot, Maho Beach, and Orient Beach.

I agree with these locations. We went to Marigot & Orient Beach. Next time, we will go to Maho Beach. I'm sorry we missed that. We also went shopping in town. I loved that, hubby stayed in the park & watched the chickens, then we went through the straw market (our first straw market). If you've never been try that.

Marigot - Stop and have a dessert at Serafina's. It was rated the best pastry shop in the world at one time. Even if you don't eat anything, just window shopping is a treat. Some of the desserts are beautiful.

Wow, nice recommendations! I've got a list brewing now.

I'm in a fog on the 'straw market' though. Can you explain?

And you can bet we'll make a stop at that bakery!

I'm sure others can explain it better than me, but it is a market of locals selling their goods & bargaining with you. I didn't realize it (the bargaining) the first time I went, but the second time they quoted a price & I said no & started to walk away. They kept dropping the price & I ended up getting it for half the price they originally wanted. The bargaining can be fun & the items they sell can be interesting.

I'm sure others can explain it better than me, but it is a market of locals selling their goods & bargaining with you. I didn't realize it (the bargaining) the first time I went, but the second time they quoted a price & I said no & started to walk away. They kept dropping the price & I ended up getting it for half the price they originally wanted. The bargaining can be fun & the items they sell can be interesting.

OK, got it. Thank you!

These look like great recommendations. Marigot (I love sweets) Maho (husband is dying to see it). Orient beach, I 've heard is a nice beach. But what is the best way to to all of these? Book through the cruise? Or get a cab when at port?

These look like great recommendations. Marigot (I love sweets) Maho (husband is dying to see it). Orient beach, I 've heard is a nice beach. But what is the best way to to all of these? Book through the cruise? Or get a cab when at port?

We contracted Joyce Prince tour agency. She'll custom buils whatever you want to see and places them in a schedule that works for effiecny and timing!

If you enjoy hiking there is a fort above marigot that you can hike to. Nice walk and good views. Our cab dropped us at the trailhead, we hiked up, and then we walked down to marigot, explored the town, and took a cab back to phillipsburg.

Edited by Viv0828

I know its not for everyone, we did it on a rented Harley Davidson. It was a great day of site seeing. We first went to Orient Beach and drove through Marigot. On the way back we stopped at Maho.

Grand Case for a delishious meal and being on a boat trip preferably a catamaran would be at the top of my list on any given day. The 3rd would vary depending on who I am with and what I have done in the days before. A Maho/Mullet beach visit or Marigot for shopping and Sarafina's would be top contenders for me along with a long walk that ended at a beach like the time that we walked from the Simpson Bay bridge to Karakter's on Simpson Bay and then over to Maho and back.

I take a day sail on the Random Wind every time I go, but I know the OP said they already have a driver scheduled for a land tour.

Airplane noise screaming overhead ranks well below zero on my scale of things I want to do on vacation.

Do grab a Guavaberry Colada at the kiosk pierside to get you through that final long walk back to the ship at the end of the day.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked Bernard Tours. Heard all good things. We all taking Tour 2 When on line and booked it.

Hope you love it as much as we did last year. When you stop in the open air shopping area the shops and bakeries are across the street. I didn't think to go into a bakery because it was do hot outside. When we got back in the van someone on the tour was bragging about their Napoleon.

St. Maarten. We've booked a guide for a very small group and she plans to custom tailor a tour of St. Maarten based on our wishes. So I'm compiling a list!

What would you do, go see, etc. ?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest that, since you've booked her, visiting Joyce's website and take a look at her 'Typical Tour' to get some ideas. They sound good to me.

By the way, she's not an Agency or such, as it is just Joyce, herself. You were lucky to book her, in our opinion.

gary

We've been to St Maarten a few times and want to do something different when we visit in August. I've contacted Diane at Random Wind after hearing such great things but honestly am a little wary of seasickness being that it's a sailboat and not a catamaran. We did a catamaran tour in Barbados several years ago and did not have any problems with feeling the motion. I would hate to spend the day on the boat and not be able to enjoy it! Does anyone know anything about the French Connection catamaran tour??